I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Frosty, I don’t have any tea, I’ve never been able to get my pinky to stick out right to be able to drink it. I’ve got plenty of good dark roast coffee that I make in one of the old drip pots every morning, nothing added to it, couple of cups in the morning is enough for the day. I’ll try some of that. 

John, I like the looks of your handle, but I wanted to highlight the grain in mine. The stain didn’t quite bring it out like I wanted, but after a couple coats of BLO it’s close enough for a first try. 

Alexandr, that’s about 75 yrs of accumulation for the area I live in 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alexandr, my dad was in the service and we were stationed in Germany when I was young, I can remember walking to school through a path/trench of snow over my head that the soldiers would walk down every morning from our quarters to school. Beautiful country that I miss, other than the snow. I would love to be able to visit your country, but at this time I will have to wait for the pictures you send of your spectacular work and the wonderful architecture that is in your country. Hopefully things will change before I’m too old to travel and I will be able to visit you 

9 hours ago, Les L said:

Alexandr, my dad was in the service and we were stationed in Germany when I was young, I can remember walking to school through a path/trench of snow over my head that the soldiers would walk down every morning from our quarters to school. Beautiful country that I miss, other than the snow.

Where in germany was this and when I've got contacts in the swiss, german, french corner and their lucky to get an inch throughout the winter few years back they got like 2.5 inches for 2 or 3 days area shut down til it melted away and where so exited to se that much at once also was first snow in 3-4 years. though ive heard about more snow in years past

lol meanwhile i sit here with 2-2.5ft outside and more coming for the next few days

M.J.Lampert

3 hours ago, Les L said:

Baumberg the first tour and Kitzagen

Les, i was in Kitzingen (spelled correctly, :lol:) with the 1/69. Cant find my pic of the leaning tower. Then i got to got to Aschaffenburg with the 4/66.  

Alexander, that is a lot of snow. And here i sit whining about the 6 inches we got yesterday.  But it is supposed to get back up in the upper 30's or 40's next week so it will be gone soon enough. 

Billy, we went up to the top of the leaning tower when we were there, the bottom two floors had fences around the low side, at that time, the upper floors were open where you could walk to the edges, if you were dumb enough. 
I can’t remember the unit my dad was in when he was there, he was artillery, we have pictures with the big guns set up at Grafenfier. (?)

On 1/28/2022 at 3:32 PM, Grouser said:

I scored a bucket of balls from a ball mill. They weren't forged,, I just drilled a hole through it slipped it on,,, kind of disappointing huh

Not disappointing at all. We use what we have. No need to make a ball when one is at hand. 

This is what I plan to work on in the shop this afternoon. It is two failed WI Christmas ornaments. I forge welded them together to make them thicker. But rather than rescue them, I’ve now decided to go for a small neck-knife instead. One or the other of the small file pieces will be the steel sandwiched inside. I hope to end up with something leaf shaped with a cutting edg on one side and a false edge on the other. (Cutting edges on both sides would be illegal I think. Handle will either be UV darkened bois d’arc or bone. Or perhaps antler. 

5D46892A-C246-4FAD-B041-370C479B713E.jpeg

On 2/3/2022 at 9:20 AM, Les L said:

I made a mouse hawk yesterday, my first wrapped eye

Les- That's really neat! I don't think I'd ever heard of a mouse hawk before. I want to make a tomahawk but dont have the right flat bar right now. However, I think I could pull off a mousehawk and such a small one would probably be quicker and less material to mess with (I've got a small forge and not the best tongs). Also, I think I would be able to use one of that size for throwing at home. A full size might be a bit big for my small property. As far as your handle- I've torched all my hammers, and I LOVE it. It gives a great feel, and if you hold the flame back a bit and are careful, you can get your grain to really pop beautifully.

Chimaera, thanks for the feedback, I started with 6” of 1/4 x1 flat bar and inserted the hc bit, a piece of spring steel. I followed JLP services video for the wrapped eye tomahawk  (thank you Jennifer) and was able to complete it. I’ll do some work with flame coloring the handles, along with all of the other great tips I’ve received. I asked my wife to buy some tea the next time she went grocery shopping, she said “what” very loudly while looking at me very funny. I told her, don’t ask I’m trying experiments that very knowledgeable people have advised for staining the handles. I currently have some rusty metal soaking in vinegar, thanks John, I was barely able to find some rusty metal, but I persevered while I dug through my scrap pile. I’ll report my findings on the different processes as try them. 

Les, if memory serves i believe it was the 9th artillery there. We were supported by the 1/9, again if i recall correctly. 

Ah, Graf, that was, well it was Graf. Bet your dad spent a few days at area mud in Schweinfurt too. The 69th was the armor unit there so i was one of those guys you saw cruising around on an Abrams. 

So i went out yesterday and today. Ran out of fuel for the heater and i just aint into 17*F anymore so i called it a day. Made a wall sconce candle holder. I made some tear drop punches a while back and gave them a try. Failed horribly. The punches worked fined i just cant get them back in same place or at the same angles and such. So i flipped the plate over and took off the edges. 

The failure.

IMG_20220204_160936.thumb.jpg.ae51b089c2b890cbbb6b592d6edf0407.jpg

And here is what i cam out with.

IMG_20220204_165001.thumb.jpg.c77f3bd86267da2baaa1939e3ae70a68.jpg

Yeah i know, i should clean up sometimes.

Billy, I was about 10 then and can remember sitting in his lap driving one down a trail, through trees, and him telling me not to hit one. Fast forward a few years later, after he came back from his first tour in Nam, after a “Fire Power Demonstration” as it was called in those days they were one person short to bring all of the pieces of self propelled artillery back, guess who the 15 yr old was placed in the second one and told to follow every one of my hand signals 

3 hours ago, Les L said:

6” of 1/4 x1

Do you think that 3/16x1 1/4 would work? I guess I could try to thicken it a little, but I've got a bar sitting here that would be perfect if that's acceptable. I've also got leaf spring flowing out my ears, so that shouldn't be a problem.