I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I forge a small kitchen knife or if the cable I welded up. Ground it down to 220 grit and then did a quick acid etch on it. It looks good I'm hoping that it'll harden up and hold an edge well too. I've seen lots of knives and hatchets made out of cable on the Pinterest and the YouTube, but I've also seen a lot of knives out of railroad spikes.....  This cable sparks like high carbon so I think it should do fine. 

D82018B5-DCD1-4A9F-9D14-499BD37B822D.jpeg.e3aad8c360732e88ec8cd1802fc274c7.jpeg

FA482F87-CDB2-450D-BD06-DB3B4A2D0DDD.jpeg.6700591b8c954e51fa013502df9951dc.jpeg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 hours ago, Frosty said:

. There was a really neat demo put on by the factory rep from Victor where his torch has a thumb valve that turned the preheat flame off and he finished the cuts with just the oxy jet. 

Have you seen the footage of the guy making an oxy lance from bacon and cutting through a baking sheet? It was on a PBS documentary, Unlocking The Elements was the title iirc. 

Pnut

First forging on the new anvil yesterday - really loving it. It’s finally the right height and mounted rock solid with no ring at all - silicone underneath really took the noise down a lot. Anyway I was making these wall hooks for my mom for Mother’s Day. It was going well until I very stupidly burned my hand. Could have been much worse but man did it still hurt - that brought my forging to a close for the day. Good thing I got her flowers as well. I’ll finish the middle hook which will be a heart some time this week. 
These would have been done Saturday except I was woken up at 3am because of an accident at the warehouse I manage - an accident that ended up being fatal so I had to spend most of the day there. So for anyone who works with any type of heavy equipment please be safe. Horrible things can happen so quickly if you’re not completely on your game.

F2B16E84-2FDF-43CD-9EA2-1685BA9E69D5.jpeg

5E6AD90A-BCF8-412E-B808-294D5FE6270B.jpeg

LOL it fell out of my forge and into the quench tank when I was turned around. Somehow it didn’t dawn on me that the hot end would be the one sticking out of the water. I definitely need that shirt. I’m going to put some kind of work holding bar together next weekend so nothing can fall out again. Lesson learned. 

"Third hand"  I added one to my cylindrical pipe forge.  The forge was made from a section of Oxygen welding tank so lots of metal to weld accessories too.  I found a piece of sq tubing and welded it parallel to the long axis of the tank and found a piece of sq stock that would slide back and forth in it when aligned; but would "lock" in place when let rotate a few degrees. Bent an L in one end and have an easily adjustable third hand---I added another on the other side so I could have one for the back opening of the forge too.

Remember to always use TONGS to adjust the third hand as it gets hot too!

made some headway on the vise project.  Got the jaw formed, and ready for poking a screw hole in it. By the time I had a slitter, and drift made of proper size, it was late in the day, the iron was cold, so i decided that I'd best get to getting ready for work tomorrow.  As I work away from home 4 days a week, it takes some getting ready. I have to make sure everything around the house is good to go without me, then I have to get all my stuff together for work, gas up the car, etc.  So hole punching will wait 'till next week.

IMG_20210510_150613036 (Copy).jpg

started my job today from 6am-11am i was sweeping the shop floor (-coffee break) from 11-2;30 i was sorting nuts, bolts and washers(-lunch). so i guess i swept the floor till i went nuts;) luckly they said i might move to a new job (not janitorish (most of the time)) in a week or two

alexandr :wow!!

bluerooster: looks excellent IMO

M.J.Lampert

Bluerooster, maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment, but I think the post vise project is great. It may not be super practical from a time/cost balance, but the experience will be fantastic, and the satisfaction of using a tool you made yourself is priceless. (Personally, I’d probably never get it done.) I’m watching to see how it goes.

David

Made a little owl talisman or trinket.  I have wanted to make one for while, and finally got around to it.

image.jpeg.a45855cff22afd4ba70565421827142f.jpegimage.jpeg.2d2cd0ef6e134e8084a606f5a28900cc.jpegimage.jpeg.a8f53cdfaa77746d63c526448a9c7c8d.jpeg

Also figured out how to post on iforgeiron, and got the anvil stand bands put on.

image.jpeg.669fea125bc42a35ebfa7dd525af1db7.jpeg

5 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

"Third hand"  I added one to my cylindrical pipe forge.  The forge was made from a section of Oxygen welding tank so lots of metal to weld accessories too.  I found a piece of sq tubing and welded it parallel to the long axis of the tank and found a piece of sq stock that would slide back and forth in it when aligned; but would "lock" in place when let rotate a few degrees. Bent an L in one end and have an easily adjustable third hand---I added another on the other side so I could have one for the back opening of the forge too.!

Do you have a drawing or photo?

1 hour ago, BenW said:

Made a little owl talisman or trinket.  I have wanted to make one for while, and finally got around to it.

Looks cool. What punches or fullers did you use?  Do you have a holder or something to work on them in?

5 hours ago, alexandr said:

Monday 10 May. 14 hours, 400 km, 3 completed objects.

Is there a net, screen, or glass for it, or are bitting insects not a problem in St. Petersburg?

Thanks DHarris, I have a brace/stand that I made from angle iron that can be used in a vise.  It helps when doing detail work with punches or chisels.

thumbnail_IMG_2886.jpg

Below are the shaping tools I used.  First punch was for general shaping, second chisel was for lines feet etc, third is for eye pupils, fourth one is for eye iris, far right one was used to make the facial recesses for eyes.

thumbnail_IMG_2887.jpg.d807a33642053fb6daa533f85bc81182.jpg

I'll try to get a picture of my third hand; but it may be a while as I have to work late today at the office. (Making up for a Dr visit; my hip has been working to improve my Hephaestus impression lately and when it got so it was interfering with my sleep I decided to have it looked at.)

Thanks everyone.

That would be fun to make a chess set.  Definitely would take some time!  I love the chess set put together by Thak, through various contributors.  I was actually watching his video of that chess set on youtube not too long ago.

Well i burned my self. The web between my thumb and finger. Not a bad burn just a little red and puffy, but i thought ya'll might get a kick out of how. So i was drifting an ax eye open and of course the drift gets a little stuck. So i put him in the old vice give a few whacks to the back and the corners and the drift starts to loosen. So i whack the business end of the drift protruding from the eye and out she flies. With ninja like reflexes i managed to catch it in mid air...by the hot end. 

25 minutes ago, BillyBones said:

With ninja like reflexes i managed to catch it in mid air...by the hot end. 

Billybones maybe you need this too??

On 5/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Talk with Glenn about buying the Tshirt with  "You hold the cold end and hit the hot end---get it right next time!" on it.  My favorite for when I'm teaching new smiths!

M.J.Lampert

19 hours ago, DHarris said:

Is there a net, screen, or glass for it, or are bitting insects not a problem in St. Petersburg?

St. Petersburg is built on swamps, so mosquitoes are a big problem for us. Everyone solves it as best he can. I burn mosquito coils.

1mIwGTLszPk.jpg