I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

It doesn't matter, top and bottom tools don't need to be hardened at all with a couple exceptions. Cold cuts being the only one that comes to mind can use proper heat treatment. 

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Went to the scrap yard Saturday morning; then started cleaning on my shop to make running conduit easier. Good to have encouragement to deal with some areas that have been neglected for far too long...More cleaning is planned for today if my hip doesn't complain too much.

I video chatted with my 12 year old nephew about smithing and gave him the basics, explaining the anvil,  hammers and what I know.  He lives on the east coast but next time they come to visit he wants to try making something.   

I worked on cleaning up for the electrification, moved a bunch of stuff in front of the shop, threw a bunch of stuff in the truck to go *to* the scrapyard---possibly a sign of the impending apocalypse; and In side I moved an overly heaped up workbench more to the center of the shop to allow access on the wall. (I did take the 6.5" postvise off first; but it was still a pain even with rollers, levers, a car jack and a come-a-long.  None of the minions were available to help.

I've been having some hip trouble and that didn't help it any. I couldn't find a comfortable position to sleep in; so I guess I get to call the Doc today about it.

Finally built a second bench opposite the anvil. Mounted my vise (just bench as I do not have a post vise just yet) so now I can just turn around to use it for twist and such rather than running to the back of my shed to do it. Got a mounting plate and ran a second circuit to it for the new grinder that should hopefully be done before long.

Thomas, I thought you were mostly cybernetic at this point? Does your hip just need an oil change per chance?

"This is the warranty management division.  We have important information about your husbands extended warranty.  If you would like to speak to a representative, press one now...."

Should you be concerned about all the spam calls she may be getting?

She might also want to check out "Discworld Igor" as well

Sir Terry Pratchett wrote about them.  The Clan Motto was "What goes around, comes around".  They were skilled surgeons who were always ready to lend a hand, or someone's hand anyway

One of my Twin boys's middle name is Samuel, After Sam Vimes.  My Wife's favorite minivan was nicknamed Sybil after Vimes' wife (yes, we name our cars).  Even my avatar is Sgt. Detritus with his trusty Piecemaker

The Going Postal Movie is OK.  I liked it well enough even though it altered the story in some ways I was not too fond of.  Sir Terry even had a small cameo in it.

I think my current favorite book is Making Money, but it wobbles around depending on my mood.  

If anyone reading this has a pre-teen or early teen daughter, I HIGHLY recommend Terry Pratchetts' Tiffany Aching books, starting with "Wee Free Men".  For your Daughter, I mean.  You can read them too, but they are aimed at teens. 

One of my 5 grandsons is name Sam after Samuel Colt, I sort of lost it when they told me his twin sister was named Miranda. (My SiL is a former cop out on a medical retirement; claims they never considered "Miranda" in that context.)

I am so glad that Granny Weatherwax is not my MiL!

Well, this is the best and most unexpected thing I'm going to read all day. 

I'm in my smithing off-season right now (otherwise known as gardening season), but I'm working on getting myself and my BiL to the upcoming Hammer-In. Other than that, just grinning every time a new sprout comes up. 

My favorite Discworld books are all focused on either Sam Vimes or Moist, though Mort was pretty great too. I love Thud! and Making Money/Going Postal. The idea of Sam going back in time and needing to find a pair of boots with really thin soles so as to feel the city under his feet is just marvelous to me. 

so this was saterdays work:

i welded plates to the bottom of a skider canter pivot then attached it to a stump with lag bolts the 2x10 are to raise it up more as this was a piece destined for the axe and then a 16" stove:ph34r:

1767044343_IMG_00921.thumb.JPG.46960691166050b915ab2fb445deb803.JPG

next i was called away to empty 2000lb of chicken feed... thats what happens when you raise 100 birds for 3 families and then share the butchering.

afterwards i went to start up my forge and discovered  that the lining is cracked so must wait till i get some fresh coating before i fire it up again oh well gives me time to build my JABOD

576617104_IMG_00961.thumb.JPG.5a7ea243df675d32c828788fae904e89.JPG

1878806979_IMG_00951.thumb.JPG.ab86a58a62c80b5c544052c8b6daae18.JPG

M.J.Lampert

P.S. thomas my father suggested my name then went to the gun cabinet to find spelling

hint .444 lever gun

I assume that "Marlin" is what the M stands for?       One of my grandsons is named after me only the Irish version of my first name I never use save for bureaucracy...another has quite a bit of his great grandfathers name in his.  We used several names for our kids as my wife and I both don't go by our first names and so we felt our kids should get more choices so we have D. A. D. Powers  and M. E. G. A. Powers (She was our last and so got all the names unallocated.)

Had a friend over to strike today, and we made a handled hammer eye punch. no pictures unfortunately. we had to punch a hole with the old punch twice, as the first try burnt up badly because I was talking and not paying attention. 

The next step is forging an axe eye drift from some truck leaf spring I have lying somewhere, and after that I want to make a top fuller from some mild too. And then I'm trying out forging a small hatchet from some 27mm hex 4140!

concerning the axe eye drift, do you need to account for bending when forging the teardrop shape similar to knives? or is that not much of a problem?

~Jobtiel

yes only my mother was unhapy of the gun cabnet and changed the I to Y. i constantly must tell people l-y-n 

also in town there is a family Lambert so coling stores can become a pain (he's a doctor and the one they seem to think we are)

also M.E.G.A. Power sounds a bit like a crummy superhero/superheroine character

M.J.Lampert

Well we realized the acronyms before we finalized the names and did it anyway!  (Someday they will pick our nursing home---I hear that "Fast Turn Around Acres" is a leading contender!)  Also it was MEGA POWERS  now hyphenated with her Husbands name.  4 ADHD sons currently in Okinawa; I hear Gojira was last spotted hiding in the Aleutians!

Nobody in my family has more than one middle name. If Gojira hauls out near here I'll go wave my plump rump at it as an appetizer. Seriously everybody on my Father's side of the family has one middle name starting with an A, for at least 4 generations. Dad and I are Alvin, my Brother Dennis, and Grandfather are Allan, Great Grandfather and Great, great Grandfather are Alvin. A branch of the family I hadn't met are mostly Andrews and Adams. 

Same for the girls but none of them will admit to a middle name. My little Sister is Aileen and she's not the only one but . . . 

It's about as strange a family naming tradition as I know of. Maybe Deb and I should adopt and I can give the little tyke more than one middle name. All starting with the letter A of course, maybe all the family names. New tradition maybe?

Frosty The Lucky.