• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, guys. I’m going to be making the inlet to fit my existing NARB, which works just fine. I might make another later (with more and smaller holes), but there’s no rush on that. 

18 minutes ago, CtG said:

I really like pin and barrel hinges for ease of disassembly.

I’ve been thinking of something along those lines, although not as fancy!

I think they can be had for something like $5 a hinge. I believe some may just be steel on steel with a bronze thrust washer. A dry molybdenum disulphide spray should be good to 1800*F. 

Usually you buy them either as naked barrel and pin to weld to, or with a small flag to weld. 

Fair enough!

Loctite LB8017 has been one of my favorite dry moly lubes for higher temp stuff if anyone cares haha... Rated to 2400°F as an anti-seize, 750°F continuous as a dry film lube. 400/1315°C. 

Anyway... 

After quite a lot of tweaking I finally got the scissors to where they cut paper/cardboard very nicely. They are still just bolted together, last thing to do is hit the parts with a wire wheel to brighten them up a little and rivet them together. I will say scissors are a pain in the butt to get flat then curved in the way I wanted. 

IMG_2020-03-28_23-26-55.thumb.jpeg.5bb1e5f67082cb53cfaa6edcc3c7c7bf.jpeg IMG_2020-03-29_01-13-27.thumb.jpeg.25c1f971672a76c2cdee3c961afe5476.jpeg

I also made a larger and less curved shovel for my Ma. This one is better for scooping.

IMG_2020-03-29_01-15-04.thumb.jpeg.eae039206080d6d11997d0955dd6878a.jpeg

well i havent manged any actual iblacksmithing but instead i have continued my coppersmithing, originally planned as a simple mother's day gift but as i wont be seeing her for at least 12 weeks  it thought i would make it a bit bigger and add a few more bits.

currently picking in ascorbic acid to clean up any scale, then i might add wildlife. perhap a dragonfly or bee.IMG_20200322_175420.thumb.jpg.1df53d7d76f1325ed850d5cefd8c6065.jpg

not sure what to do with the wood, its a bit of drift wood which has also got some wood worm holes. they look to be before the wood went for a swim so i'm not worried about further damage but i would like to stabilize the wood bit.

Nor much today, but I did sneak into the shop to put the opening for the ribbon burner in the new forge. With some judicious measuring, cutting, scoring, and bending, I managed to get the top and bottom the right size and still integral with the rest of the shell. Now I’ll just need to cut and weld on the ends. 

376C34CF-9098-433D-BCE8-7662DCA01CD5.jpeg

DC0FC47E-D656-44F4-B013-165DFFA7451E.jpeg

I love the look of those metal flowers! I used to have a ton of copper sheet laying around... maybe I'll give that a shot.

I like the NARB, JHCC, I am on my way to order parts for my own build.

I got some good work done in the shop, which was getting a little cluttered and disorganized. I was thinking of the layout and realized its inefficiency. Here was my solution!

image0.jpeg.94d7f6c76db24e70fa3a8b4e69c5c4bb.jpegimage1.jpeg.a11a6844a3c9ece1b6725a057e0f3354.jpeg

Basically there are two right angled supports meant for a shelf that hold the whole abomination together. On the backside there is a 2-4 that I drilled 3/4 holes to fit my hand tools, on the side of the wood I hot glued in some cheap neodymium magnets that are holding the majority of my files and other oddities. The hammers are on two channels of aluminum in the middle and finally the tongs are on a chunk of rebar that sits nicely on a hook on the end of the right angles. On the end of the rebar I can hang PPE and jackets. Overall its a big improvement from past, of course as this addiction takes its natural course I will need to expand as more tools are piled on.

- Mark

John; those forge doors (aka "gates")  demand a nice motto---how about "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"?

Saturday morning I went by the trash transfer place. I only had 1 55 gallon drum liner of trash, (it's 2 per punch and you have to buy the card), but with the quarantine they are not punching!   Scrapyard was still open too, got a 7/8" stock coil spring and some real wrought iron, a rusty rigid pipe wrench, medium sizes and hid another 3/4 hp motor for later retrieval.  The owner's son told me that they had 6 more welding gas tanks that he put to the side for me and I said I would take them as soon as quarantine was over and I could start selling some stuff again. (The top makes a bell, the middle are forge bodies and the base makes a dishing form for armour making.)

Sunday the wind was finally low enough I could burn off the burn pile and clean up the yard some!  Mounted the gate and 60' of the fence and HAD THE ELECTRICIAN STOP BY AND TALK OVER PUTTING POWER IN THE SHOP!!!!   Unfortunately it won't be as easy as I had hoped.  As it is more than 50' from the House's transformer they may require installing one ($$$) and I'm looking at a separate meter for the shop (and so a monthly charge for it even if I don't use any power.)   Now on the positive side, as I'm out in a rural area and the shop is not a "living space"  he says they are pretty easy on getting them wired.   Now to call the CoOp and request a site inspection.

Feeling poor I decided to start working on the post vise body I found at the scrapyard. I started a "columbian" style mounting bracket and forged a spring for it and need to decide which improvised screw to use on it.  I had intended to just pass it on to someone starting out at cost and let them "learn by doing"; but I may need to start paying a monthly e- charge....

Frankly I'm liking these full weekend's at the house!  

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

John; those forge doors (aka "gates")  demand a nice motto---how about "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"?

I'm thinking Frederick Douglass: "It is not light we need, but fire."

I saw this thread and felt like jumping in. Not metal, but related to blacksmithing and it is what I was working on in the shop a day or two ago. :)

IMG_20200329_152514.thumb.jpg.90ddbfb3b9293e416e6bdfeac6174517.jpg

Almost done with the box bellows at this point, then a quick JABOD forge build and I should be able to try out my first couple of things on my own. Looking forward to it!

Gofishunt, the leaf looks great, but one very small critique. You may want to radius the edge of your texturing tool. That would lessen or eliminate the tool marks near the the center vein.

As for the stem breaking, try to keep it hot, maybe. Honestly, I struggle with the same problem.

David