• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just first-fired the forge.  I know it works because I've a lot less hair on my forge lighting arm. :D  Now to go through the process of making sure all the moisture is out of this whole thing, including the ribbon burner.  Then I'll have to learn how to fine tune it.  Did I happen to mention I'm pumped????? :lol:

Just straightened out a 10" piece of 1" cross-section coil spring.  Did it right good-n-proper.  Going to have to make some tongs.  The flat bit tongs I made are worthless for much of anything but knives.  Besides, they are too short to work in this forge..................dang this thing is hot. :lol:

Lots of nice work everyone. 

Got some horseshoe hooks done for a commission. 

It's been a little crazy out and altho I'm not worried, my "head isn't in the game". Lots of distraction out there, not to mention still trying to keep up with the new addition to the family. Which, all is well and going great, just lacking a little sleep and anyone with kids understands.

20200319_191752.thumb.jpg.e933d6b462559c0d9b6b5db7add17144.jpg

Just "happy with it"??????  I'd be turning wrong side out bustin' buttons.  Heck, I'd probably go out to the road in front of the property and put up a sign saying "Come look at this plant hanger!"  That's really nice.

Nice plant hanger. 

Forged a pair of chain making tongs out of 7/8” round, I’m sure these will find many other uses outside of forging chain. I like the way they are being forged from 7/8” I like the size of the boss compared to those forged from 3/4”. 

CTG then came over for about five hours and we forged out this 8lb sledge! All done with a striker other than the flattening and drawing out of the cheeks which was done with the power hammer. Quite pleased with the proportions of this one. It’s cool how if you have nothing to compare it to it could look as though it’s a 3lb hammer due to the proportions being on point. It’s shown next to a 4.5lb for scale. 

7D9E6765-58C4-4E81-863E-FBFD60A850BB.jpeg

361751FE-8A2B-4864-A425-63FEBC027AD7.jpeg

5598F502-D64A-40F7-948D-7AFD00591853.jpeg

It was a pretty good day- started having to fix a leaky sink, then went and hung out with Mark- I think the hammer came out pretty good! 

Today was rainy and windy, so it was definitely nice being able to go learn from and work with someone who knows what's what and has a roof over the forge hahaha

Thanks again Mark! 

20200321_145001.jpg

12 hours ago, Fowllife said:

I did have time to make this for my mom. I had some issues with the rivets, but overall I’m pretty happy with it. 

Very nice. I can't wait to get my forge up and running again.  What size stock did you start with? 3/4X1/8

pnut

One of my friends at work asked for a meat flipper and toasting fork for his dad. My 2nd.try at each, the tongs on the fork were longer until I decided I needed to heat them up again to make a little adjustment and left it in the coals a couple seconds too long. Also made a bick , from 7/8 sucker rod, to work smaller circles because the end of the horn on my anvil is too large and blunt to make things like bottle openers. I made the opener on the end of the meat flipper using JHCC's design before I made the bick, thanks for the idea.

IMG_0488.jpg.bf98a326a23cd66131a5ccf6ef8b0d11.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg.ee9dbc73e81b4fe030987df4c9a44499.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg.59c9aea76f100468e35553ffc19e34e3.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments. I have had very little time in the forge the last 6 months, so it was nice to have something turn out how I wanted it to ( minus the rivets.)  That was also the first plant hanger I have made.

Punt, I used 3/16”x1” for the upright, 1/8”x1/2” for the scrolls,  and 3/16” rivets. 

Les, I love the bick, but that is going to be bouncy at the tip of it..  Ideally you want to keep them as short as possible with the correct profile for the item desired..  IE sockets, holes, etc, etc. 
nice job on the fork and stake flipper/bottom opener..   Will be a good one for catching the unsuspecting skirt wearer standing along or behind while opening that bottle. 

Chris right on.   that is a great looking forge.. I might just have to borrow your design..  I also like how high you have it mounted. 

Thanks, Jennifer.  The floor of the forge is 50" off the concrete floor of my shop.  I've only worked with a couple of forges, but noted right off I didn't like their height.  My lower back doesn't like it when I "slightly" bend to do stuff. 

Your video plays as posted here Chris, looking good. How about a still from the side so we can see what the dragon's breath looks like. 

Good looking fork and steak flipper Les. Ditto Jennifer about keeping bics short and sweet they shouldn't extend any farther past the edge of your anvil to allow room to work all sides of a piece. However, bics with a profile like yours are very handy for turning tapered helixes. (Visualize a giant cork screw) 

In general though, short and close work better.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well, yesterday i took a hunk out of my hot cut. It is pretty old and if i could get a good close up almost looks like there was small crack. So today i made a new one. Still needs ground to shape, dont like so much arc on the top, i prefer flat. Then hardened and tempered. Came out purty good in my opinion. Started as a 1" diameter sway bar off of a Dodge 2500. Made the hardy shank separate from a piece of old axle then welded him on. Oh yeah, i also did all the work with just a hammer and anvil, no swages, fullers or anything. 

20200322_161124.thumb.jpg.aee813e29725b1b2a73c038ee90d838e.jpg

20200322_161049.thumb.jpg.f51448d1862de9b3a0275b70d1c56118.jpg