I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Well in that case, *disclaimer: for entertainment purposes only*

And in the beginning there was steel. Formed by quite industrious fellows under the oversight of... *insert expansive and eloquent dissertation pertaining to the character of the societies/organizations/institutions responsible for defining the metallurgical standards by which various material properties are achieved*

Then came the shadow, cast upon the fruits of these men (and women's) labor by an enclosure which had been formed from the carcasses of pulverized trees. For 3 days the darkness remained, while the contents lay nestled in a bed of compressible materials, safe from potential harm during the treacherous journey.

Finally, upon reaching it's destination, there was light, and these fruits were removed from their safe resting place and placed firmly in the rigid jaws of a vise. Promptly, and with all of the precision that can be achieved with a hacksaw, the materials were dismembered and stacked, separated from its former self by the thickness of its neighbor, where they were together electrocuted quite intensely. 

By now the base brute, who was now their keeper, was wielding a blunt instrument. He cast the conjoined materials into the fire from which they were formed. And here they lay. When it seemed the heat was almost unbearable, they were removed from the fire. As the brute faced due north, and while muttering an incantation of sorts under his breath, they were struck. Pressing their faces together with such force that they had no choice but to join together to resist his blows. The beatings persisted, and only ceased when the heating resumed, or to be once again dismembered and rejoined with it's former self. 

And in the end, abrasives. Such a collection of abrasives that it would be impossible to recollect them all. All the while the brute continued to mutter his incantations. Although they were quieter now, and they were directed at the material itself. The same material which he had abused so mercilessly before.

If you follow the steps performed by our anti-hero, and perhaps add a few of your own, you may indeed create a similar pattern. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Finished up a twisting jig today. The twisted bar in the jig is 3/4". The jig was first mounted on a bench, but I found it awkward to twist large stock. So I thought I would jig up a mount for my anvil stand. It is easily removed, and can be mounted back on the bench to twist smaller stock in the wrenches. 

20200317_171336.jpg

20200317_171309.jpg

20200317_170442.jpg

2 hours ago, Peppie said:

Finished up a twisting jig today

The crescent wrench caught my eye. I can think of many reasons for it to be there but I was wondering ,what was the reason you put it there? I'm guessing it's not just a shim. 

Pnut

3 hours ago, Peppie said:

Finished up a twisting jig today. The twisted bar in the jig is 3/4". The jig was first mounted on a bench, but I found it awkward to twist large stock. So I thought I would jig up a mount for my anvil stand. It is easily removed, and can be mounted back on the bench to twist smaller stock in the wrenches. 

Peppie ... the reason the twist in your machine is slightly bent, is because the bar does not seem to be properly supported and is allowed to wander sideways in a larger guide. You need to clamp top and bottom firmly in a bush that can only turn with no slack. The handle should have a similar bush turning inside a tight guide that allows turning only and sliding along the axis to compensate for material shortening. 

Marc, the tight fitting items in bushes ( is so true this will get rid of any bend and is great to keep in mind for any one building this type of twisting jig..

As  an addition to the great info, a piece of reasonably tight fighting pipe loose on the stock will do it too. if it's smooth inside it won't scratch the outside corners. 

Shoshinjoe, looks good..  Be sure to sign it..  someone 50 years from now will be wondering what it is, and who made it. 

10 hours ago, Frazer said:

If you follow the steps performed by our anti-hero, and perhaps add a few of your own, you may indeed create a similar pattern.

:D:lol:

Peppie,

As with everything else you've shown us, that's fantastic.  What a twister!

Pnut- the wrench are for smaller reverse twists, when the jig is mounted on the bench.

Marc1- that was my first twist with the jig. The round hole at the end of the jig is @ 1 1/4". What you explained is it's intended use. I will be tweaking as I go.

Chris C-  TY

So I was asked to compile  edged tools for show and tell.   It's amazing to me for someone who forges so little how much I have done in the last 3 or so years of coming out of retirement especially since I only forge on average about once a month or less.  

This photo doesn't include all the knives or hatchets sold nor all the other thumblatches, hinges, handled punches,  hammers, hardies, etc, etc.   Funny really. 

20200318_113559.jpg

Frazer, I really like the pattern on your knife and was planning on trying one....until I read your how to article. I'm pretty sure my neighbors would call the cops when I started muttering my incantations.

Great work everyone! I'll have more time to be in the shop in the near future and hopefully I'll be able to start posting pictures of items I have learned to forge from the pictures and advise on this forum.

Made myself a casting forge yesterday by sinking a 12" x 8" diameter piece of stove pipe into an 11" x 11" x 4" quikrete slab, and lining the inside with 2" of 8# kaowool, rigidized with cement sealer. Used a 3/4" burner following David Hammer's design. I know that 2" of kaowool isn't a real lining, but I'm only trying to cast aluminum for now. 

The slab fell apart today when I took the form off and picked it up (this was after about 12hrs of setting). Oh well. Still usable, but it makes me sad. Guess I can add masonry to the list of things I suck at haha. I'll give it another whirl with a metal form, and I'll leave the metal form for support in the future.

90356923_2263078073988108_2321607927191830528_n.thumb.jpg.3fe9b3ea7bac4be0493a5edeeb38cbce.jpg

Concrete "Sets" in a few hours but takes up to 7 DAYS to cure. It's also spectacularly, even dangerously unsuitable for any kind of furnace, forge or melter. 

We'll just hang, hoping not to read about you in the papers and your next await version.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah in hindsight that makes a lot of sense. I did isolate the concrete from the heat with 2" of kaowool, but still I did not have a plan for if the concrete cracked from thermal stresses and the forge spilled. It's times like these when I'm really glad I joined this forum. I really appreciate the save Frosty

What if I make a metal form for the slab, and leave the form on? That way even if the concrete cracks in half, it won't cause the forge to fall over. I just know that material as thin as this stove pipe is beyond my skill with welding, and if I tried to braze it I'd end up with a potato chip.