I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

"Back when" I was a professional custom furniture builder, my shop time was $45/hour.  Bring me a chair to fix and if it took two hours it was $90.  That was back in the early 90's up until I shut down the business in '08.  That  figure was derived from dividing cost of lights, heat and air, water, business insurances, operating costs such as fees from my lawyer, accountant, shop towels, sand paper, replacing and buying small consumable tools, saw blades, drill bits, shipping and receiving goods (material for resale and operating), cost of fuel, tags and maintenance on my truck, etc. down to an single hour.  Then was added the cost of materials used in the furniture.............wood, finishes, dyes, hardware, etc.  If it's a business, it's a business.  If it's a hobby and you can afford it, have fun.  That's always been my mantra.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bluerooster, I agree, I pretty much always end up giving away the things I make. Usually to family, friends, coworkers, and the like. I look at it as good practice and as I improve my work by making things I would have been making anyway then giving them away, I'm getting things out there so when I do feel confident enough in what I'm making (and can do things more efficiently) there are already people who have seen some of my work.

Efficiency is definitely the main problem, some of the things I make, I may have tens of hours in hand sanding and file work in simply because I haven't bought a grinder yet. So putting a price on something like that is hard. To me, at least at this point in time, it's just about the experience and having some fun making things while my day job pays for the fuel, and materials and such.

Anyway, speaking of spending a long time hand sanding, I've been practicing my forge welds and making a little damascus. I have another piece that's bigger (and by that I don't mean big! Wow Blacksmith-450 now that's some serious forge welding!) and where the welds went much better, this one had a little delamination up by where I punched the hole, so I called it quits on this piece and It'll just be a keychain of sorts. I like looking at it as it took me a long time to do. My brother is fascinated with damascus so I started this project with him in mind.

IMG_2020-03-10_00-21-54.thumb.jpeg.0aa5cca67c36f15c2fe68fc477cd1afd.jpegIMG_2020-03-10_00-21-25.thumb.jpeg.19bc1baaca4c2d593fdbf08fc5ddcccd.jpegIMG_2020-03-10_00-06-07.thumb.jpeg.b334d6330db5e54af181b333896ccf84.jpeg

I have also continued on my scissor project. most of the forging is done, but the handles are still a little uneven and there is still quite a lot left to do. 

IMG_2020-03-09_21-16-25.thumb.jpeg.72d54434ca366c2773e00fa403c7c5a7.jpegIMG_2020-03-09_21-15-48.thumb.jpeg.2559e2f3c2b7cb08ee1afc769ba5ff43.jpeg

Edited by Frazer
minor additions after seeing new post

I do a lot with scrap metal; but have learned that "materials cost" should always be for REPLACEMENT of the metal you used.  If you make a piece from free scrap and sell it with a materials cost of zero for steel; then what happens when they come back and want eleventy dozen more just like that and you have to tell them the price went up because you have to go buy new steel to make them.  Customers don't like that!  Now if you price it with replacement cost and you can make it with scrounged or scrap steel---that increases your profit.

Customers often don't understand that you may have negative economies of scale for large orders---you may have to hire help and buy expensive equipment that wasn't necessary for a "one off" made in your spare time.

Nice work blacksmith-450 and Frazer. The scissors are cool. It doesn't look like it'd take much to even out the handles. 

I've given away a bunch of stuff and I've got piles of stuff still sitting. It is a good idea to get your work out there to be seen. I wanted to make spoons and forks and I just made some and my husband put them in his lunch bag. The guys at work started wanting them after seeing his and now others want them. I guess I'm a one trick pony right now but I ought to get real good at them. I appreciate all the business advice. It is not easy to figure out for sure. 

Back 35 or so years ago there was a fad among knifemakers to do highly creative eating sets and IIRC there was even a dinner planned at the Knifemakers Guild Show for people who had made such items to show them off.  I'm sure that there are pictures out there somewhere if you want some over the top examples to work towards.

This month's project for our club is to make a Jonquil since our meeting this month will be at Old Washington State Park, AR, at the Jonquil Festival.  Here's my first attempt.  Needless to say it's 30 - 40 times the size of an actual Jonquil, but my arthritic hands don't let me do micro work anymore.  The material was from an old satellite dish.  The blossom was cold-formed, the cup in the center was heated and driven into a 3/4" nut, then heated again and driven into the Pritchel hole.  I had to grind off some of the uneven edge of the cup to make it relatively symmetrical.  The pistol was made by making a 3-way split in the end of the 3/16 rod and bending the ends out 90 degrees.

Jonquil.JPG

Your "skill set's" are so far beyond what mine will ever be it's getting to where I don't even want to embarrass myself (drooling) watching your videos!  I can't even imagine what it takes to forge one of those diamonds.  They are so nearly perfect it's almost diabolical. 

alexandr, the quality and amount of work you do makes me feel lazy! Gorgeous as per usual. 

John, that's a lovely flower. I hope I can get out to an IronMunchers meeting sometime soon. I'd love to meet you in person and forge with you guys. 

Jennifer, I couldn't view the video either,  but I will as soon as I can. 

I think 1.0 looks pretty darn good, John. Please post #2 when it is done. If I can get a critter sitter, I'd like to come out your way this summer. I haven't been any further away than Dallas in nearly 2 years. I'm a homebody, but I do like to go on a trip occasionally and that would be a perfect destination :)