Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Folks,

I remember seeing the C.O.S.I.R.A books on an English site. But I'll be darned if I can remember where they were located.

Perhaps a U.K. google search would turn it up.

Perhaps bamsite has all the titles that folks are looking for.

SLAG.

bluerooster some are  case hardened.   I forged a knife once from one that I did test and it was perfect only after I did all the work that it had hard and soft spots. 

What temperature did you get it up to before quench? 

Peppie,  Ah yeah that for sure is long enough.. I wasn't sure if you were going to try bending the 3/4" cold.. :) 

Great projects everyone. I haven't had much time to spend at the forge lately, but was able to play with some old horseshoes a lady at work brought me so I made her a couple of horseshoe cowboys warming up at the fire and a birdfeeder.

Cowboy.jpg.e618798e7d73b01c84cb0d2f8f725188.jpg

1437017873_Cowboy2.jpg.e95c1599ef804a4fac59f93a6fb78d44.jpg

40853005_birdfeeder.jpg.be61d8bbac80534ec86e813555cb50bd.jpg

Technically i did this yesterday but i forgot to post it

The refractory on my new forge finally finished drying on Friday so i was able to test it out yesterday. It got alot hotter than it did before and i made quick work of a piece of leaf spring into the basic shape of a little 10" Bowie knife that is for my cousin. I still have alot of work to do but it is coming along. Sorry for the crummy picture, it looks WAY better in person.

image-20200315_150608.jpg

Nice Rojo. I especially like the twisted scroll on the hair barrette.

Les L. Love the cowboys. I've seen them in all kinds of poses. I should probably try one myself. 

Virusds, can't wait to see the finished knife. I haven't been to the shop in a few days. Planning on getting some work done tonight

8 hours ago, bluerooster said:

Got it to non-magnetic, plus a few 100 degrees.  Held it there for a bit then into the dunking tank.  That process has served me well in the past.

Method sounds solid.. 

I have in the past gone much higher with good results.   I like to play with mystery steels but many do not.. 

Les, the cowboys are cool as all get-out.

Virusds, Blade is coming along nicely.

I like the hair gizmos, I'm gonna have to try one myself.

I also enjoy playing with "mystery metal". But in this case, I was sorely dissapointed.  I decided to go ahead and finish it, so I spent better part of the day hunting for handle components.  Guard is 6061T6, handle is Mahogany, and pommel is a lugnut from a TR7.  Still have sanding, and polishing to do, and pin the handle. 

IMG_20200316_174921715 (Copy).jpg