• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Living in the inner city I used to have to carry my 91# A&H up the dodgy basement steps, across the kitchen and out the back door across the old back porch down the porch steps and out to the stump to use it. (Sketchy Neighborhood.)    Excellent exercise and encouragement to *MOVE* *TO* *THE* *COUNTRY*.   (Now in a usual week I don't even step up on a curbstone!)

Shop is well infested with Black Widows, Snakes are generally out in the scrap pile and generally quite polite of letting you know their presence by shaking their rattle, Scorpions don't usually get on the workbench.  The rule is you don't put your hands where you can't see and check any gloves/hearing protectors, etc left out and not placed in a sealed tupperware container.  This environment really freaked out some engineers who are European City Folk when they visited out here.  One got "treed" on his bed because there was a centipede in his room...

So glad i live in Ohio where we have no giant centipedes or huge spiders or roaches the size of a small car. 

I got my ponytail caught in a drill once and a circular saw another time. Also a creeper will teach you real fast to make sure you got it tucked out the way. 

Mm ... red backs spiders, Sydney Funnel web spider, Red belly snakes, Brown snakes, Tiger snakes,  Dead Adder ... are bat the few that can kill you around my shop. Well not the red back spider, a cousin of your black widow. But they can kill a kid.

Funny thing come to think of it, you get used to the fact they are around. Even when swimming in the river, If you see a snake swimming you turn for the jetty and wait till they finish crossing. Those are usually Tiger snakes. Talking about the river, was talking to a mate who is anti-fouling my boat in his yard yesterday. He is a diver and does dome recovery, and was telling me how he got hit by a bull shark whilst checking some pilons. The thing just rammed him and broke two ribs, but did not bite him. We have juvenile bull sharks in the river but not adults fortunately, they are further down river where the water is saltier.  

Marc, you can keep those funnel webs down in Sydney … we have enough to deal with up here. Red backs are everywhere but don't seem as aggressive as your FWs. At least you don't have salties in your harbour. You don't want to wriggle your toes in a creek up here.

Someone mentioned big centipedes.  Good idea for a scrap sculpture, Das.

Mate of mine had one of those big blue and yellow centipedes attach itself to his behind while he was sleeping. His wife removed it using a pair of barbecue tongs. My eyes water just thinking about that.

Centipedes belong up there and so do saltwater crocodiles. Those would make the landscape around here a tad different.

I wonder if we'll ever shake the greenies off and start culling crocs. They have been out of control for decades and reaching as far as Brisbane, driven by hunger and uncontrolled multiplication. Maybe we should start spreading the rumor that crocodile sweat is bad for the environment, better still that it produces catastrophic climate change! :) 

G'idday,   Marc 1,

Haven't heard from you for a bit. Great that you're here.

A little trivia for you. All snakes can swim. (some better than others). 

And bull sharks can survive in fresh water. (but not thrive therein). The adults eventually have to swim back to brackish or salt water. One shark swam up the Mississippi river and thence into the Missouri river as far as Alton Illinois, 700 miles from the gulf. (Alton is about 20 miles away from St. Louis, it's a a great place).

Incidentally, 3 or 4 weeks ago an Australian lab reported that they have found an antidote for the Irikangi jelly fish. (small little beggers that can barely be seen, but can kill a bloke right quick.)

The antidotes are all common cholesterol blockers used block for excessive triglycerides in the blood. (that cause heart disease). The jelly toxin binds to cholesterol channels on the outer membrane of human cells, and we get poisoned and croak. 

Were I located closer by,   I might have gone into toxicology, herpetology, or entomology.

Have a great winter folks.  and all the best.

(inland taipans are one of my favourite snakes. shy, unassuming, and very highly toxic, I think that they are cute.)

Cheers,

SLAG,

I risk being banned form the site for introducing divers trivia, red herrings, and odd-ball observations. (I hope Glenn is not paying attention, right now.)

Yes, I come and go. Remembered this forum because I made a latch for my gate that I had been postponing for some time.

And also because I am on moderation and being moderated for saying that you guys have 220V and not 240V.

All in moderation I suppose :)

Snakes swim ... sure. Caught a diamond python the other day. Lovely creature some 2 meters long yet harmless. Swims like a fish.

Bull sharks can survive in freshwater. Yes! but don't tell the bull sharks around here because they apparently don't like it in this river. We have never had an accident with sharks on the Hawkesbury recorded. We do have white pointers and massive bull sharks in Brooklyn and around Dangar island and long island ( named by some NY bridge workers that built the railway bridge and the name stuck), a town at the mouth of the river that is just sea water.

None up river. So far so good :)

If you think you are on moderation only because of a 220/240 mix up then you have other problems

61670553_10156373591388424_1210787148014

Ha ha, Dale, if you look at the comments on your youtube link you have your reply. Apple tree bay is in a creek that comes from the mouth of the Hawkesbury, a stone throw away from open ocean and where big bull shark and white pointers have their fun. Others have replied, no shark attacks on the Hawkesbury. 

The Facebook link shows a juvenile bull shark. Does not say where it was recorded.  

Bobasaurus,

They are two pieces of all thread. It's not visible in that pic but the other end has a locknut. I'm going to tighten the lock nuts on further then cut the ends down. 

The end facing front has wingnuts so I can remove the anvil and take it inside when I'm not using it.

Oh my ... yes some old timers used to bring those along whilst diving, using a buck shot 12 gage. 

I swim in the river daily and have been doing so for decades. I have my kids and grandkids swimming and water skiing. The size bull sharks that swim around here are on our menu, not the other way around. 

60 km down river is another matter entirely. 

Somehow I can not picture myself swimming with a bangstick strapped to my back :)

Growing up in Melbourne, I used to swim in the Yarra year round, mainly in the Fairfield area, in winter , with flooding it was not unusual to share the water with 2 or 3, woken, angry tigers, needless to say, we used to unshare the water pretty quickly.

Yes, it seems Tiger snakes take to the water more easily. A friend of mine who used to barefoot ski on the upper Hawkesbury and Colo area he used to see tiger snakes all the time. i suppose they only helped to hone his skills and stay steady on his feet as they were whizzing by :)