• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He just did a Q&A not long ago, I see why he doesn't talk much in his videos. He seemed a little awkward. lol But he did say how his name is pronounced. He said it translates to Thor Bear, so his name now is "Thunder Bear".

Two more bangles today, starting to understand these a little better now. This was supposed to be something for a birthday gift at the request of my sister. Unfortunately my she cant figure out how to measure her hand circumference, so I'm stuck making multiple sizes for now. Good practice for me, but troublesome when a basic task all of the sudden becomes a big ordeal. 

20190522_204505.thumb.jpg.873a9cb0115d5694d8c0af1781828d01.jpg

20190522_204431.thumb.jpg.46a491a3cd7e4ee725db0503d3ff89e2.jpg

Rojo Pedro: thank you, yes it's brass. I screwed up on it, thankfully that was just the test piece. It was originally supposed to be domed, but got flattened after a little too much oompf. 

Steven NY: thank you, I've seen many people before me do it. But my original inspiration was from Jackob Faram. He makes awesome little keyrings using this method, except he does it 100 times better. 

Mudman, a fiberglass sewing tape works great for measuring her wrist.  Or cut a 1 inch strip from the 11 inch side of a piece of paper and wrap it around her hand, from the tucking the thumb to the heel of the hand.  It should be close in size to the width of the knuckles on her hand.  Add a little for getting on the hand.

The strip of paper can be adjusted and then stapled together for a over the hand measurement.

A piece of solder can be made into a circle and when she gets the size to her liking, twist the solder to form a circle and keep the measurement. 

If she already has a piece of jewelry she likes and uses, measure it.

Glenn, thanks. She's a little slow on the topic for some reason. Despite a photo and multiple detailed descriptions, she can't grasp the idea. I've gotten measurements of "3, 3.5, and maybe 4 inches" . I don't see her often, so it's tricky. At this rate I have to catch her in person. Quite the mission so far. haha

Excellent work lemarechal!

Some nice tooling there, le marechal. We have bucket loads of those bottom swages but apart from the hot cut,  I have never really figured what they are for. My guess is that in combination with a top tool they could forge iron to the diameter of the groove. Perhaps we are spoilt by being able to buy steel of whatever profile rather than having to forge it. Maybe someone could post a video of how these things are used.

There's a stair manufacturer on the the way home from work who leaves a scrap bin out for the public. Mostly fir, pine, and red oak, but occasionally there's a piece of maple or walnut, and sometimes they're thick enough for a hidden tang. They haven't left it out since at least fall, but yesterday it was back. Snagged some square oak bar stock pieces for a backordered favor, and today I noticed an extra bin. I thought I saw some large walnut pieces, but they were almost as dense as I am. A few pictures and forum posts later, and I'm pretty sure I've got a few pieces of Brazilian teak on my hands. I feel like this is the wood equivalent of finding a stack of wrought bars.

My 12 years old had been bugging me a lot to let him work on the forge so we fired it up and he had a blast. He said “this is a lot harder than I thought it’d be.” I wanted him to work on a taper then a scroll but he wanted to make this coal rake so he did. He wants to do it more so I’m excited about that as long as I still get some time too lol. He struggled a bit because of the height of my anvil. I have it set up for me and I’m 6’3” and he is rather small for a 12 year old so if he keeps wanting to do it I’ll have to figure something out. 

6FA2F272-5BE6-4378-BAB5-3B855407AFCC.jpeg

19C8D666-9CF3-4937-84D5-341C5EE15A2D.jpeg

Sorted out some coal from trash from what i have in the old chute. 2 small buckets worth to try out. I believe it is anthracite. It has a shale like appearance. I have not tried my new ventilation out so that may be a plus seeing as how it burns cleaner and harder to keep lit so any flaws and i wont choke to death at least. I can let it idle out, clear the air and repair any problem areas. 

20190524_161322.thumb.jpg.7bbd387e0d370713c38ad573b2f39e2e.jpg

Thought i had about a 100# of coal in the old chute, after this i would say 200# is more like it.