I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Lol, I understand your rivet concern Jerry! 

id use a weed burning torch but the last two I’ve bought I ended up givin both away to family:rolleyes:

I never used them much for anything anyways, but I’m purty sure if I buy another someone will be here within 24hrs wanting to borrow it lol

Also it’d cost half as much as I paid for this anvil to buy another torch 

like I said before, I know A sure fire way i can get it out but I’ll destroy the hardy doin it,

I can cut the head off, drill a pilot hole an then bore it out with a 5/8” bit an clean the rest out with punches an chisels, I’ve done it before, 

I Don’t think it’s stuck just a couple thousandths because kroil penetrates to 1 millionth an there’s not a trace of it passin through!!!

ive used it on stuff for years with success but this thing is cold welded in my opinion,

I don’t need the cut off hardy I can make another, but It was worth a try to me to try an knock it out! 

in all silliness an honesty I was more after the hardy more then the anvil! :ph34r:

spend a thousand bucks worth of time to save ten dollars! Ya know what I mean? :lol:

but as I spend more time trying to get it out then I would if I just forge another I’ll probably just get aggravated an break out the power tools! :angry: :lol:Bahahahaha!

• Replies 26.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good Morning?!?
I know yall a few time zones away from peavine Oklahoma but surely y’all done reached noon by now? :huh:

if I thought that dude had threads id break out the 40” pipe wrench an lock it down in the big shop vise an go to town unscrewing it with an 8’ cheater pipe! lol

i get what yer sayin though…

beatin the snot outta it ain’t working…. so I’ll need to find another way….

Or a bigger hammer… or better explosives! :lol:

Putting in $1000 worth of shop time to free up a free hardy makes you a proper blacksmith Billy. Welcome to the club. Remember, the way to make a small fortune as a blacksmith is to start with a large one.

I have to say though I've never thought of unscrewing a square shank from a square hardy hole. I'd like to see the video please, Neil. :) 

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

Jobtiel1, this might be a silly question but what’s a planing stop?

It's a stop with teeth on it at the edge of the workbench where you can put wood against so that when you plane the sides it won't move around. I'm planning on making a chest with all forged hardware so I had to make some thing for the woodshop to be usable. I don't have a woodworking vise...

JHCC, I found out the hard way that the holdfast moves quite a bit when tightening, instead of the flat ends holding the workpiece it move so much that it's just round bar holding the piece. A bit more curving should fix that!

~Jobtiel

7 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

cant prove it but I’m pretty sure that’s what busted the tool face off on the back end

Yup, yi gotcherself a crocus weld there.  I am sitting this one out, as all contingencies appear to be handled..

Robert Taylor

TW, have you tried an air hammer? I have knocked king pins out of trucks that swinging a sledge would not budge with one. My theory is that the air hammer hits so fast that the metal does not have time to "spring" back. If you do heat it a little, or a lot, Sea Foam works wonders on hot metal. Also if you heat the anvil and like Frosty said want to freeze the stuck hardy they make stuff for rusted bolts that freezes the bolt now and on BMW transmissions you have to freeze the lip seals to get them into the drums. Both are sold in an aerosol can. 

10 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

Good Morning,

Good morning! :D

I just looked it up to see what time it is there so I gotta say good morning now!:P

5 hours ago, Jobtiel1 said:

It's a stop with teeth on it at the edge of the workbench where you can put wood against so that when you plane the sides it won't move around

That’s pretty cool! I don’t know diddly about wood workin, so I had to ask! Lol

3 hours ago, BillyBones said:

have you tried an air hammer

I have not tried it yet, but that’s a pretty good idea, I’ll give that a try today! Thanks!

i use sea foam occasionally in the shop occasionally but I never thought to use it to cool hot metal, 

last year the maintenance guy down at ictc brought me a can of some kinda penetrating oil that also super cooled or froze what you were spraying on, he said it was really good stuff but it didn’t seam to work as well as kroil for me,

but in this instance it might be perfect!
I might give him a call today an see if I can snag another can from him an try that along with the air hammer, thanks for the ideas!

Yep it's by Loctite called Freeze & Release and it is amazing stuff.

That reminds me of a story with my Grandfather. He started out as a blacksmith in the Army, assigned to Gen. Blackjack Pershing's 8th brigade during the Mexican expedition chasing Poncho Villa all over the Southwest & Mexico. That was when the Army was transitioning from horse drawn equipment to mechanized. Grandad had a natural mechanical ability so the Army changed his rating to mechanic.

After he got out of the Army he went to work at several automobile dealerships like Franklin, Pierce-Arrow and Cadillac. He was a master mechanic by the time he retired. Which brings me to my story.

I was overhauling the engine on my Cushman Eagle and the piston would not come out of the cylinder. I tried everything I could think of to get it loose. Grandad was sitting on the porch steps watching me. When I resorted to a block of wood and hammer beating on the piston he said go in the kitchen and get a glass full of ice. I thought he wanted a drink of ice water or maybe some Scotch on the rocks (which he was known to partake in on occasion).

He told me to turn the cylinder over and pour the ice into the piston. I thought he was messing with me but did like he said. After a few moments he said OK now push the piston out. I pushed on the piston and it dropped right out. Hence my first lesson on freezing stuck parts. I sure miss Grandad.

For those of you who are dealing with 80s and 90s temperatures in May I will tell you it is not a universal problem.  It snowed about an 1-1.5" here last night and is snowing now with visibility about a quarter mile.  Temperature is about 30 degrees F.  Ah, springtime in the Rockies. ;-)

So, no work in the shop today.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Now if we could just figure a way out to average our temps...

if i could average out our daily temperature would be nice we bounced back and cooled down near noon then warmed right back up to more than the morning if it would just be a nice smooth curve... oh well to much to ask I guess

11 hours ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

I just looked it up to see what time it is there so I gotta say good morning now!:P

Uh Billy, we're talking on the World - Wide - Web, It's always morning for someone somewhere on Iforge. Neil is just acknowledging that. It's literally anytime somewhere. . . on the forum. You pay for their schooling and they chase the teacher with frogs and play with broken lawnmowers. :rolleyes:

Averaging the temperature into a smooth curve is above our pay grade M.J. WAY above it.:ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, Frosty said:

and play with broken lawnmowers

Bahahaha!:lol: I’m not gonna argue with you,

Hey whatever pays the bills! B)
but yer right teachers don’t like frogs for some strange reason? Tried introducing several frogs to them but it just never went over well…:huh:

I respect anybody who pays the bills honestly. Doesn't mean I won't flick them a little friendly spoofin though.

Teachers are funny like that aren't they? Most of mine didn't like bugs or shed snake skins, etc. All they seemed interested in was my homework.

Frosty The Lucky.

Bad picture but I'm loaded up in my old saturn vue to go to the meet tomorrow. 

Hope the bald patched up tires hold up. There is a lot of weight to move over my spare. Lol. Only thing I didn't pack was the vise. Could have probably but didn't want to overload the suv. 20220520_220420.thumb.jpg.d63f9c4cf54188dcbcb5d88c700aca64.jpg

Here's some stuff I've been working on recently to help outfit my little smithy. I wanted 1/2" bolt jaw tongs, and found while making them it would be real handy to have calipers to check dimentions between two pieces. So I set to work on a blacksmith's caliper.

When it came time to slit the tip of the center piece, I realized it would be real handy to use both hands, so I needed a hold fast.

In the end, I made a tool so I could make a tool to make a tool. I love that about smithing.

20220517_170526.thumb.jpg.91ac4429518ab349fec864e8dce33990.jpg

Today started with fixing an irrigation pump.  Turned out it had some junk in the intake. 

And then I spent an hour or so practicing welding.

the immediate need of welding is so i can mount my leg vice.

I need to weld a piece of pipe to a base plate for the leg to rest in, weld that plat to the pipe

and then weld a flat top to bolt the vise to. 

The pipe is deep in concrete, not sure how deep, but it was originally there to help keep big fat cows from pushing through.

The idea is have the vice on an angle so it can handle long stock if needed.

ARMY

SE Oregon 

LegVice-Plan2.jpg

LegVice-Plan.jpg