Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Chimaera said:

Then I had a friend ask if I could make a karambit. Here is my first try at it, with mediocre success.

It's trickier than it would seem to make a karambit fit your hand properly.  Your index finger is in the hole, so you only need enough room for the other 3 fingers in the handle portion.  It also feels best in your hand if the ring is positioned so that your fingers all rest in a nearly straight line when holding the knife how it would be wielded.

Here's a scan of a couple prototypes I made a few months ago.  They are just rough ground, so the finish isn't great, but the dimensions are comfortable for me.  karambits.pdf

For billets with not a lot of differentiation; a weaker, longer, etch is suggested as a strong etch eats everything almost the same and you are working with not a lot of difference between components.

That's not a Walking Wheel; that's a Skylarking wheel!

Finished off the first go at my wife's water collection system on the cheap yesterday; so far under US$100 for a 600 gallon tank and the fittings/gutters.  Now to get some rain so I can tweak the system!  Collects from about 10'x60' metal  shop roof.

And yes I will be adding more cribbing directly under the tank

KIMG0097.thumb.JPG.7cde7dcf54fe34bcce9721a7f764aab8.JPG

Frosty, What ever the wife wants. 

Army, i would guess about 1 1/2# maybe. 

I watched the guy at Christ Center Ironworks make something similar last week and decide to challenge myself and try it. Not as hard as it looks. 1 piece of 1/2" square bar, 6 pieces of 1/2" x 1/8" flat bar all cut to 10".  Forge the tapers on the bars then the scrolls are actually forge welded on. Then add the collar. The forge weld and the collar are the trickiest part. The weld has to be good but not deform the metal to bad and the collar has to be thin enough on the back side so it does not interfere with hanging it. The first one took me almost 5 hours. Yesterday i got done in under 3, that even includes cleaning out my fire pot and rebuilding my fire for the forge weld.  

8 minutes ago, KMADDOX said:

Thomas you can have some of our rain from KS

IIRC we recently had a conversation about building an aqueduct from my place here in Oklahoma to Thomas’s house,

we could patch you in to the drainage too!

Problem is we ran into a serious sea level difference so we had to put the project on hold for now,

once we get it figured out Thomas will have his own moat the size of a lake!

Goods- I think I’ll dilute my ferric a bit and try instant coffee if/when I get a bit of texture. Thanks for the suggestion TP. 

BK- those look great!! I think I’ll try another one soon with a shorter handle this time and a taller, thinner blade, along with the bigger finger hole. I think that might help the fit. Obviously this one is my first try and the next will be better. Here’s how it fits in a normal grip. 

image.jpg

21 hours ago, Les L said:

MJ, did you anchor the shelf to keep it from tipping over? And always remember that heavy goes on bottom and light on top 

the shelf is not anchored as there are shelves directly behind it with items my father may need to get to;)

they are also two piece posts so number 2 shelf has to stay there and number1 cant go lower as the 30# tank wont fit and my father basically said I need to clean up my section or clean out.:ph34r: I can easily change the level of the shelves to  different setups if this doesn't work out and each shelf is supposed to support 600# 

nice wrench karambits every one

Had a really productive day in the shop, I forged and fitted the hinges for a wooden chest, as well as the handles.

IMG_20220525_181457.thumb.jpg.4c55b448fbe694a79137663cfafa99ce.jpgIMG_20220525_211744.thumb.jpg.5c629d44a86a569cddb90655798f03de.jpg

The handles I followed the style of attaching by DF in the shop, just bending round bar for the keepers. The hinges I made using the instruction in "the complete modern blacksmith", namely splitting the ends and forging them around a mandrel to fit around the other part of the hinge. I thought that would be a bit difficult, especially since I don't make hinges very often, but it turned out really well!

~Jobtiel.

3 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

A normal grip for a Karambit is index finger in the hole with the blade out the bottom of the hand

My apologies, I thought that was a “hammer grip”; however, I am very likely wrong. One of the major flaws with this one is that the hole is too small to accommodate the index finger- only the pinky 

Worked on another RasptleSnake; even took a couple of pictures in process.  Weather quite nice for a change. I probably would have finished it but I realized my BG was going low; so shutdown and headed to the house and some quick carbs.

I need to crank out a bunch of these to sell at the state fair in sept to help pay for Quad-State.

Nice work jobtiel! Can't wait to see it completed. 

Past couple nights I've been tilling different plots in prep to plant corn and other things. 

The other night I did get lazy and till a spot I hadn't mowed down and wound up with some thicker fencing wound up in the tiller. Last night got that cut out after about 45 minutes and finished tilling.