• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jobtiel, wonderful m8! I like the straight line along the top and that's a good Idea to match a store bought for the times you don't want to make a pile of shavings. 

20220512_162008.jpg

I made these top tools quite awhile ago but just  leand up the struck ends. I sure do like them.... no burnt wrists from holding a straight punch or chisel or whatnot, when I was at the anvil all the time that radiant heat didn't seem so dang hot so now f that just give me a handle instead. 

20220512_183139.jpg

18 hours ago, Nodebt said:

I guess I can add "proper production technique" to my list of things to learn and work on

I think it's safe to say that we should all have that in our list.

I am small scale and don't really sell I mostly just give away but I like making things in sets so I can keep things straight in my head. Things that normies don't think about like which tong at what step and reach in from what angle and all the way down to how you place the awkward piece back in the forge. (you can't do scrolls and hooks or they hang up on each other sort of thing) 

Those are fractions of thoughts but still when you're in the heat of the moment it's nice to have that production line way of thought. 

Thanks Trevor, I like the straight line too the previous one didn't have that and I always felt something was missing. I want to make a few of these axes as gifts to people I know are gonna use them. So having a store handle fit makes it easier for them to replace a broken handle. I actually got this tip from JLP Services.

~Jobtiel

17 minutes ago, Trevor84 said:

I think it's safe to say that we should all have that in our list.

when you're in the heat of the moment it's nice to have that production line way of thought. 

Your dang tootin!  Always room for improvement and new methods.  Always consider the source.

Having more than one step in the forge at the same time isn't too confusing if there aren't too many piece, say forging more than one pair of tongs. Blanks heating on one side, forge the bits and lay it on the other side for the next heat while you forge the bits on the next one. When you've finished all the bits you slide all the pieces on the left side back to the right and forge the next step. 

That isn't so good if, like me, you make tongs from coil spring and keeping them HOT that long is a B A D thing for grain growth. Of course once they're finished you can just shut the propane forge off, close up the doorways and leave them in it to anneal over night. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Funny thing I just had a commission for a set of "rustic coat hooks" from RR spikes.  I thought that bending them the other way would be a bit less wearing on the coats and used my screwpress with a small ball peen to make the dents for the mounting screws.  Not cleaned up yet as I want to talk to the buyer about how they want them finished. (May be a barter deal as the buyer works at one of the best restaurants in town...)

KIMG0083.thumb.JPG.05bcafd5b7b46b83a05fa9db8d0c802b.JPG

The IBA’s state conference is coming up soon and my local chapter is making tools and a tool box to go into the auction (50%/50% profit split, owner (in this case chapter)/state). I finished up 3 hardy tools and a scribe to turn into the group at our hammer-in tomorrow:

AAA0B53B-61D4-4137-9630-49653FECC921.thumb.jpeg.5a98d0716b9b9a03449f08f516c0de98.jpeg
Left to right: Small scribe from a garage door spring, cold cut from medium carbon shaft with forge welded coil spring bit, hot cut and cone bic from same medium carbon shaft. None are perfect, but hopefully will bring a decent price. Either way, I’m starting to get better with my new power hammer. (Not sure if the scribe is a good fit for the auction, but it could be bundled with another item from our chapter if needed.)

Keep it fun,

David

Wow Goods!!! I wish I could make my sucker rod Hardy’s look that slick!! 

i was pretty proud of a cone mandrel I made till I just saw yours!

today inbetween dealing with everything else this afternoon I started on a dinner bell for the trade item tomorrow, 

While working I heard a bob white whistle and I whistled back thinkin it was just an ol mocking bird or starling copying the sound…

we went back an fourth for a good ten minutes and I wasn’t paying much attention till I saw movement outta the corner of my eye…

I turned and it was an actual bob white quail! Lol

that little bird walked right on up to check out what I was doin! Lol

i spent a good 30 minutes talkin to it and then I slipped off real slow an quiet like, an I ran an grabbed Ash an max from the house,

we all came back an spent another 30 minutes taking pictures and video of it, till it got board an went on about its business,

we walked right up to it and it just hung around an watched us! 

it was a very nice Friday evening treat after a long stressful week!

needless to stay the fire went out in the forge an I didn’t finish the dinner bell lol,

so I gotta get out there early tomorrow an get it done,3D91544C-7D9F-41EF-AA44-7F12525A87DE.thumb.jpeg.07db152e06fa03cedf1efeab3d37736f.jpeg

5E5D1A7E-DC75-4284-BAE0-F11248C589D4.thumb.jpeg.45d8f1e45095c583451ae4bf2a072f74.jpeg

Lol, I think my wife might have a thing or two to say about that! 

i know it prolly don’t sound very exciting to a lot of y’all that live were bob whites are plentiful,

but I can say it’s a rare treat around here! 

most everyone I’ve talked too hasn’t seen one in years locally, I guess they all got hunted out around here a long time ago, 

I hope this means their starting to make come back!

The only Bob White call I've ever heard was recorded, I'm sure I'd recognize one but couldn't identify it. I've had conversations with a raven that used to hang out here and occasionally a magpie will squawk back but rarely. I think it'd be great if your experience signifies they're coming back, that'd be very cool.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's the way it goes with pheasants in Nebr.  Hunting has a lot to do with it, I'm sure, but loss of cover and habitat too.  My Dad could do a Bob White call to perfection, but then we hunted them too, years ago.  Nice experience, Billy!

Well I just need to seal the wood and clear coat the hooks. 

These boards are 18" long so I will pre drill and counter sync holes to match 16" centers. This is old dimension one by four so their a solid 1" thick rough cut fir (maybe) and weathered so I ran it through the big planer quick and light but left the edges rough, the roof screws holding the hooks are just shy of punching through the back side of the boards so should hold pretty darn snug. 

20220514_094543.jpg

20220514_094158.jpg

6 minutes ago, Trevor84 said:

counter sync

I think you mean “countersink”. A “counter sync” would be making sure all the horizontal surfaces in your kitchen happen at the same time. 

;) 

(Nice look on the hooks; very robust.)

Trevor84 looks good!

Billy, the bob white i know has been making more of a comeback up here in KS also the last few years. 

Nodebt you hit the nail on the head with the habitat for upland for sure. Everytime i turn around theres another crop field that windrows have been cut out of or for heavens sake all the crp thats expiring now and not being preserved for wildlife habitat and the ecological impact it carries for many species including us. I could go on for days but it boils down to more money for folks elsewhere other than providing habitat. 

Worked on this today and yesterday. 14 hours i think now. The eye was way off center and most was trying to get it centered. 1 3/8" round like the one next to it, just under 3# of 1040. I know 1040 is not "ideal" but it should work pretty nice for a hammer. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d766e788b4179d5bf48650e93ae8ac25.jpeg