• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. Had a bunch of different ideas for the chain hearts. I,ll be making more and a tea light candle holder is an excellent platform idea. 

Hope you heal up quick John. 

Scott, you could definately make roses like this. You just need to learn how. 

27 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Hope you heal up quick John. 

So far, so good. Much less pain, and fairly little blistering. 

0A2B0EA0-21D6-413F-BBC1-5F045A0A7F38.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Daswulf said:
1 hour ago, Nodebt said:

I admire the skill it takes to make them, one I am lacking. 

Scott, you could definately make roses like this. You just need to learn how. 

There are some good videos on YouTube. Roy Adams' is quite good (and very detailed!):

33 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Had a bunch of different ideas for the chain hearts.

Portraits of Anne and Nancy Wilson?

After work, I had just enough time to clean up two more corner brackets for my wife's raised bed project.  It's the old trade off:  Money vs Time and since she runs the money budget, guess what tends to get chosen...OTOH she's happy to let me go to the scrapyard Saturday and "find more stuff" for the project!

Sort of a "Trial by Ordeal"; no I don't want to put you through that.  I do have a lot of students that are surprised that you can actually hot the workpiece in your hand for the first part of the first project I teach.  Then when they move to the second part they learn how difficult getting used to tongs can be.

Tank bodies are what we used for one of the SOFA gas forge building workshop; one of our members had an in with a Hydro Test business and they gave us all the tanks free as long as we chopped them onsite.

Last night I wire brushed the last corner brackets for my wife's raised bed project.  They will be ready to fill by tonight!

Today scrapyard and working on tools from there got an old woodworker's bar clamp and a combo fence tool  back to working condition...may hint that another gallon of WD 40 would be a great Father's day gift...

Jennifer, thanks for another great video. I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge by watching your work, such as how to make the tomahawks I recently finished. 

This is the finished product of the hawks I posted earlier this month, but couldn't finish because I was on the road. These hawks were a group of "firsts" for me; my first wrapped eye tomahawks with a high carbon bit, my third and forth forge welds (thanks to all on here for forge welding advise,especially Swedefiddle's analogy about hitting jello, i'm old school ship yard, fab shop, pipelinner "get a bigger hammer and hit it harder) and my first leather work. 

The mouse hawk on the left has a couple of small divots in the weld by the eye, that I could have ground out, but the rest of the weld is good. The weld on the right came out good. The mouse hawk blade is not twisted, that's just my poor photography

IMG_1189.jpg.1ba5fee623fd01db29dcad882bbb1670.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg.bf8d6d4ebaee1a507b97deb28e7195fd.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg.c0be29826b38b216c11d3e03175488b3.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg.d5a84b8fd9e7d98716f3c4df71bd241a.jpg

I Started the morning with some pritchel holds. Me and my cousin, who was down this way got a good start at 9 or so.

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0909.JPG

IMG_0910.JPG

We moved on to a 7 layer 15N20 and 1084 stack and squeezed that for a bit. Then...

IMG_0913.JPG

IMG_0916.JPG

He had a go at a piece of 40 layer, as a arrow head. Then fitted a couple quarters to close out.IMG_0917.thumb.JPG.633f732d6bbc2d27bb23c2d298e0f056.JPG

IMG_0919.JPG

Today I tied a broom onto a handle I forged last week. This is the first time I've tried broom making; I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out, even though I made a couple mistakes. It is surprisingly well-balanced, and the looped head rests well in my hand.

I've been wanting to make complete fireplace sets, but I also wanted to offer hand-tied brooms instead of purchasing a manufactured broom head. After this first attempt, I am confident I will be able to offer high-quality brooms that will last.

The handle is forged from ~20" of 3/8" square stock, with a ~2" ID head loop. It is ~30" long overall. I added two layers of broom corn, and tied it with black tarred nylon twine and red waxed hemp twine to make the colors of my Alma Mater.

broom1_small pic.jpg

broom2_small pic.jpg

broom3_small pic.jpg

broom4_small pic.jpg