I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the topic of dogs and the shop ... I use noise reduction and goggles most of the time, and face mask with the grinder, and welding helmet for obvious reasons. i make sure the dog is not in the shop because I can not protect his hearing or vision, nor can I put a cape on him to stop hot scale falling on him. I rather he looks from the distance and he is happy when i finish work or perhaps do something harmless like painting drilling or hand riveting. Don't see any other way to protect my dog from harm.  

I don't let my dogs in the shop either. I'm afraid they'll get hurt. They know they can only come to the door when I'm working. I don't let the goats out of the pen while I'm forging either because they will try to come in also. I had frogs living in the shop all summer long. At night, they'd come out to eat bugs and they would get dangerously close and I'd have to shoo them off. 

yeah got that problem too. I've got one dog which figured out how to open doors, including the door into my shop. In general I don't let dogs in, because there's always some sparks flying around or sharp metal chips on the floor.  I really should clean my shop more .... :D

On 11/19/2019 at 10:28 PM, Frosty said:

More like, I'll hold your beer while you do that again.

He actually picked up the bottle from my neighbor when she set it down! (It was empty) He was licking the top, and when I took the picture he looked up at me.

Atticus actually has his own small couch in the shop. He lays on it and eats his various bones and antlers and things. He's very well behaved in there. 

Most animals seem to like beer, it's high value food AND a buzz? The trail riding club Dad and I rode our horses with always brought plenty of beer and you couldn't set one down anywhere near a horse or they'd have it tipped up and gone in seconds. We had to keep an eye open, you don't want a horse to chug too many beers, they can't really belch and bloat's bad.

Intubating a horse to vent bloat is a good way to get hosed down with horse stomach contents. :wacko: 

Geeze I miss owning horses. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to have to kick the pups out when we'd play live music. They didn't like it but I would rather have them sulk for a bit than them be deaf. Basil Bob has caught a couple pieces of scale as he likes to be right next to my feet, but I have a table I've been teaching him to hang out on when I'm at the forge. You'd think a feral cat wouldn't want to be anywhere near the ruckus of an electric mattress pump and the noise from hammering on hot steel but it seems to attract him instead of scare him off. 

Pnut

• 4 weeks later...

Here are Lola and Benjamin together; you can see the family resemblance. 

FEE1FBCE-B180-4073-8409-2BFF4CA5E41B.jpeg

(As you can see, we are keeping them close but still separated. They had a couple of bad fights, so the gate allows them to get used to each other without risk of further bloodshed.)

• 2 weeks later...