I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter the vet suggests livetrapping and spaying.  Neutering toms is a lot cheaper and easier but doesn't cut down on the number of kittens produced as one wandering tom can father kittens on a lot of females.

What will cut down on the numbers will be one of the common fatal cat diseases that pets are vaccinated against.  I hear horror stories---generally over the dinner table...

Yep, spaying the females insures an "outlaw" male from down the road or the next farm over doesn't show up and get any females pregnant. 

You may want to check and see if there's any organizations near you that will supply you with live traps and spay/neuter the cats you catch and then return them to you.

In the greater Cincinnati area there's a place called UCAN spay/neuter clinic that will come to meet you at the local Library and pick up feral cats alter them notch their ear so they can be identified as spayed or neutered and meet you back there the next morning and drop them back off to you.  They do all of this free of charge. I have used their services a few times. The last time was to get Basil Bob altered. Unfortunately he's been MIA for a few weeks. I was surprised that they came out this far as I'm about forty miles south of Cincinnati.  I send them a donation at tax time every year.

Pnut

Billy, there are groups out there that will spay and neuter ferrals for free if you can live trap them and take them in. Not sure about all areas of the country but it's worth looking into. We had a large growing population but got them all fixed this way. So far no new cats have showed up. They nip an ear so they can identify the ones that are already fixed. 

Not sure if I have posted a pic of this guy before. 

My best pal Spud. He travels all over the place with us in the tank bag on the bike, it has a flap so he can get his head out and air vents for summer that can be closed for winter. 

A better pal a man could not ask for. 

IMG-20191217-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20191217-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20191217-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20191217-WA0030.jpg

The picture of the steer was actually somewhat of a joke. It’s good to know he was still welcomed though. He took a ride to freezer camp a couple weeks ago, and the new guys in the pen aren’t nearly as curious. 

Max is the dog that spends time out in the shop with me. 

11078E2F-A242-4F47-9DFC-508C439706F7.jpeg

AFF31A6B-8E51-46C5-9F40-F4C5407E499C.jpeg

I'm not as brave as John, I want no part comment on the "her" TP was referring too......

That second picture was taken the weekend we moved into the house down south, Max was a tired dog. He has always had a habit of squeezing into the small beds instead of laying comfortably in one of the bigger beds.

My mom called hers Fred, after some Prince Fredrick. She actually rescued 2 after Katrina, the other which is still with us, is a black long haired she named Mary after some Queen or Princess or some such non-sense. She names all her pets after royalty of some sort. 

We currently have a little heard of cats that aleeps on our doorstep as well. Only one of them is allowed inside because he came first. And befor he was neutered he also fatherd another litter for our calico cat. We also almost fell victim to one of those cat plagues you all were talking about. That only ended up killing one though. Then we foumd that an antibiotic would help them. The most unfortunate thing is that out of the two litters of 3 kittens our mama cat had only one of them was a boy. The rest of them are girls and are almost to maturity. I do have a pic of one of the little kittens we saved from the sickness. This ones name is princess and is our inside cats daughter (we think anyway, no way to know with cats) image-20191216_091335.thumb.jpg.271f21980f5e92af850a616f399da1b3.jpg