I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like she caught *you*; what else did she need to catch!

We had a 3 legged dog, one of her front legs was seriously truncated as a birth defect, looked sorta like a chicken wing.  We called her Nubby.  She got around fairly well; but it put a lot of wear and tear on her lower spine. 

When she died of cancer our next dog was a full blooded scotty that showed up at our front door abused and pregnant. (May have been dumped along the interstate.)  Gave birth to 7 pups a week later but only 1 survived and grew up to be several times her size....He's with my eldest daughter, she's still with us.  When I was living 200 miles away, we shared out the pets: I got the cats and my wife got the dog.   Our dog doesn't like men much and having black fur, black eyes and a black tongue and very very white teeth was an excellent guard dog for my wife, I'd refer to her as "our darling demon doggie".  She's now to the point that I'm allowed to pet her and let her in/out. Other men beware!

CHL, she’s as cute as can be, and I can see she’s the type to fall in love with. My Lab/ Catahoula mix has had trouble with his right hip popping out of joint since he was a pup, it’s getting worse and he is starting to limp, but it doesn’t effect him at a run yet. He chased a squirrel down in the yard a few weeks ago. He loves everything except a squirrel and will sit under a tree for hours if he sees one in it. Have you ever seen a dachshund climb a step ladder? I did some work for an elderly lady in town replacing her lights, every time I went up the ladder her dachshund climbed up, set on top while I worked and then climbed down head first when I finished.  

Thanks. She's been with me since birth. She's 8 years old now. You're poor dog. But he won't let it affect him. Dogs don't know when to quit! And no, I've never had one club a ladder. But I've had a couple of dogs that could scale a 6 foot fence...

Thomas I didn't see your post. I have a soft spot for crippled or orphaned animals. I seem to end up with a lot of them

7 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

Oh my Frosty,  I  didnt expect that to come out

You know Steve, I've said that more than one morning after.

I love the way the hog disappeared into the woods with the doxy hanging from it's jowl shaking. 

This pic is Ronnie last fall I think. The other are our stove toasties, Ronnie's on the right.

Frosty The Lucky.

901026460_Ronnie02.jpg.dfb902d42702cf292b51b18fd6c16d0b.jpg

2125751904_Stovetoasty01.jpg.6b7fa4356080b06a24ef6da4ff2f7e33.jpg

A dear old friend who lived in the trailer across the road in the court. I am, back in town for a long weekend and visiting when in walks the cat and gives Phyllis a head buff. Phyllis screams at the cat to get away from her it stinks. Poor thing is filthy must've gotten into something so I ask, "Why don't you give it a bath?"  Phyllis says back, "YOU give it a bath!" Phyllis tended to speak in exclamation marks when she was frustrated. I bent over scooped it up and took it back to the bathroom for a bath. While not thrilled it let me lather rinse and dry it without baring a claw. When I brought the now clean fluffy cat back out Phyllis, her daughters and a couple neighbors were sitting there quietly, eyes wide. 

THAT'S when Phyllis told me it was a feral cat not a pet, her kids were feeding it and Phyllis couldn't drive it off. That's also when I found out she was allergic to cats. From that day on the cat loved me, stuck to me like a limpet anytime I visited. 

It's funny what you can do when you don't know just what a B A D idea it is.

Frosty The Lucky.

I’ve watched my youngest daughter walk into the pasture behind our house and pick up and pet a feral cat several times. She moved to Nashville four years ago and on the way to school one morning she heard noises under the hood, stopped to check and found a feral kitten a couple months old. She dropped it off at a vet then went to a doctor to get patched up before class and it’s her house cat now. 

I don't know what it is but animals have always liked me and I know others. Then there are the folk animals don't like. Of course one of our house cats is drawn to people who don't like cats like an open can of tuna. Cats are like that on purpose you know, they're not really domesticated they're just biding their time till we're properly trained then they'll take over.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've befriended a few feral cats through the years and they have always surprised me how bonded they've become to me after gaining their trust. I have a friend now who is a feral cat. There's a picture of him a little farther back in the thread.

Pnut

My house cat got out while I was running an extension cord out the back door to do some powered wood work this weekend.  Refused to come back into the house but I did manage to trap him in my smithy.  Had to leave him overnight but at least he was safe from the local dog pack, cars, coyotes, owls,...people, etc. The next day he still wouldn't come to me so I left the 10' roll up door open. and by 5 pm that night he was hiding by the house back door and complaining. So I opened that door and strolled over to close up the shop and now he's back in and friendly again...

Only 1 spot in the smithy's sandy floor I had to dig up and throw outside...Why I can't leave it open for the feral cats to do mouse control for me.

I tried the magic mantra "kitty foods!"  My wife and I have decided we would help him with his urge to go outside---every time it's raining---for a while.  We had one cat back in Ohio that desperately wanted to go outside so my wife let it go into the fenced in play yard---after a foot of snow had fallen.  Cat decided it was definitely an indoor cat after that!

Cats are pragmatic that way you know. Our old house, "Damascus Bug's Bane" is always hiding in the mud room waiting for a chance to make a break for it and makes it every  now and then. I can usually either call or herd her back in the door but once in a while she wants to stay out. She got herself locked out overnight once some years ago and has been easy to call or herd back in.

We really have to watch "Qiviut" the upstairs closet cat. He's the feral Deb tamed down but never tamed enough to rehome so we kept him. He's large, long aired and is wickedly armed. He's pretty polite and very wary so strangers almost never see him. However he did spend his first couple months as an abandoned cat in our hay barn. His mother abandoned the litter, we saw her but she'd have nothing to do with the kittens. He has survival skills and we're pretty sure his wariness has to do with surviving: dogs, hawks and owls till Deb live trapped him.

His first vet check is legendary at North Star Vet office. After strong warnings from Deb the vet tech and vet just opened the kennel/cat carrier and he started doing laps around the room. Made several turns around the crown molding just under the ceiling. It was quite the din from the waiting room. Since then they use a different method, they have special kennels they can open a carrier in then remove the carrier without opening a door to the critter. 

Qiviut likes coming down stairs but not if you notice him. He likes sneaking down behind my chair but if I see him he takes off. Come bed time he meets me at the bed and insists on some attention but s soon as I get under the covers he's off downstairs.  In the morning he makes a ritual of hiding behind a corner till I get to the top of the stairs then he makes a "panicked" dash past. It's more ritual than anything else. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I almost came home with a baby tortoise this weekend. I was out garage saleing and a family had 6 up for sale that were the size of the palm of my hand. Her parents have a couple, and she said every year they have 5-6 offspring. I had a couple growing up, and they are fun to watch. Methuselah had come from Arizona in the early 70's, and Chuck came to us via a neighbor who was moving. We were Chuck's third home in that neighborhood. 

Had a cat once that the colder it got the better he liked to be outside. He took of once in January in sub zero weather and was gone for 3 days. I thought he had died and all of a sudden there he is.

P-nut, hope you got that devilish basil bob a good warm place. Nasty out tonight and tomorrow. We already got about 1/2" of ice and snow.