I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About using hay for bedding, it tends to mold easily and holds water, goes soggy bad/rank. Straw lasts a lot longer and doesn't hold water so it's warmer, drier and healthier bedding. 

Our cats live in the house with us and we like it warm. Watching TV in a show suit and parka just isn't relaxing. (Yes, I have.)

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes straw is better. We just have access to free round bales of hay so that's what we use. It gets changed out frequently and through dry periods, gets dug out completely and left to dry as much as possible, then replaced with fresh. Then when warm weather comes around, it gets completely dug out again. But straw would be the better bet

It's straw, I don't know why I said hay. I found some closed cell expanded foam thats about three inches thick that I'm going to replace the straw with. The foam is waterproof. It's split into thinner sheets and used for the running boards on jet skis. 

Pnut

If you have a big enough space that you can insulate , you could put the water inside of it where Basil Bob sleeps.  When we protected plants back home we just tossed a sheet over them to trap the ground warmth. Also having it next to a building will help keep it warmer.  Now I live where freezing is a rare event, which is another reason I moved to the desert. 

Of course desert is based on precipitation, not temp.  Most of Antarctica qualifies as desert!  I live in a desert too and last night we had our first hard freeze.  Time to bring in the mint plant; poor thing; it was semi abandoned while I was making trips back and forth during the move, then dug up and replanted up here and now will be going into winter quarters...

We had lemon balm take over the little backyard of our inner city house in Columbus OH. Now that was interesting when you mowed; smelled like we had gone over the yard with some lemon scented cleaner!  I used to take fish and put it on a thick bed of lemon balm and wrap it in foil and cook it on the grill.

Out here about the only things that grow wild are mesquite, creosote bush, sagebrush and prickly pear.

If you won't eat creosote bush you aren't really hungry. Embalmed by your last meal maybe but . . .

Depending on what they've been eating rattle snake can be pretty good, especially roasted over mesquite smoky coals.

I love prickly pear, raw or seared over a fire. In scouts we learned to burn the thorns off, I've never tried shaving one, I'd rather peal and take getting stuck.

The leaves are good too but are better cooked than raw. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Since the death of our older pitbull Michael, our other pittie Lola has been a bit lonely. We had thought of getting another at some point, but sooner than we expected, her brother Benjamin needed a foster home. So, welcome to the newest member of the menagerie. 

780379C1-7003-4309-8589-D6B0551322E8.jpeg

Do not know how true this is, having only dined on snake 1 time in my life, but my dad told me that snakes will taste like whatever they last ate. 

Never had the pleasure of a prickly pear. 

JHCC, that is a big pretty boy there. I think i can say for most of us give him some belly rubs and scooby snacks from us. 

A bit of gastric trouble (we were told he has a sensitive stomach anyway, and the stress of a new situation probably doesn’t help), but otherwise fine. We are keeping the two dogs in separate parts of the house for a couple of days so that they get used to each other’s smell. Lola is rather excited, and Benjamin keeps whining for her. We are hoping that the brother/sister bond is still there to some extent, which will make re-introducing them much easier.

Here’s a picture of them together when they were still puppies:

0D27C44F-C759-43F8-9CD7-8624B7993DC5.jpeg

They're siblings? They knew they're related at first scent, Ben, probably at his first sniff of you. Stress can upset their digestion, do you feed once a day to twice? Till he settles in several small meals a day will ease his digestion, a tablespoon of oatmeal per meal helps settle things down. That's temporary, till he relaxes in.

It's always tense moving into a new pack, he'll try to fit in and be nervous till he does. All normal, indigestion and all. 

Frosty The Lucky.

He should settle in pretty quickly then but you'll need to keep an eye on him, living in a crack house was pretty abusive, all the dogs.  Even if nobody directed abuse at the pups, the drug induced derangement was a 24/7 atmosphere, crack paranoia and mania was everywhere. Dogs sense our feelings almost like they're hardwired to us, especially on a lead. He'll need some time to replace the learned badness with gentle love and trust.

Good on ya John. 

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

He should settle in pretty quickly then but you'll need to keep an eye on him, living in a crack house was pretty abusive, all the dogs. 

Benjamin and Lola were rescued when they were only a few weeks old, so they've never known anything but love and security for the last five and a half years. Lola is quite possibly the most chill dog I have ever met in my life. 

3 minutes ago, 58er said:

Added dragonfly to shop flowers.

That's a big ol' dragonfly, to be sure.