I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

When we were still keeping livestock and there was hay in the barn the local stray cats thought it was a maternity ward, nursery, condo. We picked hay off the field so it was never dry enough to stack tight and we left space between bales when we stacked in the barn. This was perfect for cats, it was warm and only accessable through narrow passages with back door passages going all directions. Kitty heaven you betcha.

Anyway, we put out food and water and Deb spent a lot of time sitting in the barn talking to kittens. After a short while she was hand feeding the kittens but momma cats were a LOT more wary. I forgot to mention, the food bowls were in live traps and wire kennels. Animal control lends live traps and only charges a fee if you have them more than a week IIRC. 

We had quite the "clowder" cats don't herd up, groups are called a "clowder" or bunch is as far as I read the list. As the kittens got older and tamed down the mommas started eating while Deb was sitting there playing with the kittens and we trapped them. Not while Deb was there but we got all three in one night, two in one trap.

Animal control ran, maybe still does, neuter and spay clinics for reasonable. We got them all: health checked, vaccinated and spayed and turned them loose in the barn with the food, water and safe housing. The kittens all got the same treatment except we rehomed all but one very VERY wary kitten lived in a wire kennel in our bedroom for months till he got used to the idea we weren't going to eat him. Eventually he'd come to the wall and ask for ear scritches and jaw rubs so we opened the door so he could come and go. He was just too wary to rehome, he's our upstairs closet cat but getting more relaxed. 

The momma cats we released back in the barn stayed and defended it against new strays till eventually there were none. We don't have livestock anymore and don't have hay or put out food or water so it's not so attractive to strays. 

Anyway, I don't recall what the local animal control calls the spay/neuter and release strategy but it works a treat.

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jetta is a bonnie lass.  Is I believe closer to what you wanted to say Billy. Of course I could have it wrong, my inner Scott doesn't give language lessons. <sigh>

We have a cat that'd be happy to play with her if she doesn't bite and shake that is.  That is a GREAT picture!

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for loving your pet enough to do what was right for it.   My Daughter's a Veterinarian nd we get to hear way to many stories about folks wanting to keep a pet alive way past the time when it should leave the pain and humiliation and go to the  land of freedom and gooshy food.  I still cry my eyes out every time I have to do it.

I've started brushing our cat regularly  as she is getting old and not able to take care of her coat as well as she used to.  I use a stainless steel welding brush which seems to work very well and she loves it.

Make sure to passivate the brush before you use it on another cat.

We had to put one of our dogs down a few months ago, after treatment for an abdominal cyst gave him an autoimmune disease. Extremely difficult, but as a friend of mine put it, "When you take on the responsibility for an animal's life, you take the responsibility for providing it with a good death."

I would also suggest cleaning the fur out of the brush before use on a hot weld. May get a little smelly.:)

Just saw this on the news and thought it was a good story so i will share it. A man who is blind from multiple gun shots during a car jacking had his service dog stolen. It was by some teenagers. One of them was feeling bad about it so he walked up on the guys porch told the man who he was, what he had done, and that he was sorry for doing it, then returned the mans dog. May be some hope for that kid. 

With all the doom and gloom in the world, we all need a feel good story sometimes.