I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I saw 3 Harris hawks eating a rabbit on top of the horse shade out back of the casita this morning. Got the binoculars out to get a close up, real close up as they were about 40' away.  One of the benefits of early rising, the other major one being loading heavy stuff while still in double digit F temperatures...

We don't see many mantis here but I love the bugs, they eat mosquitoes! :D We have lots of dragon flies to keep biting insects down. . . Somewhat. 

I love the raptors, we see goshawks and bald eagles most commonly but occasionally a red tail hawk. Owls are everywhere but you don't usually see them and only hear them during mating season. 

Frosty The Lucky.

I loves me some spiders also. 

We got mostly red tails here and rarely you will see an Eagle. Lots and lots of turkey however. We also got a good sized population of owls. I am really fond of the barn owls and barred owls though. Just about any given summer night i can sit outside and here them hootin in the distance. 

Interesting story: I was driving to work one day and there was a hawk on the side of the road eating his dinner. I got that feeling that said he was going to jump out in front of me. And he did. He flew in front of my windsheild of my truck, between the windshield and antenna. He had to turn and i could see every spot and could have counted the feathers. 

Dragonflies are the only creature other than humans that can anticipate where their prey will be and take up a flight path to intercept. They can see 360*. They can fly in any direction up, down, sideways, and diagonally and hover. Some dragonfly larva can get big enough to eat small frogs. They stay in the larva stage for 5 years and the adult stage for a single season. Truly an amazing creature. 

Well the old lady just came in and told me wind just about ripped my barn door off, gotta go fix it.

Now I have to do some reading about dragon flies! :)

I had a similar experience driving in the desert in my 62 Vette. The road I liked taking crossed a bunch of washes and ridges so was one low grav woop de doo after another for about 25 miles. Fun drive and as I was cresting another wash a hawk was launching into the air and away from me. It must've heard me coming as it was eating a road kill but I didn't see it till I was maybe 30-40' away. I hit the brakes and it was flapping for it's life but didn't quite clear. I hit its tail with top of the grill and it went over the hood and windshield on it's back. By time I got stopped it was gone except for some drifting feathers and a streak of crap on the windshield.

It was over so fast I don't think it got two flaps, just enough to get above the corner of the grill, I think my foot was still on it's way to the brakes. I don't think it was injured I didn't hear or feel an impact but did hear the swish of it sliding over the roof. I've always wondered if it ate roadkill again.

Frosty The Lucky.

Later this morning I saw a Gambel's Quail with 7 babies each about the size of my thumb cross my front yard.

Just got a call from my Brother---he needs a ride to Albuquerque tomorrow and since I was going most of the way there...so I unloaded 2 large boxes of books from the front seat and 2 50? pound improvised anvils and my large stake anvil and it's stand and the short cone mandrel and some various scrap and the "loaner" postvise and ...As he doesn't get off work till an hour after I was planning to be at Radium Springs. Sigh. Hopefully I've come close to his weight unloading.

At least the stuff he has to get out of his car can deadhead on the way back down here.

Uh HUH, Deb and I've lived in a forest for 21 years and haven't seen a single, Ursis Kittyus, Garbageyum. Of course you DO live in Mtn. View no telling what you might see. 

With the warm winters and booming prey populations: bear, wolf, coyote, fox, Lynx, raptor, etc. populations are booming too.

Your kitty looks like it needs brushing, maybe if you offer the neighborhood . . . chemical cooker a few bucks to brush it. . . ? :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

It has been a long time since i lived somewheres you could run into a bear. The one and only time i have ever been bear hunting was when one of our dogs got tore up pretty bad from one. The dog was a huge Norwegian Elkhound so it werent no cub we were looking for. Never did find it. 

51 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Your kitty looks like it needs brushing, maybe if you offer the neighborhood . . . chemical cooker a few bucks to brush it. . . ? :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

I was hoping they would develop a taste for Meth head and help reduce the numbers around here... If they did I would gladly brush it down.  I am surprised you haven't seen a bear up there on the fault line, but that is a good thing for the pets. 

• 2 weeks later...

He's a cute little critter. Speaking of frogs...it felt like a biblical plague of frogs in the shop tonight. My son and I were working on different projects, and every time we turned around, there were frogs hopping around everywhere. I was afraid they'd get hurt, so I kept shooing them away. But they'd come right back. We have more this year than I can recall seeing in years past. Maybe it's because it's been such a wet year. 

• 1 month later...

This was Las Vegas and surrounding areas last month. The grasshoppers were migrating up North, and were very heavy this year. They were so thick they were showing up on weather radar as rain.  I wanted to get out there and catch some and try some of the Chapuline recipes I found. Popular street food in Oaxaca Mexico where they are called Chapuline, and East Asia. The chile lime ones looked good as well as the stir fried ones.

image.thumb.png.85f96587d9510a7b652b4dc00e760957.png

John; you have changed since last we met!

I went out to move the pickup just before dark last night and had to encourage a tiny horny toad to leave the track before I ran the truck.  They eat ants and so are a welcome part of our desert ecosystem!

Down at the casita I got to watch a tarantula hawk drag a tarantula off to feed it's progney.   

I am up to try chapulines to see what they are like. I love all kinds of food and can be adventurous to a point-no balutes for me.   I was surprised how many are consumed today, they are a popular dish in other areas. High in protein and faster to raise than cattle.

I have eaten crawdads, but man they are a lot of work poppin them tails for that sliver of meat. No, I don't suck the heads hahaha :D