I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

Folks tend to think of crawfish as a southern thing. The first time i ever ate them was here in Ohio. Fresh out the river in a pot on a camp fire. However when i lived in Baton Rouge i found out that even though we may eat them in the north, we do not know how to cook them.  They are a lot of work but i think it is more of a camaraderie, sittin with your buddies having a coupe beers thing that makes them better.  One of my favorite dishes and i can not remember the name of it, is crawfish tails with creamed corn and rotella tomatoes. 

They may taste alright, but i just cant get past the idea of sticking a grass hopper in my pie hole. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've eaten a lot of strange food but I'm with you on the baluts. Little beaks aren't my idea of tasty but who knows. Most food is about social conditioning so they may be delicious if I could get past my cultural hang ups and actually try one. 

Pnut

Ausfire, great job on the crawfish, as usual. 

Biggun, it’s not work and doesn’t take long to eat them when done right. I can take care of 5lb in less time than a hamburger

Billy, sounds like machshue, ( not spelled right but that’s how it’s pronounced)

B-B,

Your friend is probably a she. Given her size,* and the time of year. She probably has mated, or will in the next few weeks.

Males often do not survive beyond mating. They are often devoured by the mated female.

In temperate, climates both males and females die during the winter.

The egg cases and eggs hatch in the spring.

These insects are fascinating and very helpful for us. They catch and eat thousands of insects during the summer. (including crickets and mosquitoes.

I urge you not to kill them.

SLAG.

*the males are usually smaller, and darker colored.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:48 PM, Les L said:

Magee Chou is good with ham also, for those that don’t eat seafood 

I just noticed how auto-correct helped me with spelling Maque Chou. It's a great feature , but I learned to reread all correspondence at work before sending, after almost getting fired for a response to my boss that got corrected and I sent it without checking first. Sent that one from my phone and didn't catch it.

Kill a mantis...no way in the world. I love these guys. I think that they are also a protected species here and it is illegal to kill one. I figured that it was a female and with the size of her belly i would say that she is with child now or my shop is good hunting grounds and she is well fed. 

I do not kill spiders either. I had this big spider living next to my back door all summer. It got to where i can reach up and stroke her back with my finger and she would not run off or anything. The guys i work with think i am strange becuase i will rescue spiders. If i see one in the shop i will pick it up and take it outside so it dont walk into a puddle of oil or something. 

Yeah, they're right Billy you're kind of strange. Don't think it bothers us do you? That WOULD be strange.

We don't see many mantis up here, they're around just not common nor large. Dragon flies? Oh baby do we have dragon flies, they swarm during mating season. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The mantises we have, we mostly find hanging out on the rabbit runs. They seem to like it on them. Dragonflies swarm here too. We have big banana spiders everywhere. And killing them depends on the spider. I ran across a black widow recently. I missed her though. She was also out by the rabbit runs. My sister has a nasty scar from a black widow bite she got as a kid so they are fair game. I don't have any pictures, but we have a large population of frogs this year and they like to hang out around my anvil when I'm in the shop at night. They eat the bugs that gather under the light. I have to shoo them off because I'm afraid I'll step on one, or worse yet, drop something hot on one and injure it

We had one frog recently that looked like a prehistoric beast. His body must have been 6 or 7 inches across, and he was a bright, mossy green all around his mouth. He was pretty impressive

So very sorry to read that Iron dragon and jhcc. I had to ask the vet not to wake one of our cats up on Friday after they found bigger broblems than they thought during an operation. Both Spud the dog and our other cat spent all weekend mooching round the house looking for her. 

Animals bring so much to our lives even if it's only briefly.