I Forge Iron

Show me your blacksmith pets

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

About 9 years ago we adopted a mature cat at the shelter we figure about 2 yrs at the time minimum. Buffy was a natural mother cat, she nurtured any put, kitten, etc. that she came across. Utterly sweet cat, she'd lay in your lap and purr till you scratched her then she'd quiet down to a contented burr. 

Buffy disappeared after the quake, look and call as I might, I couldn't find her. You just have to let scared cats be till they come out. About 40 minutes after I got Deb home Buffy appeared, turns out she hid behind the washing machine. She'd lost a lot of weight and didn't look good. She's only nibble a little canned cat food. 

We had a vet visit set up when the clinic opened Thursday morning but she didn't make the night. 

Buffy Frost, cat was our most serious loss to the quake. We skated but it still hurt to lose her. At least I got a little more lap time with her before she crossed the Rainbow Bridge. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, sorry to hear about Buffy. We know how much pets mean to us. Our lovely ragdoll cat was taken by snake bite a few years ago and my wife still misses her. Some cats just do that to you. Like Buffy.

This is Mountain. Her & her sister Dew are the first shop cats I've had since my junkyard cat died several years back. 

Don't let her dolly pollie looks deceive you (27 pound cat). She's a stone cold killer where her anvil us concerned. That is her bed & she'll happily kill any critter that comes near it. The big grinder has also been claimed.

I've seen her take down our 70 pound lab for setting foot in her smithy once. Might have ate the poor dog if I hadn't stopped it.

She's not a mean cat, just protective of her tools. I'm starting to think that I just borrow them from her. 

Dad & Frosty. My condolences for y'alls loses. Good cats are just like family. 

1214181835.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is Oliver he was a cat forgotten at our local Petco.

We were told he csme in as s kitten and had been there a year.

No one wanted him. When we bought him home he had trouble jumping, couldn’t stick his landings.

He spent too much time in that cage.

But he’s learning how to play as we have another cat the same age and they get along like brothers.

Hopefully the video uploads..

Guess not.

Fenwick is the black cat   Oliver is the other.

2C064DC8-E1D7-443C-9091-212DBA6AC612.jpeg

AC581E17-723B-4A95-B409-8598906AA655.jpeg

73C524A4-32A1-4EFF-81B6-EAB037BF8D14.jpeg

A year in a cage is not good for a kitten, glad it has a home and you're bringing Oliver around. Does he have a kennel he can call home? We kennel train all our house critters and if you can't find one it's probably in it's kennel. 

Good job on the rescue.

Frosty The Lucky.

Das, sorry to hear about your cat. 

This is Ziggy, the best friend i ever had, my faithful companion. With me no matter what. If you seen one of us you seen both of us. Today he crossed into that great beyond. Glad none of my friends seen a grown man break down like i did this afternoon

o20180220_175507.thumb.jpg.3f4e85e8a3ecb1b7d246aba8d81c8855.jpg

He was 10 years old. Pure bread mut. Smartest most well behaved dog i have ever owned. 

Nice that you saved Oliver, Grumpy. get a load of those massive paws! My wife thinks he's just beautiful.

Sad for you, Billy, with the loss of Ziggy. All of us who have lost a faithful companion know what it's like.  No shame in grieving, mate.

It always is a hard loss and there will never be another the same. We have to understand that they have shorter life spans and live every moment to its fullest. It really sounds like you two were best friends.

There are other furry friends in need of loving friends (I'd say owners but they usually own us :) )out there. None are alike but all need loved. If and when you can, give another furry friend a great life.  

I feel for you and yours Billy, losing a family member is always hard. Ziggy deserves your tears, I know every dog I ever lost did. I'll ring Abby's supper dish for Ziggy tonight. I can't think of a dog I lost I didn't cry for. As painful as losing them is I wouldn't be without a dog, I pity folks who don't share their lives with one. 

Well said Das! Rescue pets never forget. 

Grumpy: Our cats are inside only cats but all our pets have a carrier. Deb tamed down a feral kitten who lives in the upstairs bedroom, has his own shelf in the closet where he can see the whole room, especially the Doxy pup "Ronnie" who THINKS she wants to catch that cat. Qiviut is fully armed, his front claws are more like talons, needle sharp and wickedly hooked. Very leery though, probably from his first few months abandoned by mother in our barn.

How'd your pets do with New Years fireworks? If there are any close of course, we live above a gravel pit with two private gun ranges bracketing us, we get LOTS of celebrants.

Falki our now re-homed Icelandic Sheepdog was only maybe 4 months old on 4th. of July and never got over his fear of loud bangs. Living between gun ranges was one of our reasons for finding him a better place to live.

Anyway, our experience with Falki led Deb to do a little proactive training. Starting early last night, every time we heard a pop, she made a happy fuss and treated all the dogs, especially Ronnie. It wasn't long and all the dogs lined up for a cookie every time a firework or gun went off. Deb just taught the dogs fireworks were a good thing it was just amazing. Come midnight the house was getting rattled every couple seconds and darned if the dogs didn't sleep through it all.

Unfortunately even though he slept Baxter was a LOT more rattled than we thought but he took the 11/30 earthquake much harder than the others. He didn't settle down till it got light enough outside he could see it was wind not fireworks making all the noise outside.

Frosty The Lucky.

After the loss of our great dog a few years ago we decided not to have more as we travel 4 - 5 months a yr and will for as long as we can but this morning I was in the blacksmith shop moving things around into winter storage position so the Backhoe can get in when we leave in 3 weeks  .Out of the corner of my eye I saw something white scoot across a bench then behind a box setting there.  Couple minutes later a white Weasel appeared with a mouse in it's mouth and calming had it's breakfast keeping an eye on me all the time.  So Herman the Ermine will be the shop pet/security system for the winter.   Will be interesting what happens when he runs into the red squirrels in the Big garage / tractor shop hoping he wins.