I Forge Iron

Spanky Smith

Frosty

Spanky Smith is going in for much needed spinal surgery next Tuesday, a collapsed cervical disk has had her in unbearable pain for some time and it's become debilitating. Her neurosurgeon has convinced her insurance Co. it's necessary surgery and she's approved. Right now she's staying in as comfortable a position as she can find.

What she needs is some help from Higher. While it isn't nearly as risky a procedure as it was just a little while ago it's always a risk to go under the knife and so stressful.

I'm asking the gang to offer prayers for her to ease her concerns, pain and aid recovery.

Thanks all, Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much, guys.  Everyone keeps asking me if this is "because of blacksmithing," but it isn't, this is an old issue that has just gotten to the point of being unbearable.  As I explained to the neurosurgeon, this is an "excessive mileage" injury, too many years of living alone and doing everything and anything by myself, lifting, toting, building, hauling, etc.  Basically blew out a vertebrae in my neck and now the pain running down my arm is absolutely excruciating.  I can't wait for Tuesday and (hopefully) some relief and the chance to resume a normal life - this has become quite life-limiting.  

As I told Frosty, I'll never turn down additional prayers, so thank you ALL for yours.  From what I understand the recovery time is pretty amazing anymore, they have come a very long way with this type of neurosurgery.  So I'm hoping all goes well, though I'm not (too) ashamed to admit I'm being a little girly/scared about it.  Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. 

Girly? Any man who didn't feel trepidation at such surgery is a fool. It is only wise and prudent to hope for the best and be prepared for the worst. 

Crusty old smiths with sore knees not withstanding, I have faith you will posting pictures of your recovery and trading jabs with the rest of us with in a few days. My prayers gladly sent 

It's amazing what a big change in ones life the cessation of pain can be.  You are in my prayers and I am hoping for the best.  

It's amazing how people want to blame blacksmithing for anything that goes wrong with us----carpal tunnel?  Must have been the hour or two of blacksmithing you average a week and not the 50+ hours of computer work....My stock answer to "do you ever burn yourself?" is "sure especially when I'm cooking bacon...I average more ouches cooking food than cooking steel."

I'm trying not to think about the fact that someone is quite literally about to slit my throat.  The spinal surgery is done anteriorly, they go in through the front, slitting your throat and pushing the larynx aside to access the spine.  Gulp.....thinking good thoughts....IFI'ers praying for me....pain relief is the goal.....all good.     Gulp...

Spanky, don't think of how they are doing it, or what they are doing at this point. just have faith that they know what they are doing and think of what you will be able to do when your not in crippling pain any more. I think that would be better thoughts. :) put your thoughts toward a list of what you'd be happy doing. 

That's good advice Das, worrying about the details of things we don't know how to do can only cause us more stress than necessary. How about kicking back and anticipating living without the pain? We're here pulling for you, prayers go up from Alaska pretty regularly.

Oh and a piece of Frosty advice. Find some teenagers to do the heavy lifting will ya? Kids from our church youth group cut brush, stack fire wood, cleaned the barn when we had livestock, etc. They work for burgers and pop and I can ride herd on the BBQ easy enough it doesn't count as work and they get to pick up surprisingly useful skills. Seriously there are techniques to doing "grunt" work efficiently, clearing brush isn't just going in and whacking at it. Some cut, some stack some pack and it not only goes faster but it's easier work.

Okay, that's a lot  more yakking than the advice needs but that's my style.

Be well Darlin, we're pulling for you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Good Luck Spanky. you  are in my thought, I had spinal surgery 6 yrs ago lower than yours but I was so bad off I begged the Doc. to operate on the floor of his office if needed.  He operated at 6:30 at night to fit me in and I walked out of the hospital at midnight hadn't been able to walk in 6 weeks.  Not real straight but I walked!  Thought and prayers are for you and keep us posted. 

Don't think about what they are going to do just remember they get the big bucks for knowing how and they can't even light a forge most likely so we all do what we do best.  I'm always big boy scared driving in the parking lot of a hospital even if I'm visiting.  I always look up operations after I've had it and then think Oh that's why this or that feels like it does.  Need comfort recovering I always keep a nice soft recliner that lets you adjust the angles to sleep works great.