• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well don't be greedy---a long relationship is better than a single windfall! A couple of bottle openers with their initials on them might make them happy to load you up!

My quench tank is made from a section of tank too. I did build a surround for it so it couldn't be knocked over without some real work. Oil is a pain to clean up---especially burning oil, (though my shop with a metal building and a sand floor wouldn't do much damage, have to shovel out the oily sand and pour another couple of buckets from the arroyo into the hole.)

BTW my propane forge: two burner NA; was made from a section of welding tank.  Nice and stable with the weight.

ThirdHand.jpg.e5b73a2629b7d92990d0da0757075dbc.jpg

interesting.  the tank I got was aluminum and only about 35 inches tall.  But if I'd get the taller oxy or Inert gas cylinders, would it not they produce both quench tank and a gong?  as to being greedy, well they seem to think I'm doing them a favor hauling their junk away.  too bad there is really no way to easily repurpose acetylene tanks, as there are some of them there for the taking as well.   I've known the family who owns the business since I was about 14.(I'm chronologically advanced now)   a few brothers who are locally famous drag racers and general hot rodders, so I'm somewhat connected by past experiences.  .  

It is a liability issue with some companies. They give you a scrap tank then you use it and have an accident---and a bad case of lawyeritis ensues....

Some shops will only release them after they torch a hole in them, others don't release them at all just straight to scrap. The trick is probably working out a good relationship with the owner/manager.

Liability is a concern but nobody will fill one without a current hydro test stamp if it doesn't have one they test it. A failed tank won't heal and pass a second test. Here they have a failed stamp you'd have to grind away. 

Good relations is probably the key but some companies may be getting decent scrap prices. I'd like a nice bell or wind chime you can hear in the next town. Well would have, the current neighbors are nice folk. Still. . . 

Frosty The Lucky.

Stopped by the steel supplier to see what might be in the drop bin. In addition to some 1/2” square, they had this yard-long chunk of 1/2” x 1-1/2”, which I nabbed. All my split-rein tongs hitherto have been made from 3/8” x 1”, and I’ve been wanting to try something a bit beefier. This should do nicely. 

F951E633-FC9F-4E2A-B3A6-F27E935D1100.jpeg

The local garage that looks after my work vans saved me a few springs. 4 in this bag and a second bag of 4. As is normally the case with me I don't know what I am going to use them for at the moment but it's not in my nature to turn down free stuff. 

Though I will scrounge anything I can I also believe in sharing so if there is anyone in the Leeds area reading this that could use a spring or 2 let me know. 

20181004_162855.jpg

16 hours ago, seldom (dick renker) said:

old co2 fire extinguishers make good bells, etc

lally column make great wind chimes if you cant get your hands on bell material

this one was made for the guy that runs our transfer station and i managed to get all the parts out of the metal dumpster of a month or so right down to so really bad 7018 and a ball hitch for the clapper

10624715_10204184069139695_4280009060003935232_n.jpg

Got a nice piece of shop equipment today at the fleamarket:  a German Ayinger 1 liter lidded stein, US$3,   Keeps the fly ash and other dust out of your drink and more importantly the flies and yellowjackets!  You can cool the heavy ceramic in the refrigerator to help keep your drink cold. I've used a number of them out in the shop over the years. Unfortunately they are a "consumable"; so whenever I find a good one cheap I try to pick it up...

liddedstein.jpg.a4f95dd7da692a92247bfbcd34280ee6.jpg

7 hours ago, the iron dwarf said:

I often see such things for conveying powders and other stuff inside tubes driven slowly by a motor

I think you're on to it. Spirals like these are commonly used as feed augers, such as used on pig farms.

Al (Steamboat)

On 10/7/2018 at 4:52 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Got a nice piece of shop equipment today at the fleamarket:  a German Ayinger 1 liter lidded stein, US$3,   

Since that is definitely a German “tankard” we shall refer to it as a Krug, especially having a lid, and not a stein. My family will hand you a stone if you ask for a stein! Whatever you English wish to call it, we shall both agree to call it a nice find and good deal! ;-)