I Forge Iron

It followed me home

What a coincidence about the Duff milling machine.  I just learned two days ago that my mechanic is setting up a metal working shop at his home and also has a Duff milling machine like yours and he told me the same story about the collets.  He too has looked all over to find them and also told me about the $481 price for having one made.  I have never heard of Duff but he told me they were made in Haverhill, MA which is the town next to mine.  I wouldn't waste any time looking for the D5 collets - just get it reworked for R8 and get working with it.  Great deal you got too!

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Billy, have you investigated changing out the spindle of the duff for a Bridgeport spindle with the r8 collets? I searched a little and it reads like it is fairly straightforward involving a new spindle and lower bearing. I have bought a new spindle(China made) for an old Bridgeport off the internet for less than $100. Maybe this would be a possibility?

I have, and I think that's probably the direction I will end up going. It preserves the original spindle and still accomplishes my overall goal. However, I'm no machinist and the precision needed for that is probably beyond my skill level. I'll likely have to pay someone to do it or tackle and extreme learning curve.

Same guy who I got the post vice and anvil from last weekend had me over to pick through his shop again this weekend. Got a trunk full of goodies. Wilton Vise, bolt cutters, 2 ball peen hammers, 2 Axe Heads, a chisel, set of sockets with socket wrench, Columbian forsner drill bits, complete set of drill bits, blacksmith puzzle, 500 pound hoist, 550 pound come along, and a baby anvil. All for $120.

20181111_141148.jpg

Fleamarket today: large ballpeen US$2,  4" Adjustable C clamp in great shape $1 2 loaves raisin bread $1 apiece. Backup for my old flip  cell phone with USB charger $5 and it seems to still have the previous owners sim card in it, pictures, contacts....

Found another 16# sledge head; after hunting fruitlessly for months  for a second one the 3rd pops up in no time flat didn't ask the price as I'm not in the market. 

Just got this from the local "Restore" . Came out of their shop but the kid said they never used it. Lots cheaper than buying the materials and subjecting them to my welding. Top is 5/16 " plate and it's good and solid. Nice welding/assembly cart. 

Hawk

image.jpg

image.jpg

Made a quick trip to the scrap yard and made some pretty good finds.  Two little keyhole type files, axe head, splitting wedge, hand saw, hoof nippers (might wind up being tongs), several wrenches, crescent wrench (nicer than the one I had), heavy scissors, two chisels, some rebar, c-clamp, and two pieces of brass on the right I might make small hammers out of.  It was 15$ minus the brass and 20$ with it.  That scrap yard is better than going to bass pro.  

IMG_20181113_180656.jpg

Found this big bad blower at a local wood working shop. The fan is free, i.e. it spins and produces Air! One draw back, no handle for it.  I haven’t been able to find a ton of information regarding it, XXXX I haven’t seen too many that match it. It is from The Sanderson Cyclone Drill Company, Orrville, Ohio.  I believe above the arrow reads 3 B L 1 (?) not sure what that is designating.  If anyone knows anything regarding it I would greatly appreciate some genealogy regarding it. Not sure if I will leave it as is, if I decide to restore it I am not sure where I would start.  Definitely needs a handle to blow though 

F17DDC00-E34B-42F6-8E3E-1EDC8B13A5A7.jpeg

A990E47C-CAD0-4598-9789-D2728219F519.jpeg

For the restore part, just wire wheel and/or brush to remove the loose rust, a little gold accent paint for the lettering and coat with boiled linseed oil. Should provide a nice dark patina and make the old gal pretty again. You could fab up something to attach a new handle to the coupling or replace the coupling entirely, hard to tell how it's attached from the photo.