• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got some shop time in and finished up some brackets to get my stock up off the floor.

9C45D468-17DC-4363-98C5-85FF4721D3EC.jpeg.e39b2215a771d6e1b0b695239352092d.jpeg

I’ve more stacked steel and wrought iron in the other corner. So, I guess I need to make more to put that up and try to organize it all by size… A lot of work to do before the hammer-in here in January. (And I have got to replace that horrible vise stand in the picture)

Keep it fun,

David

That is correct. Grades A2-A10 are specifically air-hardening, but S7, H13, and D2 (and probably others I don't personally know about) also are. What this means is that they can form a martensic structure without having to be quenched rapidly in oil, water, etc.

Also a number of alloys can be Air hardening in thin cross section, O-1 IIRC is a common one.  Most HT charts are based on 1" cross section so a 1/16" knife blade can fool you!

Snowman: how about the wheels getting smaller as you go up?  Giving them mock shotguns is NOT suggested!

Friday night: loaded the truck for Saturday.  Saturday drove to Albuquerque and did a day long SCA Guild Moot; morning I taught a class in making Penannular Brooches, afternoon a class in making dishing hammers from dome headed RR bolts. (Not spikes, Bolts.)   Temperature was 17 degF, (-8.3 degC), when we were setting up: blinding sun, low humidity and thin air, (over 5280' altitude) so it didn't feel cold. (Although wearing 3 tunics, and two sets of trews and wool socks and my leather boots probably helped a lot!)  Spent Saturday night at my Daughter's house.

Sunday; drove home and unloaded, built a fire in the woodstove and spent some quality time with my wife.

Today: going to refill my 100# tank at lunch; as I probably won't be able to do any heavy lifting for a while after getting 3 teeth pulled tomorrow.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:31 AM, ThomasPowers said:

Hondo; why not mount it on an old propane grill cart?  Some of them are quite large. Junk the grill body and bolt your grill in place?  I must pass a discarded propane grill several times a week and I DON'T live in a thickly settled area!

That's a great idea and I will look into it. 

On 12/10/2021 at 9:20 PM, Daswulf said:

On 12/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, Frosty said:

One arm could be holding a pipe as if ready to take a draw. Or holding a broom or snow shovel. Tongs in one hand and hammer in the other is maybe a limited market.

adding to what frosty said how about a spot that they can put a snow shovel to store it nicely by the door in the hand?

M.J.Lampert

Its a trick of the angle and camera Thomas they do progress bigger to smaller, tho not excessively. I didnt have a background at the moment that it wouldnt get lost in. I suppose I could have laid it down for the picture. 

Shovel holder would be handy. 

Why no mock shotguns? I could make an angry face one. Kinda like the idea. 

I don’t really punch and drift enough holes yet to justify anything more than the coil spring and other automotive scrap I currently use, but I have wanted to try some H13 or S7. I was just not wanting to waste my money on something that would be impossible to work by hand after it cools. Now that I know this doesn’t happen, I may try some, that and Atlantic 33 which Brent Bailey recommends. Evidently it doesn’t need to be tempered. 

Just now I was curious about the spelling of H13, meaning H13, H-13, or H 13. After Googling it, I found it spelled as both H13 or H-13.  I suppose it is however one wants to spell it. 

I also found I could purchase H13 from Walmart with free shipping. What is up with that?

556A996C-DD72-4C02-BA31-0D408EA60E9F.png

You could mount the arms and shotgun on the center wheel's axle so it'd move up and down. A little creative use of counter weights, spring, motion sensor and electromagnets and it wouldn't move until someone walked or drove up the driveway. Maybe a flagman's vest and stop/slow paddle or flag would be more appropriate? Not as much fun though

I think if the gang puts our minds to it we could freak your neighbors right out Das. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

Haha I'm not too worried about freaking out the neighbors. The one bad one has been long gone. Since I live on a corner of two roads everyone seems to mind my business but none of them seem to mind. I get the odd curious question about this or that but no one complains and everyone seems friendly. 

I was asked by the neighbor up the road how I got wild turkeys to live in my chicken coop and run... apparently they had a discussion about it. I should have let the mystery go and turn into legend but I explained that I bought them as chicks and they were bronze turkeys not the wild variety.  They really thought wild turkeys joined my flock of chickens and guinea fowl for food and comradery. 

I like the vest idea. Perhaps could make it so he could hold any sign and be dressed in any jacket, shirt, vest and different hats and let the buyer have fun with it. 

I planned on welding them solid but a center pole isn't a bad idea and saves me from bothering to pull out the hub and bearings. Some spinny stuff would be fun. 

I agree BigGun, the arms could start higher up. 

Uh, Frosty, I was reading your comment on the turkey and axe and there was a peck at my shop window that is shared with the coop. I think the turkey staring at me doesn't like the idea.