• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lots of scroll making for another commission:

59905539-C846-48B1-A781-1FF7253AE086.jpeg

C30EB50D-7DDD-42E7-BEA5-E2EA763D44CD.jpeg

Which got a lot easier when I converted one side of my smallest scrolling wrench into a cam that I could use to wedge the tip of the scroll in place:

0A3A86C6-6AE7-468F-B245-156890066FF8.jpeg

D1818DDE-BD9E-4EFB-83F5-FF11D0D51810.jpeg

20073906-62D3-458D-A697-0D1069E9978B.jpeg

5EC99B8D-7B66-46E5-B381-0399E6DFF906.jpeg

Also split one of my chunks of S7 into three strips that I’ll make into punches or something eventually. 

9248ED44-6550-48F6-B876-6072F2902CB9.jpeg

5DE3DA3A-494C-4F72-987B-4D5B083D09E6.jpeg

Man, I love that treadle hammer. 

Haven't ran the forge lately. Tennis elbow struck my left arm so that makes both arms that become useless with little effort. Been wanting to get me a propane forge going. I had an old air compressor tank that is 10 gallon. I cut the end off it thinking that was going to be my new forge and I saw how big it was. I'll never afford to run one that size. So I welded the end back on and turned it into a bbq grill. Yesterday I burned a bunch of scrap wood in it to burn off the paint. Today I eventually got hinges on it and got some tabs welded in so it holds the grill. At first I tried old cabinet hinges I had. They sorta worked until I had to manhandle it some and they broke off. I went to Lowe's and bought some good steel hinges and they were in in less than 20 minutes. Tomorrow I have to get the vent cover on it so I can adjust how much air it's getting. My wife says I need to put legs on it since it's so low to the ground. I don't have any steel that would work as legs though so it's gonna be short for a while. At least I don't have to worry about a cheap flimsy falling apart grill anymore. Now if only I had some charcoal and some meat. 

JHCC, that is quite the idea for the wrench there. I did a pile of scrolls over the summer and wish i would have thought of that. 

Hondo, wish you were closer i would tell you to come over and get some of this pile of tubing i acquired. Tore apart a couple porch swings square and round tubing.

Jobtiel, nice hatchet. I like that shape. 

Working on a snowman from bicycle wheels and some rebar. Brake rotor for the base. This is a concept piece so its a little rough right now. Trying to think of a better sellable pose with his arms. Wheels are bigger bottom to top but the perspective makes it look different.  Also, it will get painted.

20211211_001133.thumb.jpg.978144c873a15de1ca4dc48e8ddd6a6f.jpg

It is 3.88889 degrees Celsius today. SI units are Ok for most things, but lousy for temperature and club selection in golf. 39 degrees is bloody cold. 3.88889 degrees Celsius is the same uncomfortably cold as 39, but sounds much worse. 9 degrees C sounds just as cold, but really isn’t.

Anyway, what I plan to do outside at the forge today is make a few ornaments. If they don’t turn out terrible, I will post pictures. 

I am curious about that S7 (H13 also) If you buy it in an annealed state and heat it up to cut it, wouldn’t it be hard to forge later after it has cooled, even when brought back up to a forging temp?  I have never used it, mainly because I have no press or power hammer, but also because I thought I would have to keep it hot the entire time I was working it. It is very rare that I would totally finish something in a single session. I get bored after a bit and do a little on other things. 

1 hour ago, DHarris said:

I am curious about that S7 (H13 also) If you buy it in an annealed state and heat it up to cut it, wouldn’t it be hard to forge later after it has cooled, even when brought back up to a forging temp?

Short answer: No. 

Longer answer: Nooooooooooo.

Serious longer answer: Once you heat steel into the proper temperature range for forging (which for S7 is a starting temperature of 1950°F to 2050°F, and don’t forge it below 1695°F), its forging characteristics are going to be the same regardless of what heat treatments have or have not been done prior to forging. This is true for practically all steels, and any  annealing before forging is basically a waste of time and fuel. 

That said, if I wanted to *machine* the S7, I would definitely do that in its annealed state, before I do any forging. I haven’t taken those forged pieces to the bandsaw since I split them, but I’d wager they’d do more damage to the blade now than the blade previously did to them. However, I’m not worried about them being in forgeable once I heat them up again. 

On 12/1/2021 at 10:16 PM, JHCC said:

we made him a curved-blade two-handed froe for slicing wooden shingles.

[…]

We had a LOT of fun with Lou and his student striking while I directed. Another friend took a video, which I will try to post later. 

As promised:

22 hours ago, DHarris said:

I am curious about that S7

I have a hammer eye punch made from S7. Started as a 1 1/2" x 2" round worked completely by hand at the anvil. I did not find it anymore difficult to work than any other high carbon steel. I actually find A-2 to be much more difficult to work with, but i think most of my problem with the A-2 is heat management. 

Jus looked up some info on S7. Found an amusing typo that says its working temp is 15,500* F, think they meant 1550.0*F. 

Something else as a curiosity, another site, from a supplier, said that S7 is air hardening OR oil hardening. Not quite sure what to make of that.