• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All those by hand? Impressive. I’m terrible at repeatability. 
I made some good progress on this log splitter press build. Got the body of the “ram and anvil” parts built. Going to try to get the dies done tomorrow. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that after taking some YouTube advice and changing out the wire that came with my little flux core with some Lincoln electric stuff from Home Depot I finally was able to make something that resembles a weld bead. Poor quality wire from HarborFreight I guess. I’m still quite sure at least some of these might break once this thing is under power but we’ll see. 
I have a tradition of giving my grandmother an angel for Christmas each year. Starting last year I make instead of buy them lol. Wanted this one to stand up on its own instead of having a little stand like last years. Diamond holes are way off but it’s ok. 

BCD58CDC-25E9-4926-B103-D391F6419981.jpeg

45995517-3D40-48FF-931B-005BC1E9B473.jpeg

C17C8C53-BCDA-4B2A-A666-8BE3E746231C.jpeg

B35B9F84-003A-45A0-8D2E-E7191774C378.jpeg

Hay! A Bluerooster! :D 

I need to try some chain one day.

Angel looks good. Mabe I'll be able to do that some day.

I spent an hour or two doing another dragon head.  Guy on YT puts the whiskers on the chin, Most dragons have whiskers on the upper lip. So I set about the task of trying to forge a dragon head with whiskers on the upper lip.  Learned something. (after snapping off a whisker)  Don't split the whiskers, untill the rest of the face is roughed in. Or mabe even save it till very last.   I had the whiskers drawn out, split, and rounded, then set about forming the face, nostrils, and eyes. When I went to open the mouth, a whisker snapped off.  I figure too many heats on too small material. (whiskers)    I didn't get pictures as it was too dark for my phone camera.  I was working toward dragon head that doesn't look like a Hippo face. 

Man that would get old really quick!

I don’t have alot of electric power out here without blowing breakers, so I ain’t got much experience with electric machines, most all my machines are engine powered, log splitter, air compressor, welder, ect… list goes on, gas an diesel, 

I can’t even plug in a electric chop saw without overloading a breaker in my shop so I just gravitated to engine power over the last 9 years lol, 

1 hour ago, bluerooster said:

A Bluerooster! :D

It’s for a place called the Blue Rooster Bakehouse!

1 hour ago, TWISTEDWILLOW said:

JHCC I really like the color you chose! 

It’s a gloss enamel from Rustoleum. The color is “Lagoon”, and it matches the blue in the bakery’s printed materials. 

The rest of the bracket is Rustoleum “Hammered” spray paint in gloss black. 

JHCC I really like how the Rooster came out..  Very nice.. 

Billy Great time on the chain.. If you can for further refinement try not to flatten out the welded area so much.. Try to keep it round with the swells on the outside.  

Today I went and picked up the first load of Foundry equipment.  Back of truck was full too. 

20211204_162548.jpg

20211204_162601.jpg

Nice haul Jennifer. 

John, look into the engine/exhaust spray can paints. They are quite a bit more durable and spray nice and dry quick. More expensive with maybe not quite  the range of colors but you might be surprised with what they do have. 

On occasion I have used the engine/exhaust clears over other dried brands of spray paint to some success. 

Thanks for the tip, Das. I’ll keep that in mind next time. The customer in this case wanted to use what we could get from the hardware store four doors up the street, as he really likes helping the other small businesses in town. 

Das I believe it does have to go all the way back but with the size of the rams it shouldn’t have to travel too far. I also have to rig something up to bypass the two handed operation. Have to hold a button and press the level to get it to move. And build a stand so I don’t have to lay down while using it lol. Lots of work left. 

I tried out my stick welder for the first time today. First time welding as well. I made a V block, and also a guillotine tool that accepts the smaller sized leaf spring, for which I picked up a full size 10 or 11 leaf spring for 20 euro's yesterday. It's not the best welding, far from it actually, but it's stuck together. I think it will take some pounding too. Both have 1 inch shanks. I'm still deciding if I make a bigger opening or even take a part of the middle put completely for the guillotine tool. I guess I'll try it out for it's intended use first.

IMG_20211202_181941.thumb.jpg.6151b28bb6272247bf16fc00cc7a4d7b.jpgIMG_20211202_181948.thumb.jpg.b8e21ec7271a37d14d70dee3cbcdfcc1.jpgIMG_20211203_162321.thumb.jpg.1a06dd0f6dafa109072b02bd2a4ad689.jpg

~Jobtiel

Jobtiel, it may be beneficial to grind the welds flat and do a second pass over them for a little added security. They will be taking a beating so you don't really want them "possibly" flying apart while you have hot metal in one hand and and a hammer in the other. 

I myself will grind down the first weld and make a second pass on something that will be taking a beating. 

When something breaks apart you are usually Not expecting it to so it can be surprising when it happens. 

JHCC, cant wait to see the sign in action. Looking good. 

Jenifer, i am just happy the welds are holding at this point and the links are more or less uniform. But i do agree they need a bit rounder at the weld. I like making chain. Nice warm up exercise to get the day going.

I was trying another candle holder but with 3 sockets. I broke 1 of the tenons off the branch. Frustrated i threw it across the shop, grabbed a cold adult beverage, and called it a day. 

Jobtiel, pretty good for the first time ever welding in my opinion. Keep on, you will only get better. 

Nice works as always Alexandr. Really cool to have stuff you made on the other side of the world lol. 

I made some good progress on the log splitter press. Got one die done. I really regretted cutting this 1/2” plate for the dies as soon as I started with a 4 inch grinder lol. I did it bc I have a lot of it and I wanted to close the gap between the two dies as much as possible. I might see if I can just buy some 3x3 squares of it to make more dies. Coming along nicely though. 

160585F8-038E-42B8-B72F-F85DC10B06A4.jpeg

5253A227-D658-41E3-BA08-503864432621.jpeg