• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice looking chisels Pat, but don’t flare them out so much. Like the one in the third picture. You must have a straight line behind the edges or you will knock those corners of. The edge is hardened and you don't have enogh tempered steel behind those flared edges. I learned that the hard way. If you google a cold cut chisel, you'll see that thay have a straight line behind the edge or that it even tapers towards the edge.

I'm finishing up my torch cart. I added a rounded piece for the oxy bottle to sit in at the top, and a chain. And for the propane bottle i used a clamp for a tank that usually goes on on an RV. It works well. Then im going to reorganize and clean the shop some more.

On 10/26/2021 at 8:19 AM, Pat Masterson said:

Very cool handling concept. Is it inlaid into that side of the handle or was it thin enough that it wasn’t necessary? Really like how the manufacturers stamping was left. 

I like that too!  It was a fair sized bearing race, @3 1/4" diameter, and about 5/8" wide. Was a tapered roller bearing,

Jennifer, I'd really like to know how you saved the writing. Every time I flatten out a bearing, it all goes away.

Lary, I usually put the acid in a container when i use it, it may eat through those boards and stuff. :lol: 

Seriously though how did you do the finish? Electroplating or just clean the metal and do a hot rub like with a brass brush? I ask becuase i tried electroplating a few weeks ago and failed. 

I'd recommend leaving the mold in place until you've finished casting. The curing of the existing KOL won't be hurt by having it there, and you won't have to re-insert it to finish casting the top and sides.

That said, the texture of your KOL looks perfect.

Gandalgreen is that a Hell’s Forge single burner or an entirely homemade forge? I ask because I can see a small chrome looking logo type thing in one of the pics that looks similar to the ones on hells forges but can’t make out what it says. If it is Hells Forge did you not go with the lining materials they provide because you just wanted something stronger right off the bat? I have a single burner Devil Forge which looks basically the same as the hells and the refractory they sent lasted quite long - I guess it’s almost a year now and it only really started going down hill quick after I started using flux. I now have new kaowool and kastolite on the way so I’m curious to see how yours comes out as I’m guessing mine will be a very similar process. Did you rigidize the kaolwool first? I believe my forge originally came with the kaowool already installed and rigidized, then I just put the included refractory on it but I could be remembering wrong. 

Pat yes it is the hells forge single burner. it did come with a product to use but the info I read about it I was not impressed. it came lined with wool that I had to rigidize.  after reading about the product they send and then KOL I decide to do KOL. soon as I get some more KOL ordered and delivered I will finish and post.

had a great day in the shop was working on a project for school making a copper  ring had no copper stock so I took old electrical cables and melted them into a bar this became a 3 generation job as my grandfather came over to get help from my father then my father came out and helped as well. turned out with the homemade crucible (heavy wall pipe with a piece of 1/2in steel in bottom) and the fact I couldn't heat it proper via my forge i ended up using the forge tipped up and a oxy-acetylene torch to get it heated and poured it into a piece of angle iron blocked off after some clean up I had a nice bar of copper and then proceeded to wreck it as i broke 2 rings i have enough to get 2 more attempts in tomorrow or i must fork over the cash to by a length of copper rod(which would most likely have cost less than the propane, oxygen and acetylene I used to cast but hey experience is price less right?;))

IMG_0186.thumb.JPG.4f32ce3b333659383b348f0d57160e67.JPG

IMG_0188.thumb.JPG.8a58dc5812c229efd0d5c94cb5c6c1e9.JPG

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.728568365bb21c75f89eee5d098d137f.JPG

also o broke my 2 coated bricks for the back side of the forge and have no coating left left uncoated i have melted these bricks before when i built my first setup

(hence my discovery of IFI not all bad things are that bad)IMG_0189.thumb.JPG.bd0313c46c99b95d69cd6a0e50ab381e.JPG 

M.J.Lampert

p.s. will give update on ring when completed