• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fastest way to understanding is to take a class or hit up a conference or join a local group.   A class and conference will bring you consistent level of workmanship since these are usually paid to show you their ability and help  you to see the possiblity. 

Groups can be hit or miss and there are certainly many capable people out there. 

I could have you making a knife like this in 3 days with help and guidance..  Might take you 3 months after the class to replicate it but you would then know how to do it. 

This has some stuff done to it that is not beginner work.. Like the rear but cap and nut.. There is some fitting stuff that is complicated and the hole for the nut is not straight thru but at an angle. 

Anyhow, soon you will have your forge going and you'll have something to look forwards to.   Thanks 

one day I hope to definitely take a lesson or class on bladesmithing. just doesn't fit into my schedule right now especially with me just getting offered new job as long as everything go thru I will be back to full restaurant hours. bye bye weekends and holidays but need the money to get things right and tight money wise and enjoy my forge Monday and Tuesdays with a lot of self teaching by hammering and either doing it right or doing it wrong and learning not to do that.

So this kastolite seemed to set up pretty well on the inside but not on the edge where its not actually inside the forge. Hoping that won’t matter too much. I welded up this little bracket to make a firebrick door. Plan to do the same thing on the other side. The fire bricks weren’t quite the the right size so I tried to cut them - hack saw and angle grinder = fail. I guess some kind of masonry wheel would work to cut them? Just scoring a line with the grinder then hitting with a chisel made pretty clean breaks but of course I went for a little more and cracked them. 

ECF6D003-36F2-4479-ABA4-04913E068168.jpeg

A08BE140-4FE4-4503-BA88-DD9C081C6A4D.jpeg

thanks guys.. Rojo Pedro, I was inspired especially on the rear butt cap by the rounded caps on early items.. Pirate could be in that time frame..   Love working when inspired..  

Frazer, thanks.. copper is one of my favorites for contrast.. I love that it will darken with age/use.  

Das, thanks.. Everything works out how it supposed to..  I did not have my bottom tap handy so the extra length was to make up for the needed depth..  fun file work.. :) 

Latticino nice work. What is the stock size? 

Went yesterday and did a demo and teaching session on tong making..  Left hand tongs.

20211110_144201.jpg

20211111_054751.jpg

Latticino I’m betting I can tell you exactly from where you got that “inspiration” as JHCC correctly stated lol because Ive had a screenshot of almost that exact design on my phone from a Pinterest thread for about 8 months now haha originally from some kind of “blacksmith idea” google search or something - haven’t had the guts to try it yet but it’s an awesome design. Nice work. 

1BB9CAC4-83AC-4E9C-A744-22579DF94947.jpeg

3 hours ago, Pat Masterson said:

I guess some kind of masonry wheel would work

Pat, I cut them with a diamond masonry wheel on my 41/2 inch grinder. I have a cheap one, about $8, and it cuts them like butter. Wear a mask and face shield when doing it.

Apparently there's a lengthy process where you make a written application and have to be interviewed blindfolded. Then all the existing Grand Masters meet in secret to take a voice vote. If you get a provisional approval, you're allowed to attend as a Second Degree Novice.

Thanks for the feedback on the trivet.  My version had the sections joined with 1/8" copper rivets.  Don't have it here in front of me, but stock size was on order of 1/2"-5/8" (basically whatever I had enough of on hand at the time). Defect is that the last spiral I riveted on doesn't touch the other two in the center area, making it a little looser.  I forgot to clamp it there when I was drilling the last hole for the rivet.  Also the rivets were cut  a very little longer than they should have been so don't have as clean a crown as I like.  Next one will either use collars (if I ever get a collaring jig tool made up for my little fly press) or brass rivets for a little more strength.

Mine differs a little from the one Pat showed as I used a looser spiral and forged down the "legs" using 1/2 face blows to make a more subtle support.  Unlike Thomas, trivets I use at home are better shorter to avoid being top heavy.