I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Began trying to shape a piece from a failed WI hammer project into a raven’s head early this morning. Then spent the rest of the day shopping for a used F-150. My wife and I bought a travel trailer a few months ago, but don’t currently have a truck to pull it.

Took till late evening, but we may have found something. The first dealership we stopped at had me thinking we were on a fool’s errand. They wanted over $50k for the first truck we looked at. That is over $30k more than we paid for our first house. I was thinking maybe $20k-$25k.  The first guy laughed at us a bit. 

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 10/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, BillyBones said:

I ask becuase i tried electroplating a few weeks ago and failed. 

Billy I'm not convinced my technique will work just yet. But, poring muratic  acid over item then rinse with copper sulfate granules mixed with water. Doing this cold. Using just the copper sulfate, the finish rubs off. 

Lary, I use copper sulfate on several of my projects. I just wire brush the project when I finish forging and apply the copper sulfate mixed in water. it will not stick to areas where scale is left, but sticks to the clean areas with no problem. I wash it in hot water after applying, let it dry and brush it with a stainless brush to achieve the finish I want.

49973081_CopyofIMG_0847.jpg.000d79b4ef08d6925f48818194502d6f.jpg

Folks,

Copper sulfate (CuSO4) should stain steel.

But be warned; that chemical is poisonous. Do not inhale its fumes nor get the water-copper sulfate solution on your skin.

Interestingly;  copper sulfate was used as a popular rodent killer in Victorian times. There was no Warfarin then.

Cheers,

SLAG.

Dito, copper sulfate is dangerously toxic stuff use PPE! What plating I've done is with a copper sulfate solution and a battery charger. Clean the steel and degrease it, submerge it in the electrolyte (copper sulfate solution) connected to the charger and turn the charger on. 

This was an "experiment" in a chemistry set I got when I was maybe 10. That was powered by a D cell battery. 

Copper plating steel is EZ PZ but be careful, the electrolyte is B A D to get on or in you!

Frosty The Lucky.

MJ, melted scrap copper is a little like scrap steel, you need to experiment a little with it to see how it will handle.  I have found that you have to re-anneal Cu more often that you might think if you are working it cold.  It work hardens fairly fast.  Also, if you are hot forging it, you cannot tell temperature from color like you do steel.  Heat it for a brief period, say 3-5 seconds, and see if it is soft.  If not, go to 4-6 seconds.  Once you have the time down you can forge it.  If you get much color, a dull red, you are very close to having it melt or cottage cheese when you hit it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Jobteil, Les

Yes, I noticed the steel needs to be clean. Some scale helps the look, like with those roses. But that definitely takes practice to get the right balance. Very nice Les. How long do you wait before brushing? 

Lary, when you put it on, I use a chip brush, the color is there  no waiting time needed. Depending on the project I’ll leave scale on purpose, or I can’t clean it 100% like the roses, to add details. I haven’t tried the electroplating, like Frosty described, but it’s on my list 

Funny I came on here to ask about the rose I’m attempting from the pattern Les sent me and it’s already being talked about. Question about welding the leaves on - although after looking at the pic Les posted I think my leaves may be a bit too small. But is there a certain forge welding technique for this type of joint? Stem lengths will most likely change from pic. Considering just going with a regular arc weld or this solder stuff that comes with the plumbing torches which I feel like would be best for blending the joints. Never tried it on anything before. Anyone know if this stuff would hold?

And great, now I have to look into copper sulfate because those roses look amazing Les!

90CD4779-486C-4873-B9C1-09D134FBEC30.jpeg

F7F6B60E-C8F2-48B3-8C1C-C78FBCD9F462.jpeg

Melting copper: don't forget to flux and deoxidize the copper as copper oxide in the pour makes the resultant very brittle---just like annealing too many times can do so as well as it promotes O2 uptake.

I use my coal forge for crucible heating making a "volcano fire and making sure I keep enough coke under the crucible to keep the fire reducing around the crucible.

Arc welding works. Joining small stuff where the weld will not be hidden I like to acetylene weld. It gives a little more control and its easier to reheat if I think it needs a little more hammer work without going back to the forge. 

That IS a nice finish with the copper sulfate. I may have to give that a try. I've just been hot brushing with brass wire brush and was considering brazing with copper wire to get a richer contrast. Just so happens I have some copper sulfate. Its what I use in my cooling water for my induction forge.

I should wait until we make it to next page so this isn’t on the same page as Les’ roses but oh well. Same issue as last time setting the river part to hold everything down. Got everything all bent out of whack while trying to do it. I just don’t have a way getting that localized heat - the little 14oz propane torches just won’t do it. Finally used a very small ball punch and pushed down the sides. Had a real nice five point flower type pattern going but ended up ruining it to get it tight enough. Had the leaves and stem in much more appealing positions at first but once I got it here I decided to just leave it alone. All in all I’m not thrilled with it but it’s a major improvement from my last try. I’m sure my mom will like it as her Christmas present. Ended up arc welding the leaves as well. 

76DB3AA6-2F26-45A8-AC52-4B371094078F.jpeg

935BCAE2-BE9D-4756-A202-F6B716784D81.jpeg

EA2935E6-2C1B-491A-9ED8-0DB6968C7180.jpeg

2C28B490-B5E6-47C7-9671-58E6EEDECFC9.jpeg

80A0B241-40D5-4CDF-9BD2-ED08EDA8881C.jpeg

here it is third time is truly the charm torch heated the scroll to much and resulted in a blob I am still very happy with it and am considering to refine the process(allow for animal heads fancier leaves etc.)( except with actual stock and not melted wires) and sell them locally for a little while.(also might make excellent Christmas gifts)

M.J.Lampert

IMG_0193.thumb.JPG.76dbda8a656797a259351387076f9369.JPG IMG_0194.thumb.JPG.3035f7c8cf5a831d00952e2d0adddc4a.JPG IMG_0195.thumb.JPG.389d28f97bca0cbe3eba61de5fabfc4a.JPG IMG_0197.thumb.JPG.a6ac057a9b8ce4f9fd3c800a9a7f9a1d.JPG

ps I didn't see your remark when i wrote that

pps no I wont be wearing it while working as a. my father lost 2/3 a finger die to a ring and b. copper on hand plus electric equals :unsure: you get the picture

Edited by M.J.Lampert
added ps