I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

that blade just screams use me everytime I look at it. I know I already said it but that thing is amazing to me. again excellent work.

and yes I agree it sort of does look like a thundering hippo. but I still like it. 

I didnt get to do last part my KOL today after work I am to tired to stand got wooped on at work last 2 days. I will finish KOL stage of forge tomorrow morning and all goes well heating up some steel next Thursday. Thanks for inspiring me everyone your works are grand.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys ..  Gandalfgreen..  In one bladesmithing class you could be forging these out left and right.  Getting the tight fit up is where the time lays..   But once one understand how to get there it happens pretty quickly.. 

This knife is a gift for someone..  He doesn't even know it's coming..   :)  I can't wait for him to get it..  Better than christmas..  

I have 1 more knife to make after this one..  then I probably won't make another for a year.. 

BillyBones, the shop that I was the tool maker for was running Tornos CNC screw machines. 13 axis on some. We were running spindle speeds upwards of 12,000rpm.  They did high end electrical contacts and fiber optic terminations. Amazing machines, although they were phasing them out for new Star screw machines which I think was a mistake. One part was .012" dia x .24"long with a 60 degree point that had a .005" flat on the tip and a .0015" radius on the back end..  One rivet type shape was around the size of a period on standard newspaper text.  The majority of measuring was done with microscopes and other optics.

16 hours ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

13 axis on some. We were running spindle speeds upwards of 12,000rpm. One part was .012" dia x .24"long with a 60 degree point that had a .005" flat on the tip and a .0015" radius on the back end..  One rivet type shape was around the size of a period on standard newspaper text.  The majority of measuring was done with microscopes and other optics.

Crazy stuff. Really cool. I’m addicted to machining videos on YouTube. The precision aspect is incredible to me. 

I got a few more basket twists done this weekend. More Christmas gifts. Two utter and complete failures - one of which just would not weld no matter what I did. I must have had beginners luck on the first one I did a few weeks backs bc it was very graceful and smooth with the twists. Can’t say the same about these. I think I might be twisting too much and therefore the untwisting doesn’t go well. 

I have a couple cousins who play the guitar so I started one of two guitar bottle openers. Haven’t finished cutting through. Got the idea from a google pic though - not my own. 
Also saw my brother for the ufc fights - not sure if anyone here is into MMA/UFC but wow what a fight card last night. Screaming at the the TV for five straight fights. Anyway, seeing him meant I saw the rams heads tow hitch thing I made him which needs to be refinished AGAIN. I’ve tried paste wax, BLO and a spray on clear coat - nothing is stopping the rust. I think I’m going to try cleaning it real well and then do a primer and black paint job on it. Maybe a clear coat over the paint. If that doesn’t work then I don’t know what to do next. 

0D74D246-CFB5-4857-B55B-39A4A698A628.jpeg

8AD8AF7A-A39C-48F0-B3F0-1C9B39BA752A.jpeg

Pat, nice work. 

Don't know if you want to spring for the cost but I've had good results with duplicolor engine paint and more so with VHT flameproof exhaust paint. Usually found at the auto parts store. Clean and degrease the piece then get it over 75-80°f and spray it. Its a good tough finish. They have many colors including satin/matte clearcoats. 

Yesterday, I found that since I'd installed the vise, I have to walk around to get a tool from the table. (which is just a piece of plywood on a barrel)  I had an old 5 stall drop pen that hasn't been used for many years now, so I took it apart and used the lumber to make a more suitable table in a better location.  Then i went back to the shop to practice my TIG skills.  I found that the old obsolete torch with the leaky hose is better than the brand new one from HF.   I didn't get any before pics at the smithy, but here's a couple of afters.

IMG_20211107_131339475 (Copy).jpg

IMG_20211107_131257225 (Copy).jpg

Being that Bluerooster broke the ice with his dragon sculpture made from rebar, nice detail by the way.

Here is a scull I sculpted from 1 inch rebar awhile ago. Probably could of found easier material to work with.

skull1.jpg

JLP how is it?  I'm beginning to think about buying a nice propane forge.  The neighbor had a 2 burner Devil's forge he loaned me for a couple weeks and it wasn't bad.  My little one turkey burner brick forge is quickly getting too small for my projects and I have to make a new tyre for my coal forge.