I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

I only missed, what, twice? 

They all turned out pretty good looking to my eye, though one of the punches and one of the hot-cuts had particularly good features.

I was out of town all week, and my wife was excited when I told her LBS asked if I might be willing to strike for a while, and if I could. I don't know if it's spousal support, or if she just didn't want me back in the house yet!

Very much a good afternoon by my reckoning.

-------

In the morning, I confirmed my adobe brick held up through the week of drying, then I rigged up a system for the bouncy-house blower my Dad decided to send me. Hopefully I'll get to fire it up tomorrow if the wind doesn't get feisty

20200125_114518.jpg

20200124_202634.jpg

20200124_202140.jpg

Edited by CtG
Add pictures

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forged a knife and shot a video about preforms and how and why they are important. 

Preforms are equally important to regular blacksmithing work but even more important in knife work.

I created a new thread on here and was able to edit the video in 1 day to both a long and short version depending on how much info one wants to see.

I learned about preforms 40 years ago after reading some old books on sword and blade making.  Both books said to never hit the blade edge to correct width or geometry once the edge was forged.

20200124_173941.jpg

20200124_172144.jpg

20200125_151046.jpg

Edited by Mod34
Fixing typo

1 hour ago, BillyBones said:

Mr. mouse has been working on that same peanut for about 5 years now, i also think it is way to late for exercise, on the bright side he will never gain anymore weight. 

There's nothing wrong with savouring a good meal. 

Pnut

I think so. Your comment says “performs”, which is a verb meaning “to do” or “to accomplish”. I suspect you meant “preform” (“pre-form”), which is the initial rough shaping that (in this case) moves the main masses of metal in the correct places for further shaping and refinement. 

Spent better part of today learning how to operate a coal fire. And as suggested elsewhere here, I'll be changing the shape of my fire pot.  I'll slope the sides more. ;)

While learning how to keep the fire, I made a few things. Another set of tongs, a hoof pick, and a spoon to shovel flux with, also modified my clinker hook.  I would have burned up a whole lot more charcoal, doing what I did today with seemingly very little coal. And I have quite a bit of coke left on the table for next time. :D

Oh, and I really like my new anvil.  I think next project will be a hardy hole, and some hardies.

Dang those look good- even better with the edge contrast. 

I made some random stuff, testing the JABOD setup.

Not the prettiest, but great practice! My horses pupil is a little wonky haha

Lots of tooling improv. The nicer looking one I made in the Intro class at Steep Hollow.

20200126_155132.jpg

20200126_162839.jpg

20200126_163043.jpg

20200126_174657.jpg

20200126_175815.jpg

20200126_180709.jpg

Edited by CtG

Shoshinjoe, the garden tool is fantastic. I’ll have to put that on my ever growing list!

Hammerheart, those are pretty cool and even a little scary. Is  hatchet really the right term for those, and is there an intended use?

Keep it up!

David

On 1/26/2020 at 9:52 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

I forged a knife and shot a video about preforms and how and why they are important. ......

Hi Jennifer,

Loved the video, thanks very much. I'll definitely be trying this out.

You mention at the end of the video the blade was finished with filework (and pictured above, the seemingly finished blade with files).

Do you have any videos of this filing technique? Approximately how long did that take? Would you say its a reasonable alternative to a belt grinder since you're already forging so close to the final shape?

.... I want to make some kitchen knives but I cant afford a belt grinder yet!

thanks Jon,    filing is always so much slower..   a grinder is the only way to make money at this if production is the desired goal.   

I'm more of a 1700-1800 type of trade smith and a grinder won't work for a lot of the items.  And::: (All the videos well except the chisel videos) were filmed in a trailer..  And since I don't have a grinder in there and like to file, it's what I use..    (yes the blade in the last photo was filed..) Even with being so closely forged to get to here was about 45min to finish both sides of the blade.  A good belt grinder would bring this to about 15minutes to completely finish it. 

I still have maybe another 20min for the handle section and to clean up the lines before hardening. 

I don't have any videos on strictly filing.. But there a number of videos that take a person through the steps..   I'd suggest you go over to the youtube channel, there is one on the "Neck knife"https://youtu.be/ZsQ_2Kwe4uk, one on the :"colonial knife" https://youtu.be/TZU_Sl8oTew  the colonial knife goes from start to finish so that might be the best one to watch.  Oh, and the Wood chisel video just put out last week or so.  (part 2  chisel, filing and heat treatment https://youtu.be/-ftp5kJ-K8Q

If you want to file here are some suggestions:  Buy good files,  buy a good file card which is used to clean the files. Buy a box or 2 of chalk board chalk,( this is used to fill in the gullets of the file so they resist filling). A filled file tooth will lead to very deep scratches from galling..   Some acetone, rubber gloves and lint free rags. 

The acetone is to clean the files and the work piece if you do touch them.  (yes files get touched but try to limit touching the cutting surface)..  Alchohol works too.   but I keep acetone on hand for other purposes. (welding aluminum)..  If you wipe the work piece with your hand it will deposit oils onto the metal and make the file less effective and leads to plugging of the file.. 

DSW hand craft.. Nice mallet..