• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Les, I don't blame her. You do good work

Thanks CGL, I’m just starting, but I try to do my best on each project and then seek advice on what I messed up and how to correct it, then improve the next one. I’d still be beating and banging and making a mess, if I had managed to get my coal forge started, if it wasn’t for the wonderful members of IFI who give their time to help us and the members of my blacksmith club that do the same. You do wonderful work also, I’ve been seeing improvement in each item you post a picture of. 

CGL, good work deserves praise. 

Jennifer, I used a coal forge for all the work except the twists and used an A/O torch with #4 brazing head for that. I use the forge for short items I’m twisting, but these are 4ft long so I chucked them in the vise and put a support under them to keep them straight while twisting. Thanks for the compliment. 

Yes, throwing hawk. I was planning on keeping it as one of a group for me and the boys to throw, but yet again this one will be gifted. I need more time in the forge!

The handle is from Dunlap Woodcraft. I ordered some handles before the holidays and was very happy with them.

The handle is probably 4” too long it’s at 21”, but could bring myself to cut the beautiful wood. (Blade is 7” pole to edge and 3 1/4” wide.)

Thanks!

David

My new forge arrived in the mail today. It does like to send flames shooting out the sides and i was testing it in my dads garage and we didn't want to burn it down so we only tested it on low power. It got to a bright orange but the light saturation on my phone camera made it look blue. Heres some pics. Also before y'all ask the ceramic liner did come rigidized. 

download_20200131_213944.jpg

download_20200131_213949.jpg

download_20200131_213940.jpg

It is not going to be run inside. We were just testing it inside. And pnut it was literally the cheapest forge on amazon that had s 4 star review so i don't know who made it, its no Hells forge though. And i don't think it got refractory. It definitely doesn't have the consistency of concrete. Ill be using it outside if that changes anything.

You will need refectory coating. It’s not hard to do or expensive.  I recommend  Kast-O-Lite 30 li.  Soon as the wool reaches 1600f it changes to crystalbolite and releases a ton of tiny fibers that will cause major lung issues.  You can’t see them, and they will coat everything, you, your clothes, everything around the forge, then those fibers get taken in the house for every one else to breathe.   Not to mention the wool gets torn up easily and gets degraded by the flame.  About $30 will make it safe and last much longer.  Especially if you do any forge welds.  Molten flux will eat wool up like cotton candy in the rain

Dear Jasent,

Do you mean "chrysotile?"  If so, that is "white asbestos" and is the main problem with asbestos contamination.  It is BAD!  If people are manufacturing gas forges which when heated result in asbestos contamination I see BIG legal problems and liability.  Also, no one wants to have their shop decontaminated by professional asbestos mitigation companies. 

My mineralology books are packed away and I do not find a wiki entry for "crystalbolite."  But your description of what happens when heat is applied sounds a lot like chrysotile.  This is something that we cannot be too careful about.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Jhcc I love that bottle opener! I may have to play with that idea

I most likely have the spelling wrong.   I believe it is slightly different than asbestos but with the same out come.  The wool is not so dangerous until it’s heated to 1600f from my understanding.  That’s why only gloves and a dust mask are required when working with the wool.  And why it can be sold and shipped with out hazmat.