I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

So...i seen a bunch of spirals lately so i took some inspiration and tried my hand at it. Could be a tad more graceful but my spirals turned out nice and tight. So with out further adieu here is my candle holder.

20200118_183240.thumb.jpg.8e436d231dc16e40171a706d0fbae9a8.jpg

The spike could be a little smaller, the spirals are about the same size, optical illusion makes the bottom one look smaller. But it is functional. 

36" of 1/4 round bar. 

• Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

With a hammer. Just started like a pig tail, tightened it up on the side of the anvil. And then kept curling it over on itself. Hitting the bar from the opposite side towards myself. Flip and use the back side of the anvil to tighten. Best way i can describe it.  Took a lot longer than i expected, but it was my first attempt. I do the same in some of the brooches i make for the finials. Just made it bigger. 

OOOOOOOO... the Good, The Bad, and the Ugly is coming on. 

I visited littleblacksmith today, heck of a nice guy. 

Being a blue collar worker, I appreciate it when people have knowledge and experience (especially when beyond their years) and are willing to share. 

So, 2-fold today.

In my own garage, I dropped the floor on my JABOD MkIII to allow for the extra 1.5" below the tuyere for insulation. I also experimented briefly with the clay I separated from the muck behind work mixed with general-purpose sand. It is drying so I can see how well it holds. At that point I got a call from a local smith!

In lbs (Mark)'s shop, I got to have my first striking experience and swung a 12lb sledge like I haven't swung in 5 years! 

I asked him about a Brazeal-style hot-cut, and he put me to work making one! So awesome! I will be looking into setting aside funds for some classes, no doubt.20200118_174841.thumb.jpg.bdf5776d5f5a127e5821019f95676097.jpg

I learned several things today. I need better wood-focused drills. I am not too old to make mud-pies (without my kids no less!). I am not the most accurate person with a 12lb-er (but I improved, if I dare say). 

I also learned that I indeed am quite green. I have a lot to learn, but I'm enjoying the ride. 

20200118_185419.jpg

20200118_185324.jpg

Thanks Billy. That's the way I do it too. I was just curious after reading the other thread where spirals are being discussed. And I agree that's a great movie. Pale Rider is my favorite though.

CtG, what an awesome experience ýou had. If I were a bit closer, I'd try to get a class with Mark. Still might someday

2 hours ago, BillyBones said:

Generally if Clint is in it, i will watch it. My fav is "The Outlaw Josie Wales" though. Him and Mel Brooks never let me down. 

You should look into the author of "Gone to Texas" the book the movie was based on. Pretty interesting. Forrest Carter was the name he used for the first part of his life. 

Pnut

Got a few hours today in what seems like forever.  Made a couple fire pokers because I needed one for my fire pit- was playing around with twisting the tip since forge welding isn't something I'm able to do at this point in time.   Also made a couple bottle openers and hooks, though one isn't pictured since i gave it away. 

20200119_183355.jpg

20200119_183435.jpg

20200119_183415.jpg

This morning went to the scrap yard and steel yard to pick up some steel for a couple forges I’ll be making and selling at an upcoming blacksmithing event. Then headed to the forge after lunch and got some tongs done that will also be sold at the upcoming conference. Lot more to do. 

574A9A65-219E-4999-880F-01CD960526B5.jpeg

LBS. Nice work..  it's funny how your tongs and my tongs look like twins..    is it magic..  I think not..   

there is a reason why tongs take on this shape..   Anyhow, wonderful work. 

sorry if I sound like a jerk.. I am just stoked about the geometry of your tongs..   This overall ratio is what I found up to a certain size. 

these are chain makers tongs  but anyhow, it's just funny. 

20170307_153528.jpg

Finished up a few crosses and a hook today. The railroad spike was found by a friend of mine. In Northern Michigan, narrow gauge rails where used in the logging industry from the late 1800's until maybe into the 1910's. I believe the spike is wrought iron and was certainly hand made.

IMG_20200120_190234722.jpg