I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

7 hours ago, KingAether said:

Thanks for the tips and pictures of the drifts, if you only had one, to make bottle openers, what would you pick, diameter wise ?

About 25mm/1"  diameter works OK,  or you can slit at 30mm /1.25" and open up to the required diameter on the bick

• Replies 26.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Klatchianmist said:

Thanks, I'm looking for more things to make that are similar in difficulty to practice my technique. Any suggestions are welcome!

Try to make a simple pendant light, say a 3 light one. Your double hook-knot thingy gives you a starting point :)

Klatchianmist,

Along the same lines as your hook on the right, you might try a stake flipper. The roll up at the handle end. A short taper to start the roll up and a long taper for the business end. I'll get a picture up in a bit.

Dave

Here you go. It was the first project my mentor had me do.

Thanks again, Jim.

IMG_20200117_155625562.jpg

1 hour ago, Klatchianmist said:

I'm looking for more things to make

Not really different but repetition will develop muscle memory. Make 3 or 4 of the same hook, get a nice piece of lumber and purty it up. Attach the hooks and you got a coat rack. Gives a reason to do something more than once and it takes a while for all your friends and family to get tired of getting coat racks. 

Good video Jennifer. I can't imagine forging in front of more than 1 or 2 people, let alone fielding questions and carrying on conversation! Mostly just me mumbling and the occasional use of words that aren't so nice. 

Klatchianmist nice assortment of hooks. Keep up the good work. 

GFH, nice smooth looking work. Well done 

3 hours ago, CrazyGoatLady said:

Good video Jennifer. I can't imagine forging in front of more than 1 or 2 people, let alone fielding questions and carrying on conversation! 

Thanks..  I love demonstrating and teaching.  it was a ton of fun..   

45 minutes ago, Jasent said:

Looked like a great time Jennifer. Well done 

thanks it was fun.  More fun than i thought it was going to be. 

Thanks Les.

1 hour ago, Klatchianmist said:

I work 5 or 6 12 hour shifts a week

I hear ya, been there done that..got the pension........Just try to watch the IBA website and find something close and in yer off time. There were just 2 meetings near Monrovia recently. Great shop and good people...I had a good time at both of em'.             Dave