I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Well I ended up with 4 days off; but little time working in the shop.  I had a bad insulin crash Thursday Evening; luckily my wife was there and caught me and called the EMTs. Spent all day Friday in bed recovering from the convulsions. Saturday a friend of mine got a working party of kinfolk together and loaded all my new smithing stuff and got it to my shop with me doing very little work.  Sunday I forged a spring for one of my new postvises and Monday I did the same for the other one that needed one.  Monday I also started cleanup on the 6+" postvise I'm going to keep.  Someone had tack welded the wedges and mounting bracket together and the bracket was bent---used my screwpress to straighten it hot as it's a hefty piece of metal.

Back to work at my day job and still dragging; diabetes is a gift that keeps on giving!

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you made it through it. I don't know if you're a dog person or not but I had a neighbor who was having a very hard time with diabetes. He has a pump but still kept crashing and having seizures and ketoacidosis etc until he got a service dog that  alerts him when his blood sugar is getting too low or high.  If you'd like I can try to get in contact with them and PM you the details about the foundation he got the dog through. 

Pnut

Previously I've had so few issues my insurance wouldn't even cover a CGMS (Continuous Glucose Monitoring System.)  They may change their tune.  We're wondering if my pump is wonky.  Of course I am in the middle of changing all my Drs with my new job/insurance so I'll have to see what my new endocrinologist suggests. Meanwhile, a lot more finger tests! (And humility...)

My neighbor says the dog will alert him before the pump. I'm sure that for a lot of people the cost is prohibitive. I think they put the dogs through about a year of training which isn't cheap. I wish you the best of luck with your insurance and docs. They can be trying at times. I was recently told my liver isn't damaged enough yet to receive treatment that could keep me from having further liver damage. It made no sense to me whatsoever. It's like telling someone your house isn't burning enough for the fire department to come. Wait till the fire is bigger. 

Pnut

Selfishly, I hope you’re feeling better Thomas, I wouldn’t know what wrought iron looked like if it wasn’t for you, far less be able to wax lyrical on pre Bessemer process.  Hope you get the right help to get yourself back fighting fit again soon. You have a good knack for pointing people in the right direction and I have learned a lot from your posts on this forum. 

Glad your alright Thomas.

My dad is diabetic, dont run in the family his is from agent orange exposure in Vietnam, he takes quite good care of himself will be 71 this year. His is the type that he does not need insulin but has to monitor his sugar levels though.

Anyway all you diabetics take care of yourselves. Dont want no ringing of the anvils for any of ya. 

Workshop about 90 minutes away on Saturday to make tools for the CBA Education trailer. Got to strike and direct making bottom swage, and break in a nice old 8 pound sledge, recently found and re handled..  Then on Sunday the local scrap place had beer kegs again! After burning a hole in the bottom of the quench bucket, I've been looking for a small keg to use.  A pleasant hour with an angle grinder cut the top off. Local brewery that I have to try, they have a red ale that looks promising.

Loomis2020-1.jpg

LoomisSwage2.jpg

Quench.jpg

Clean Sledge.jpg

Thomas,

I just noticed this 'thread',   hence the delay.

I am glad that you are stabilized and on the mend, and back at the forge.

Hopefully your new medical crew and the transition period works for a better situation.

Regards,

SLAG.

Michael, sounds like a good time! 

That's funny I was just talking about weather. It's been more like spring all winter long with some days near 80 degrees sprinkled throughout. We aren't forecasted any winter weather either. It gets cold at night, then warms back up. So far, no frozen slack tub for me

Yuck. I moved south for many reasons, not freezing my tuckus off being one. Well, more like fingers. Cold big yellow iron tends to suck the heat right out of your digits. This morning was 36*F and 90% where I'm at this week.. plenty cold enough thank you.

Thomas, I'm glad you are on the mend. You are certainly an appreciated asset here.

I'm not diabetic however I fight hypoglycemia at times- the joyous kind that eating makes temporarily worse if let go out of sorts... I remember (very fuzzily mind) right before we found out my HS nurse checked my sugars on a whim and I was at 40. Don't remember much else of the day. Thankfully I haven't dipped below 60 in about 8 years. 

Away from home for a week, so no "shop" projects have transpired just yet

Well, what did I do in the shop today?...........I've been working for the past 2 weeks, on and off, on my first forged knife.  I'm finally down to the handle.  It's been a real "journey".    Seems I always try and do things that are considered too difficult to start with.   I like the challenge, I guess.  Hope to have it finished by Friday.  I'll post pics in the Knife forum when I get some taken.