• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

N.p. Had to find it to see the thing. He sure has anvils on the mind! Lol. Cool build.

I was digging through my salvaged LED collection and found a couple that work great in the trailer. 

First one was out of some fancy car fog light. Originally they were set in plastic in a slanted ladder pattern with the individual diffusers. I had freed them from the plastic and figured they would work fine screwed to a board. Since it should stay fairly dry it should be fine in the trailer ceiling  

The second is a dimmer led strip that was built onto a running board. It makes a good less aggressive light if I just want to light up the back end of the inside and is out of the way of anything. 

when I get my battery set up I'll wire them to switches on the inside wall. I might wire the dim one to a switch activated by the door opening. There is a perfect spot for one. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

16 hours ago, Hans Richter said:

Thanks for the tip Frosty, next time you clean you solid fuel forge please take some pictures. I dont know exactly where to place. Usualy I get rith of the ember nests though the ash gate. Must be the bad antracite from the DIY-shop.

I think I got the idea from Glenn, I think he has pics of his up. It's just bare bone simple. 3/8" - 1/2" rnd steel bar, long enough to cover the width of the tuyere opening. Spacers to separate them and enough pieces to be wider than the tuyere opening and welded together. 

Think of it like a comb over the air supply opening. Cleaning is easy, poke the end of the fire rake into a gap and slide along it and that space is clear. 

I'll see if the last one is even still on the forge. They're so simple to make I don't even think about it unless it's missing or I'm talking about it. Last time I used my coal forge was last July and we just tossed everything back in the pickup. 

Heck they're really easy to make I'll make one if I can't find the last one. 

Frosty The Lucky.

The brake drum grate is 2 each 3/8 inch bolts across the hole. The 3 inch openings get 2 each 3/8 or 1/2 inch bolts, or round bar. 

forge 2

The 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inch exhaust pipe in the original 55 Forge is 2 each 1/4 inch pieces of round stock.

forge 3

Same method of exhaust pipe and 1/4 inch rods was used with a brake rotor. You can see how the ash fills in and makes a funnel shape. The brick were added to make the fire deeper for a specific project.

forge 4

I have just finished testing a 2 inch opening with NO grate using coal dust. Started the fire with a couple of sheets of paper, some wood scraps, and then some coal dust. Once it coked up, more coal dust and then started forging. Some small amount did go down the opening but not enough to make a difference. This test was bituminous coal, with coal dust and NO grate. A grate of some fashion would be suggested.

Tried out my new demo forge other then the blower I plan to use that needs wired yet. Made a ball stake from a tortion bar for in the demo anvil. Tested out the bigger spring fuller and got a little over excited with it. As far as the ball stake: fit to length, upset the end part pretty well stoping to keep it round and even. Once upset to shape form the hardy hole end.   Then start hammering in a circle making sure to go from top down around the edges. Stop once in a while to hammer the sharp edge on the outside into the meat of it and also tilt to drive the underneith in to prevent mushrooming, thenback to the top. Do that till you get a good uniform ball half or quarter. Done right it doesn't take much grinding. I also use a DA sander to clean up then with these I have been heating non magnetic then quenching the ball section in water slowly then some quick full dunks then wait and ball area again. ( yeah totally hokey) once almost fully cool dunk the whole thing to cool. That's working for me. I recommend better methods lol. 

So far with some cold hits on the ball stake ( this one stands just over 4-1/2" tall and under 2" wire at the top) and on trying out the demo forge both are great. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

From left over cut chrome/molybdenum mineral crusher thee, to rough forged square blank to ‘pseudo Japanese’ ballpeen hammer. Added a self-made handle of quarter sawn beech and finished the whole tool with double boiled linseed oil;). Will use the hammer to hammer out leafs and rose buttons. The tool will also be one of the example to the future workshop students to forge their own equipment.

DSC00369.JPG

On 4/8/2018 at 8:09 AM, Jim Coke said:

Greetings Das,

Be carful building your demo trailer . I started simple and ended up with a solar powered unit with TV, sleeping area, hot and cold water, micro, sit down shower, portal potty etc, etc,

That is awesome! I have been looking at home built campers out of cargo trailers so I can hall motorcycles and sleep in them. It seems really hard to find info on camper windows, doors and pluming supplies. Could you send me some info on where you got your stuff and how you did it? 

I really like the looks of that!

thanks

Dan