• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ausfire: , toes, kitty tails, doggy tails.. extension cords, Christmas lights,  hardwood or soft wood floors.. 

Makes me wonder if someone has had a lot of rockers stolen or destroyed by family on game nights..  this will cure both..

Ranchmanbeb nice work.. all things said in jest.. i am curous about the rockers, the contact patch for a rocking chair is suppose to be pretty thin on the runners..  wood bolted to the metal?

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

This is a pretty ambitious piece and it's looking darned good. How much do you think it's going to weigh?

Frosty The Lucky.

This is certainly the most ambitious forging project I’ve taken on but I’m entered in a contest so I want to win. I’m hoping it’ll be around 100lbs but it’s probably going to be heavier. 

7 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

looking a bit Charles Rennie Mackintosh-ish to me.

I’ll have to look that one up. It’s inspired by a chair forged by Tim Cicineros. 

3 hours ago, ausfire said:

Great work on the most robust of rocking chairs!

Thank you Sir

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Ranchmanbeb nice work.. all things said in jest.. i am curous about the rockers, the contact patch for a rocking chair is suppose to be pretty thin on the runners..  wood bolted to the metal?

The contact area of the rockers is one place I’m hung up. Part of me wants to just make them all metal and use it only on carpet. The other part wants to make it more versatile and and usable on multiple surfaces. I was thinking about attaching a strip of harness leather. 

12 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

It’s inspired by a chair forged by Tim Cicineros. 

I was thinking Sam Maloof. 

A5829431-CE56-4C14-936B-138AE17B0686.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

The contact area of the rockers is one place I’m hung up. Part of me wants to just make them all metal and use it only on carpet. The other part wants to make it more versatile and and usable on multiple surfaces. I was thinking about attaching a strip of harness leather. 

Harness leather will eventually (and inevitably) compress, stiffen, crack, and break. 

What if you were to make the rockers out of angle iron, with the horizontal leg on the inside? That would distribute the weight over a wider area, and if you take some care over grinding the underside smooth and rounding the bottom edges, you won’t have to worry about it scratching the floor. 

I’ll be mighty pleased if mine turns out a quarter as pretty as a Maloof chair. 

I’m pretty sure any metal, even highly polished would eventually start tearing up a wood floor from dust getting ground into it. I don’t want to use it but I think some sort of hard rubber belting riveted on would be best

Ben, if you could find some nylon plastic strips for the bottom of the rockers they would flex enough to conform to the curve and be able to be shaped to fit neatly and drilled to counter sink screws into the metal. I think that would make for a nice safer durable liner. 

1 hour ago, Ranchmanben said:

I’ll be mighty pleased if mine turns out a quarter as pretty as a Maloof chair.

Maybe some wood strips on the bottom of the rockers, countersunk and riveted. you could also do wood strips on the armrests as accents to tie in with the rockers.

Put wheels on the rockers, that way Granny can rock and roll.

Wear resistant plastic, like they use as power hammer guides, could be glued to the rockers and then be replaced as needed.  If anything gets between the rockers and the floor, dust, dirt, debris, etc. will in time abrade the floor due to the motion of the rocker. Maybe glue on some strips of indoor/outdoor carpeting? 

Grit will embed into the softer material (wood, leather, plastic, etc) and work like a lap. A hard surface won't allow that to happen. When lapping bores the lap has to be softer than the material being lapped to size, otherwise the lap gets lapped instead.  To avoid wear on a wood floor I would make the runners wide to spread the weight out, and give the edges a good radius. Wide runners would also allow it to be used outside on the grass or dirt. 2"-3" wide would probably do it.  The toughest part may be getting them to be lay flat at all points.

2 hours ago, Daswulf said:

if you could find some nylon plastic strips for the bottom of the rockers they would flex enough to conform to the curve and be able to be shaped to fit ...

High density polyethylene strips may work better and last longer than nylon. But where do we get that material?

A search may be worth the time involved.

Just ruminating.

SLAG.

SLAG, many different products come up with a quick google search of "nylon plastic strips" I'm sure a through search would yield a good product for the job. 

I do like the wood idea mentioned by monkey as well. 

I think in the end tho, I'd make it what it is and let the user purchaser deal with how they intend to use it with maybe just suggesting using it with a rug or carpet under it if they have hardwood floors. To an extent you just can't worry about fingers and tails getting under it in use otherwise we are getting into the rubber room mentality again and just shouldn't make such dangerous things. Just don't make the rocker sharp like a blade :rolleyes:

I’m liking the idea the idea of wider rockers, with or without some sort of padding. Part of me think that if someone puts it on a wood floor with out a rug then they deserve what they get. The danger of toes, tails or other things getting mashed isn’t my concern. Those are the dangers of any rocking chair. We’ll see how it goes and how much motivation to do extra work I’ve got when I get to the rockers. 

23 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

I’m liking the idea the idea of wider rockers,

Oh great! Now you have me thinking about the two metal wagon wheels I have out side. Cut one in half, open it up a little and done. 

You can buy UHMW strips and runner bolts. Dog sleds in Alaska haven't run on wood or whale baleen contact surfaces since the early mid '70s. The plastic, used to be called "P Tex" but there are other makers now. Anyway, it doesn't pick up sand or gravel, when it is pressed into the plastic, the plastic gives then rebounds popping it back out. Dog sleds with gravel embedded in the runners would be too hard to pull, even on snow let alone ice.

Anyway, the product for exactly what you need is available. Maybe check dog sled supplies, I have an acquaintance who's a racer and sells supplies, he'll know. I'll get back with product name and company.

Frosty The Lucky.

5 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Oh great! Now you have me thinking about the two metal wagon wheels I have out side. Cut one in half, open it up a little and done. 

You and I are on the same page with the wagon rims!

Thanks Frosty. Sounds like an ideal material. Suppose it comes in a dark grey?