• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a fan for reverse wheel work..   Steam bent rock maple outer runners held on with tire lock bolts, or a nicely laid tiger maple with a lighter colored stain or natural.. with just some poly on it..  

Ive never liked the way a mushy rocker feels. (soft contact patch)..   Looking forward to the progress..  Personally I feel items like this should have their own thread..  Documentation of methods and results could be helpful for others. 

14 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

You and I are on the same page with the wagon rims!

Thanks Frosty. Sounds like an ideal material. Suppose it comes in a dark grey?

Frosty's suggestion of UHMW is a pretty good one. I've used it in industrial applications in different types of plants from magnetic powder production to MDF plants. 

Even in the plant that made magnet powder, it worked well as slide wear pads without loading up on material. That was a very dirty atmosphere and the dust that got into everything was quite abrasive and would rust most anything.

It's in the same family of plastics as the commercial cutting boards you see, but it is more abrasion resistant and more flexible. It's often used for rock crawler skid plates as well, so it should last a pretty long time on a rocker. I haven't priced it myself, but I have seen it mentioned that the black is generally cheaper than the white as it has some recycled materials in it. Again, I don't know for sure, I've just seen it mentioned.

Thank you, Guys!

Ben, you gave me some ideas with your chair - growing into something completely different, but thank you for the inspiration!

Oh, yeah, and I'm still cookin' wax... it's been 3 days now. I have a very very patient wife. Our kitchen is a bee's armageddon.

Bests:

Gergely

Started an interesting project today. A tobacco plug cutter. It will end up functioning like those old guillotine paper cutters.

Some day I'll learn how to use a hammer properly so I don't get so many heavy hit marks......:unsure:

DSC_0642.thumb.JPG.1a10586ae7accff334ebce2c893ba319.JPG

5 hours ago, Gergely said:

A good friend's 60th birthday tomorrow. Gotta make him something, and it looks like I have no imagination :) So I made him this.

Bests:

Gergely

That looks very nice!!! Do you want to know when my birthday is? :lol:

Converted my first pair of twist tongs (which were never great for their intended purpose) into a pair of tempering tongs by welding 3” long pieces of 1-1/4” round onto the jaws and lengthening the reins with some 3/8” round. 

A1C30B5B-D281-46A4-A10D-22D5FF514125.jpeg

Also thinned down the chunky bits on the handle of my rounding hammer (as previously discussed) to reduce the risk of breaking it again. 

FBBF5597-68AF-4672-A60F-1443B135A6A7.jpeg

(As before, the edge of the handle towards the round face is more rounded than the edge towards the flat, making it easier to tell by feel which face I’m hitting with, rather than having to look.)