• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both of them are coil spring. ( well one isn't done yet.) I just flattened a section where it curves.  The base is just some mystery square stock that was close to the hardy size so a little hammering to fit and I loped them off and first welded a large washer to the top then the spring. I made one long ago that I didn't use a washer and don't like the performance as much as with a bit of base to it. 

I will use these as forged, no hardening.

Combining techniques from THIS VIDEO from @jlpservicesinc, THIS ONE from Chris Madrid and Craig Trnka, and the universal tong designs of the late greats Junior Strasil and Grant Sarver (see HERE and HERE), I made my first pair of universal tongs.

2BD914C4-17D9-4A63-8809-9F8A245203D3.jpeg

9DD02688-90CD-4C46-9888-2E380E0FF340.jpeg

DDED56DE-F1F4-4B3F-8B47-D5C4618EF708.jpeg

56036B98-C0BF-4410-BE28-0A462810115D.jpeg

0B0970F6-E2FE-48D4-B53D-258E4F81839F.jpeg

0DD31E5F-000D-4C9E-956C-0897965CDEFD.jpeg

Still need to tweak the reins a bit, but I love this method of tong making. Definitely not regretting investing in a 20' stick of 3/8" x 1" flat bar!

Well, I haven't actually used them yet for forging, so it's hard to know! I will say that I am very happy with how well the splitting of the reins and punching of the rivet hole went. I really need to make a proper rivet header, though.

One other little detail that was kind of cool was the use I made a big pin of some kind (one that I'd picked up beside the road) with a 3/8" slot in the end that was just the right size to hold the V-jaw for splitting. Here it is clamped to my anvil with the bottom end on the upsetting block:

6DE0FA47-E2B1-45D9-8C31-6981C9BC4B14.jpeg

This was a pretty wobbly setup, so I'm going to cut off the top couple of inches and mount them on a hardy stem (the locking loop kind) for more stability.

Ooh, that tortion bar end in the pile would make a great ball stake for in the hardy hole. Upset the fatter end a good bit then square the other end to fit the hardy hole then you can heat and beat the big end into a half ball with it set into the hardy hole. Easy peasy and fun to make. :D 

Eh, I'm just eying your resources and getting ideas. 

Revived this old auction find weather vain.  Heat and beat some twisting and flattening a little bit of welding then slapped on some paint. Just need to drag the 28' ladder out to the end of the shop to measure for a mounting bracket

IMG_20180404_174404251.jpg

JHCC; would you do me the favour of rolling up a newspaper tightly---the Sunday NY Times will do nicely---and striking yourself stoutly about the head and shoulders with it?

You mounted it on the smithy  like you were mounting it on a yacht...

(did you mean Carly RT?)

Debi made herself a pair of offset knife making tongs. While not in the shop, yesterday I had to replace the shutoff valve on our 110 gal pig tank so she could use the propane forge. It took me three days to burn off the propane with a weed burner, that was in it then had it refilled along with our 500 gal tank.

100_1945.thumb.JPG.ff34c32e2f7cbdedf7b21898b39d1a09.JPG

100_1944.thumb.JPG.8603771c8a060414af66e3b872e1e504.JPG

Finished up the second half inch spring fuller. Think I got the design better on this one to the one I like. Hey, they can always be tweaked in the forge. :) 

little worse on the weld since I ran out of .035 wire and changed it to .030 and too darned lazy to change the settings. Haven't used .030 yet in this welder so I'll be getting that dialed in, then deciding which works better for the majority of what I do. 

First 10lbs of wire through the new welder. Woo. I really like it. 

In the theme of working on hardy tools for my demo anvil, I made a "spreader". It's basically a tall hot cut that I use to separate and start the spread things that were chisel or saw cut. It's handy to stand off the anvil further for things like nail heart hooks and even with smaller things to see what your doing. It's not meant to cut, just wedge in between cut sections and separate and also with chiseled cuts can clean up the center or side a but by driving it on a bit. 

I plan to do some forks, nail heart hooks and things demo wise so it'll be handy. 

Stands about 8.5" off the anvil. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Reeltree said:

That had to hurt the ol' pocket book

Not too bad. Took 236.9 gal of propane $402.49 in both tanks and $19.90 for the new valve. While at it the propane delivery guy threw in new gaskets for the fill connector and a new over flow valve for free.

18 hours ago, JHCC said:

Combining techniques from THIS VIDEO from jlpservicesinc THIS ONE from Chris Madrid and Craig Trnka, and the universal tong designs of the late greats Junior Strasil and Grant Sarver (see HERE and HERE), I made my first pair of universal tongs.

Still need to tweak the reins a bit, but I love this method of tong making. Definitely not regretting investing in a 20' stick of 3/8" x 1" flat bar!

Yep! I’m going to make a pair of those! How universal are they and still comfortable to use? What’s the COMFORTABLE size range for that set?