I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

A7C2F979-C28A-47A4-A654-68CD89950303.jpeg

9 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

How universal are they and still comfortable to use? What’s the COMFORTABLE size range for that set?

Well, semi-universal. Comfortably, they hold 1/4” up to about 5/8”.

One great thing about them is how securely they hold tapered stock:

17E80587-AAEC-434F-ACE2-2B958B4091F5.jpeg

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Made two more longhorn bull business card holders. I'll keep the burnished one to hold the cards at demos and the other one will go into the shop.  The original stock was a 400mm tyre lever. Easier to forge a head on each end and cut later rather than using two short pieces.

bull cards2.JPG

14 hours ago, Daswulf said:
16 hours ago, JHCC said:

Ooh, me likey. I've got a bunch of jackhammer bits that I've been wondering what to do with, and that will be perfect for one of them.

One would be perfect. 

And it was!

5BEFE473-C927-4BC2-B1AE-6A7B84C68878.jpeg

Das: it’s got enough width that I may put a sharper bevel on one half and leave it blunt on the other. Best of both worlds. As for the torsion bar, it’s not moved: there’s just other stuff on top of it!

Stitch: here are a wide hot chisel and a wide slot punch I made from a couple of the ones you gave me:

68E7DB2A-9B4C-4FD7-9786-9FC6EA440145.jpeg

(2” wide x 9-1/2” long)

Been wanting to make a scrolling jig using sockets as one of the forks. Made a version tonight. It uses a piece of 1/4" angle iron for the vise to bite. A piece of 3/8"x 1" mild steel, the 1/2" socket connecting end from an extension, and a piece of 1/2" mild round bar. 

Unfortunately I was too lazy to drag my drill press out ( or dig it out) so my holes are a little crooked but it should still work. 

This is a small array of socket sizes from basically 15mm- 27mm. And I have larger axle but sockets to try with it too. 4 distances to set the 1/2" rod into. The other idea was to make it slide and lock. This should work till I can dig around the scrap piles more. This was a quick attempt. The 1/2" extension end is press fit into the jig and an access hole through the angle iron to hammer/ press it out if it wears out and needs changed. If I find it didn't need that it could be welded still. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks interesting, Das. Let us know how it works!

In other news, I added another garage door spring to the treadle hammer. Takes a little bit more stomp to get it moving, but the head swings higher up and out of the way now, creating more space for swinging a hand hammer. 

Thanks. This is version 1. I'm sure I'll make a sliding/ locking version with infinite post possibilities. But this one will sure work for now. Honestly I could even have drilled more post spaces closer together if I was better at layout.