Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Daswulf

• Frosty

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

wow, Nice job..  that is a tough technique to use on that narrow of material.. 

Thank you it was a lot of fun and a real learning experience. I wish I had got my initial cut a bit more even.

And thanks again for the videos wouldnt have known where to even start without it.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:02 PM, Daswulf said:

That's a beast John.

Thanks, Das. Unfortunately, it's got a slow leak where the air pipe meets the face plate, right in the only spot that I can't reach with the welder. I've made the hard decision to cut off the face plate, make a new one with a better connection, and weld that on. More work, but probably worth it.

33 minutes ago, JHCC said:

Thanks, Das. Unfortunately, it's got a slow leak where the air pipe meets the face plate, right in the only spot that I can't reach with the welder. I've made the hard decision to cut off the face plate, make a new one with a better connection, and weld that on. More work, but probably worth it.

How about brazing the leak? It isn't going to get hot enough to break the braze unless you REALLY screwed up something.

Frosty The Lucky.

Three reasons:

1. I really want it to be right, not just "good enough".
  2. I already tried welding over the leak from the outside, and the only result was to reduce the size of the air outlet. I don't think brazing will be any better.
  3. I don't have a torch.

Frankly, cutting it off and fitting and welding a new faceplate is the right way to go. If I do it right, I'll get something that not only doesn't leak, but also has the proper air pipe diameter. I knew the way to do it right the first time, I cut corners, and now I'm paying the price. Ideo firmiter propono de cetero me non peccaturum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum.

I'm not talking about welding the leak I'm talking about brazing it. An acid wash to clean out the scale and contaminants from failed welds or carried in by leaks then paste brazing solder and BRAZE hard solder. The paste flux will flow into the gaps via capillarity as you preheat it as will the brazing rod.  A good silver solder will do the trick, you aren't getting the bosh red hot in use, the water will keep it well below hard soldering temp. 

The try will be far cheaper in time and materials than rebuilding the whole thing.

Frosty The Lucky.

Stick or mig welding unless you have a bunch of practice it's pretty hard to get a good water tight seal without a lot of testing, grinding and rewelding.. TIG welding is the only way to get a consistently sealed water/air tight seal.. 

If the hole is small enough using a Bar's leak head gasket sealant can be the answer if you can pressurize it..  

Here’s what I should have done the first time. This is the connection between the arm of the treadle hammer and its head, nice and watertight to prevent leaks from the melted lead pour. 

9C47F19D-4B2F-404C-9D6F-742D6593C538.jpeg

The pipe pierces the wall of the tube and is fillet welded on both sides. 

1 hour ago, jlpservicesinc said:

it's pretty hard to get a good water tight seal without a lot of testing, grinding and rewelding..

And that’s how I get better at all three!

18 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Very nice indeed.  It will look even greater when it's decorated for Christmas!

Did you do the wiring?

Yes I did. I used 18 guage wire as I'm using LED bulbs and only have .8 amps / 103 watts. Had it lighted for 5 days straight and checked for heat damage, so far so good.

11 hours ago, ausfire said:

Beautiful work on the chandelier, Dave. Clever how you have concealed the wiring. Nice finish, too. Oiled? Waxed? Rustoleum?

Oiled (cooking oil from Sam's club) then finished with a Krylon satin finish clear coat. Had to buy a propane rose bud torch and a cheap mop... Made a massive mess but got some bronze, brown, red, and blacks. 

Oil And clear coat!? 

Not really a good combination. You want the piece as clean as possible of dirt, oils, grease, and anything really before using any paint, clear oar included. Otherwise the paint will not adhere correctly and eventually peel off. 

I soaked it in my pond after applying the oil, dried it, then hit it with degreaser. Kept wiping til there was no residue left then applied the clear coat. The color remained and the residue was gone so I'm hoping it holds up. I had to manhandle it to hang it and definitely smacked it with plies and wire strippers quite a few times and didn't loose the finish so it should be okay. If not, I know someone who can take it down and try it again :)