I Forge Iron

What did you do in the shop today?

Being as how you are using your vise already, take a couple of pieces of angle iron and insert a piece of 1/2 square bar into each one. Weld it in place.

When you put it in the vise you can put 1/2 inch drive sockets over the sq bar for a large variety of size bending dies. Move the two pieces of angle iron in the vise jaws to adjust the distance between the dies, and clamp or close the vise.

JHCC had a photo of his on the site a year or so back.

There are many ways to make a serviceable bender. Just needs to be convenient to how you work.

• Replies 26.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JHCC

• ThomasPowers

• Frosty

• Daswulf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is really cool Das! I will make one for dedicated radius bends for sure!

I made the sliding angle iron style one for bending various thickness of steel a couple years ago using

bender dies from a Grizzly Bender. Works great! I bought the roll dies cheaper than my brother could have bought the stock and machined them for me! 

I didn't have a picture handy of the set up but here is a sketch and part numbers and prices:

DWG.jpg

GRIZZLY BENDER DIES.jpg

Yes, using sockets for bending dies has been around for decades in the craft. I even have a socket drive attachment for my brace (as in brace and bit) with the square taper "acorn"  on it just like old auger bits have .  Very handy for driving lag bolts and even won me a John Henry bet with a friend with a battery powered  driver.   Good ideas get copied, tweaked or even reinvented on a regular basis and blacksmiths tend to be inventive people used to taking stuff and making it into other stuff---and making it into the tools to make other stuff too!

Thanks for the sketch Stitch. Looks easy enough. I'll probably stick with the sockets for smaller stuff tho since I have them and they can play double duty if I go on the road with the kit. 

Thomas, I'm still behind on all the great ideas I have seen for tooling. Like a guillotine tool. I have enough leaf spring for the different dies and backup for replacements. That's one I could be using now. Other great ideas I'll get to on an as needed basis. With cutters, a welder and a bunch of scrap metal, I'm only limited on time. :rolleyes:

Got a nasty ember nest in the air/ash camber of the solid forge during forging some ball peen hammers:(. Ruin the nozzle regulator and linkage. Made a new linkage and butter up the nozzle with cast iron stick welding. Happy to fix it instead to spend 500 bucks for a new hearth sole.

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00364.JPG

DSC00365.JPG

DSC00366.JPG

DSC00362.JPG

So I didn't do anything in the shop today. But I did manage to get my first commission which I am really happy about.

It isn't a big one. It is 4 horeshoe hearts, and a standing horshoe center piece and should be really good. :D:D:D

Nice job Ben. Big brother and little brother. It'll be glad to get some use. 

So far I had a rough time getting the trailer up into the shop due to the wet ground and mud and the shop is uphill. 

Got the inside painted and got some tiedowns bolted in the roll out floor. Now to work on some other ideas and brainstorm more for a versatile blacksmith demo/ auction/ fleamarket/ camping.... Everything trailer. 

Good save Hans! Burning up the fire pot is the sort of thing that can ruin your whole day. :(

Is there a way to install a sacrificial air grate so if it happens again you can just toss the burnt piece?

The air grate in my coal forge is just a simple bar grate made of 1/2" rnd. stock tack welded about 3/8" apart. Not counting the 5 minute's labor to cut and weld there can't be $0.10 worth of steel in one.

Frosty The Lucky.

56 minutes ago, Ranchmanben said:

Are the walls of that trailer rigid enough enough for a fold down bench/bed?

Probably not but maybe on the side beams that the boards screw into. 

Just installed a bit of pegboard. On the one "joist" I screwed it into I had to drill and it seems very sturdy 

image.jpg

Das, If you turn the base of the vise one way (E-W) and the base of the anvil the other way (W-E), they may nest a bit closer to each other. Once nested, tie them together so they do not more or shift in transit.

Das, with a single axle trailer you really need to watch load distribution to maintain some tongue weight. Not enough and it will get squirrely really fast. I try to maintain at least 200# on the tongue at all times - going up steep hills can reduce it.  Looking good.

I like that idea Glenn  Thanks. I'll give it a shot. It's all about trying and seeing what works best. Just like the first couple times demoing will be about knowing what I need and what I don't and what I forgot and all the stuff I didn't need to bring lol. 

Thanks BigGun. I'm sure I'll eventually find the happy medium with the weight distribution. The wheels are set back on the trailer. I planned on keeping most of the weight just in front of an on the wheels. 

1 hour ago, Ranchmanben said:

Worked on a place to sit and rock out. 

Looks cool but I'm unfamiliar, what is it?

Rocking chair back?

Das Before you go to the demo, pre-cut as much stock as you can. Use multiples of the 20 foot original stock, that is to say 4 each 5 foot sections, 5 each 4 foot sections, 10 each 2 foot sections, etc. A 2 foot section can be reduced on site to 2 each 1 foot sections, but if you are using a 1 foot section for a project, cut them at home. 

You can for instance pre-cut the double length of an S hook, forge the pig tail and loop on each end and then cut it in half. As the inventory builds, you can then just cut it in half and make one pig tail and loop and produce an S hook in half the time. Cut the S hook in half and make 2 drive hooks or beam hooks by just making a point on the cut end.

Redesign the project to use these lengths. Package (bundle) each length separately so you can just grab the correct length and go.

At the demo they know what cutting metal looks like after the second cut. No use wasting their time, they want to see you actually make something that they can buy.

Thanks for the good advice. I like it. I do plan to do any lengthy prep at home. Like if I plan to make split crosses I plan to band saw the blanks at home and have them ready to just bend open. I like the idea of working each end of a length for two s hooks. Good idea. 

I still have some time to prepare so no hurry really other then a bit of downtime when the baby comes soon. Just trying to get as much going on the time I still have now. Baby is coming, summer is coming and I'm scrambling to do a whole lot lol. It's all working out just fine so far. Things are coming together and it feels right. 

5 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

place to sit and rock out

I hope this has to be the future back rest and not the part to sit on :wacko:

7 hours ago, Frosty said:

install a sacrificial air grate

Thanks for the tip Frosty, next time you clean you solid fuel forge please take some pictures. I dont know exactly where to place. Usualy I get rith of the ember nests though the ash gate. Must be the bad antracite from the DIY-shop.

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

The 3 main things

Das, envy you about this nice mobile work shop and the trailer. Just bussy to make or collect them on the right sizes. In my case not so much to make a living but more to join social projects. 

Greetings Das,

Be carful building your demo trailer . I started simple and ended up with a solar powered unit with TV, sleeping area, hot and cold water, micro, sit down shower, portal potty etc, etc, I have used it for demos for the past three years and it works super. I started with a 6x12 plain trailer than went over the top crazy . I transport most of my gear in the trailer but some of the real dirty stuff ends up in the pick-up.. Have fun with your build I sure did. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

F779AC48-817A-4669-A2AC-BDADA4E476D4.jpeg

9158587D-21C9-4915-A4DB-1EC752E3E662.jpeg

307A7009-59A4-4A7A-841B-653637A7BE51.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jim Coke said:

Be carful building your demo trailer

Where's the air conditioner? :) 

That is a nice little trailer, I bet you save a bunch on not needing a hotel room. It reminds me of the tiny houses.

I do plan to add a solar panel battery charger. One idea to use this trailer for is my auction goings so I'll be needing the extra room.