I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Toby,

Who is the YOUR FORGE comment aimed at? there are 883 replies to this thread, to which one were you referring? FYI the OP is about anvils.  I do not see any photo of any forge there.

Have you seen a side blast forge before?

What is an air out take? do you mean the tyure ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • This was my first anvil. I made it in 1996 after I got my forge working. Used it for about 5 years. Took 3 days of fitting, heating in a wood stove, welding and shaping with a cutting torch. Then another day of grinding. It's 2 pieces of railway track, one up-side down to give a larger work surface. Usually sits on a post of 2X8's 
  • Second anvil I paid $100 for. 85# farriers anvil. No markings
  • Third anvil, traded ferriers anvil for it. Only legible marking is "300" on the side. Has other markings but cannot make out what they are. Weights 300#. A buddy wanted an anvil he could move in his shop. He doesn't do any kind of blacksmithing.
  • Current stand is a sand box

post-44323-0-10886800-1390492381_thumb.j

post-44323-0-30412500-1390492644_thumb.j

post-44323-0-51939400-1390492761_thumb.j

Yup those deals are out there.  My 410# Trenton was a trade with a fellow who didn'rt do any smithing but wanted an anvil "just in case he decided to"  and was tired of moving the 410# around as he moved a lot.  So I traded him a 125# PW a screw and screwbox for a postvise that I had to hand----(destroyed vise untouched screw/screwbox???) and US$100 as "boot"  Had it for about $1.50 a pound in the deal.  (And then I ended up moving it 1500 miles...)

I was told this is probably a 1700's model
'>

I'm afraid the damage is done. I started on the horn before I found this wonderful site and its wealth of knowledge. if I could kick my own butt. it seems the more I learn the less I know.
'>

Bad form, Haz. Bad form :( The problem of using photo host links is you have to keep the photo there forever. Move it and we can't see it anymore. Uploaded from gallery or your PC and a copy is kept on the site forever. No maintenance required on your part :)

ecclectic iron, reversing one chunk of rail, that is shear genius! If you had 3 short sections, you could make a double pike anvil, with mounting holes fore and aft. A little shoring on the main table and Viola'!

Dang, now I have something to add to the notebook thread. As if I don't have enough projects on my bucket list.

My  Peter Wright 305 Pounder. It was ordered for the Tilly cane farm late 1900 and arrived at the port of Cairns , Australia , in 1901 . It remanded with the farm until the farm was sold up for residential development . At that point it became MINE ! .

post-40976-0-51308700-1390734595_thumb.j

post-40976-0-33110700-1390734893_thumb.j

Zom, I've never seen an anvil that had the face curved into the cutting table like yours.  Looks like a factory job, too.

All said, $3/lb, plus the trip... well, a new anvil would cost at least $5/lb so it safe to say you got a very good deal.  That anvil looks like it's never been worked on.  To have been forged in 1894 and still look that good is absolutely amazing.

Zom, are you sure that is a Hay Budden?  All of the HBs that I have seen including my 190# say they were Manufactured Brooklyn NY on the bottom line.  Course I could easily be wrong.

haybudden.jpg

In the photo you can clearly make out most of the name Hay Budden Manufacturing and most of "Brooklyn", so I suppose that cinches it as being a Hay Budden.

After all these beautiful Hay-Buddens, Peter Wrights, Fishers' etc. here is my little companion.

A little different in his looks, as is an old fashioned German/Austrian design. Weights 114 pounds (52 kg), hardie hole is 2 cm wide.

Made in Hungary, possibly prior WW2 as RIMA brand name - as available sources claim - was used from 1883 to 1949 when the collectivisation struck the factory. 

It shows the marks of being cast although bearing ball bounces quite high back on it. Its face is very untouched except the edges which were almost everywhere chipped - I think - during the cold-metal hitting by previous owners. (You can see the chalk marks on the pictures, I made those to learn where are the usable edge parts.) The bick is totally unused.

Covered with thin rust, it needs a good cleaning but I have been too excited to have this and work on it, so it has remained a "must-do-sometimes" call. Also the change of the plastic box under it - which was a desperate choice to stabilize the stump. So is that hook-thing stopping its circular moves during bigger work.

post-48601-0-42787700-1391695491_thumb.j post-48601-0-71496800-1391695543_thumb.j post-48601-0-75306100-1391695562_thumb.j

I like it very much, and so do my wrist - it stopped being in pain right after I started hit on this anvil. (hehe, I'm not sure this means what I meant.)

Greetings

Gergely

PS: On the 3rd pic on the floor you can see the ASO I used alongside of a railroad piece.

Beautiful anvil, Gergely!  I really like those older styles with the stepped feet and windows.  Makes you just want to start shaping armor and swords for the local knights.

Thank you and  :D !

Interesting though that all Hungarian made anvils follow this very shape. I mean every single piece which I've seen and was sure made in Hungary. If you want to buy an old anvil here it's doubtful you can find a different looking one. 

Although I have layed my eyes on one differnt looking very beautiful two-horned, they just didn't take my offer. And now when I have an anvil it would be very ugly to convince my wife we need an other for surviving  :(

ANd TPAAAT works here, too. So it's a technique with international applicability.

Greetings

Gergely