I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

The face was welded up from several slabs and it looks like the heel weld and the face plate slab weld were aligned making it more prone to failure at it.

TONS of life left in that anvil and a great price to boot especially in an anvil poor region!  I tell folks to look out for "damaged" anvils as they are often still very usable and often dirt cheap!

Cool thanks Thomas! I didn't know that they made the face plate with more then one piece that's interesting.

It's got the best rebound out of all my anvils. I have a bigger stump that I have to shorten for this anvil. It sits a little to high on this stump.

The old fellow wouldn't throw a number out and insisted I make him an offer. The smile on his face when I offered him $100 was priceless :)

I've got an old english Powell with the same faceplate/heel piece alignement---only mine is missing the entire heel.

As I recall Peter Wright was one of the first companies to brag that they used a one piece face plate---and that only after they had been making anvils for a considerable time! 

On some old anvils you can see where the plate pieces were welded as they wore differentially and so there will be shallow troughs across the face.

One anvil making two people happy!

Metal99,

I to had not seen on like that before. Was a little unsure when I bought it. After I got it home and did some reading on it I figured it out. Its the last series of trenton, top half is forged from single hunk of tool steel and arc welded to cast steel base. Made these from 35 to there closing in 53 if I remeber right. I also have a last series hay budden 304 pound forged top half of tool steel forge welded to a wrought base and the waist is the same width 7 inches for both. Heres a pic, to my eye they look pretty similar in overall porportions.

a6736e4d-6563-4a1f-ae27-96423d02feaf.jpg

Here is mine.  It's a 90 lbs Trenton that I picked up from a friend who has several anvils.  Not the best picture in the world, but up close, you can tell its been a user for a long time.  It does what I need it to do though.  I took this picture showing that friend how I mounted it using a stump from our local tree dump.

Also, this is my first post here, so... "Hi Howdy!"

TyvXfSk.jpg

Welcome aboard Tulsa, glad to have you. Nice looking anvil and a good weight for portability.  Seeing as blacksmithing has deep roots in recycling a dump stump anvil stand is perfect. You are sooooo going to fit in here.

Frosty The Lucky.

That you made? how? and Wow! Nice looking anvil. Thats majo mate comes to mind. :D

Oxy cutter, 9" Angle grinder, mill face cutter, mag base drill & welder.

Thanks for the comments. Ended up about 56 - 58 rockwell.

Oxy cutter, 9" Angle grinder, mill face cutter, mag base drill & welder.

Thanks for the comments. Ended up about 56 - 58 rockwell.

And a dab more than 4hrs I'll bet :D  Also yea the pics of the hammer please!

Nice work, PJH!

This evening, I traded a 140 pound Hay Budden for a 300+ pound anvil. My new/old anvil has absolutely no markings, but I think it is a Trenton by the bottom shaped footprint and the thin heel. In addition to the HB, there was money involved...plus boot going in both directions until equilibrium was reached. The big anvil is 34 1/4 inches long.post-74-0-32388000-1375141618_thumb.jpg

Picked up this Trenton this morning. 170lbs, 1" hardy, double pritchell, and a farriers clip. Very excited about it. The guy I bought it from looked up the serial number and came up with 1906 for the manufacture date.

I paid a bit more than I usually would have paid, but I couldn't pass it up.

post-13140-0-40282000-1375550991_thumb.j

post-13140-0-01155800-1375551005_thumb.j

post-13140-0-28254900-1375551018_thumb.j

post-13140-0-30055300-1375551044_thumb.j

post-13140-0-99516200-1375551058_thumb.j

This is my first real anvl and I'm very happy with it! It's a Fisher 8, about 76 lbs with a W-2 tool steel plate on top with a cast iron body. It doesn't ring at all but it still has a great rebound! 3/4" hardie and a 1/2" pritchell. The edges are clean and sharp and it has a nice step. Made in 1891. I paid $200 and it is worth every penny!

post-45022-0-19641700-1375689393_thumb.j