I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Just picked up a 150 lb Peter Wright anvil this afternoon and brought it to it's new home! It used to belong to the Grandfather of the lady I bought it from, I assured her it would have a good home! :) I also got a bunch of blacksmith tongs as part of the deal.

post-53382-0-51354500-1399953912_thumb.j

Just picked up a 150 lb Peter Wright anvil this afternoon and brought it to it's new home! It used to belong to the Grandfather of the lady I bought it from, I assured her it would have a good home! :) I also got a bunch of blacksmith tongs as part of the deal.

That is an anvil that is ready to get some work done! Good find.

New ASO that one fo the folks I hunt with found in his shed. I love the look of this and I really needed something with a horn since my rail chunk is just that, a chunk.  

That's no ASO! How dare you besmirch a perfectly usable tool? There's nothing wrong with a rail anvil, I've done a lot of good on one that looks just like the one the horned anvil is sitting on.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's no ASO! How dare you besmirch a perfectly usable tool? There's nothing wrong with a rail anvil, I've done a lot of good on one that looks just like the one the horned anvil is sitting on.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I besmirch my rail not at all. I have done good work with my rail anvil. I only call the horned anvill an ASO so people would not think I was putting on airs. All my tools are humble but even my most humble tool is solid and useful!

I got mine at a yard sale a few years ago. The husband hemmed and hawed when I asked about it but his wife said, EVERYTHING IN HERE IS FOR SALE! $50.00!

I actually dropped my wallet getting it out, it was apparently brand new and on sale in Wasilla going in the $270.00 range. It actually folds small enough it went right in the Saturn Vue.

At my age we're supposed to start smartening up and give our backs a rest.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard Bronco dude, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Out of curiosity, what is a comfortable working height for you're anvil faces?

Frosty The Lucky.