I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Here's my anvil, 450lbs of unknown make, found in a salvage yard.  The stand is made of 6 lengths of 10" by 6" timber, glued and bolted together, then sanded flat top and bottom (mechanically).

WP_000232.jpg

Here it is with my vice and "helper" attachments.  As you can probably see in my first photo, space is a little tight while we clean out the soon-to-be workshop, and I don't currently have anywhere to mount a vice so as my anvil has two hardy holes, I decided to make a Hardy vice, which works very well!

P7210148.jpg

Allright, ill get mine in here now that I have one :)

100lb brooks purchased for 250$ last week, I need to modify the stand it came with as one leg is about 1/4" shorter than the rest, which gives it a pretty savage wobble, plus its not actually connected to anything, just loosely caged by the two straps. so I gotta either shim and wedge it or just start from scratch and build myself a tripod.

might need to continue to employ my 55lb CI-ASO for the full size hardie though, the brooks is only a 5/8" :(

post-26562-0-62110600-1375733088_thumb.j

I had been looking and using the TRAAAT method for a month when I visited the local pre-owned metals dealer. One of their employees had informed them that I was looking for an anvil.  I was searching for a London pattern anvil, but they showed me out to the yard and a saw makers anvil.  A deal was struck that involved cash and a promise to print some photographs on my pigment inkjet printer and to make a custom knife sheath.  The truck scale said 383 lbs.  I didn't mind commiting to some future work considering that I ended up paying under a dollar a pound. It's 6-5/16" x 12-1/2" on the top, 12-1/2" x 16-1/2" at the base. The top steel plate is 5/8" thick.  It does not ring at all, and a ball bearing dropped at 12" rebounds to 10". I can read most of "Fisher" on one end, but the logo is almost unrecognizeable. It's in such good shape that I don't really want to beat on it, and will probably continue to use my approx. 75 Lb. 1940's excavator (steamshovel?) tooth for rough work.  I'm still a beginner; I've made kit knives, a few stock removal knives, and the last one a Finnish style forged Puukko. I enjoyed that so much that I want to do more!

FisherSawMakersAnvilTrademarkSide_DSC837FisherSawMakersAnvilSideView_DSC8379640xFisherSawMakersAnvilQuarterView_DSC83794FisherSawMakersAnvilLogoEnd_DSC8379425x6

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use a a papa rino that i bought from http://www.incandescent-iron.com/rhan.html

it is a papa rino, it is a great anvil and i have had no issues with it.

I designed the plate that the anvil sits on because i got tired of the rings and hardy tool holder breaking off or bending and the time it takes to weld all off them on. So I had the top plasma cut from 1/2" plate. It is very strong and is holding up well, I have sold 5 of the top plates and had no problems with them so far. I went with the 3 leg so it never wobbles and a shelf with expanded metal so the scale falls thru the shelf

post-25393-0-42179300-1376638967_thumb.jpost-25393-0-66684600-1376639005_thumb.j

post-25393-0-03011600-1376639213_thumb.j

Here are my "anvils" both are from a rock quarry. and both are cast steel

This one is from the rock crusher. It's half of one of the rock anvils. basically the rocks are thrown at it at high speed and break on impact. It's approximately 70 lbs

This is a broken tip off the rock breaker. The rock breaker goes on one of the large excavators and makes big rocks into slightly smaller rocks. It imparts 35,000 TONS of force into the end of the tip. and will be used as a post anvil. It weighs approximately 90 lbs.

Alright, my turn. Here is my baby. A 100 lb vulcan cast in 1943. Found in craigslist, paid 225 for it. In pretty good shape and i thought it was neat that it was manufactured less than an hours drive from where i live.
The Mad Rabbit

post-39916-0-06244300-1376682180_thumb.j

post-39916-0-06062100-1376682224_thumb.j

post-39916-0-90991900-1376682307_thumb.j

post-39916-0-34833200-1376682365_thumb.j

She works just fine for the work i do, but i still want another. Something close to the 200 lb range. But thats still a while off as i have no shop to speak of yet, just the shade of an elm tree to work under. In southern Illinois the winters get a bit too cold for me to be outdoors working, not to mention snow and ice freezi.g my poor girl.
The Mad Rabbit

I just can't wait till the stands fabricated to post it. I just got my 300 pound smithy special in yesterday. Boy is she beautiful. The rebound is way better than I thought it was going to be. Shot the hammer right back at me and that's it not even put on a proper stand. I can't wait to make beautiful things on this baby. I will give a full review on how she performs for people looking at buying a TFS smithy special.

post-25699-0-00983400-1377011703_thumb.j

post-25699-0-95953900-1377011747_thumb.j

post-25699-0-73748500-1377011776_thumb.j

Thanks. It took awhile to make. The body is 10 inch diameter and 7 inches tall. I used a hunk of 60 lb rail for the face. Split the web off, cut two ten inch pieces and welded them together. The "horn" is 1 3/4 round. I put the body on the cross slide of my lathe and drilled a 9/16 hole two inches deep. Turned a shank on the end of the 1 3/4. I used the lathe to spin/press fit them together. The heel is one of the plates that goes between rails and ties.

Thanks. It took awhile to make. The body is 10 inch diameter and 7 inches tall. I used a hunk of 60 lb rail for the face. Split the web off, cut two ten inch pieces and welded them together. The "horn" is 1 3/4 round. I put the body on the cross slide of my lathe and drilled a 9/16 hole two inches deep. Turned a shank on the end of the 1 3/4. I used the lathe to spin/press fit them together. The heel is one of the plates that goes between rails and ties.

That's a heck of an anvil you made yourself there. How's it work?

Frosty The Lucky.

MIne is a Trenton, about 155 pounds.  RIngs and rebounds pretty well, corners are ok.  Sitting on a big old sycamore round. 

While that's a good looking Trenton you have there I really like the helper. Look's a sweety to me.

Frosty The Lucky.