I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

Just got this petite little 357 pound (or so it's marked) Swedish Anvil - believe it's a Soderfors based on the marks.  Some edge damage, but nothing major.  Has been painted black, was for rust prevention according to the fellow I got it from.  Rebound is more than 90% over the middle and around 80-85%r around the hardie hole.  The hardie is 1-1/2 inches.  Anvil is 34-1/2 inches long and 5-1/2 inches on the face.

IMG_1504.jpg.bf2fd0637ed40a6aad4688df4ee7baf1.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1497 (3).jpg

You may remember my "hack" for making bottom swages for large hardy holes: buy top swages a with trashed/mushroomed/chipped hammering face and remove the handle and forge the eye into the stem for the large hardy hole. I rough them out with a sledge and then use my large screwpress to bump the sides flat and true.

It's wonderful having an anvil that just sits there when you are doing heavy work!  I would hazard that your has a loud ring to it as well.

3 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

Love the shape and horn as well.  Curious, why no pritchel? I use mine regularly

Good question. We did two of these as prototypes. Some historic ones in this style only had the Hardy. I do not want to put anything at the horn and deck transition as that area is often the sweet spot for my double horn customers. Complicating this one is the depth we would need to drill through the horn behind the Hardy. Lastly, I have a core i cast my double horn Pritchels and the core is not long enough for this one, that core box is cast iron. We may do more and we may cast a Pretchel. 

36 minutes ago, JHCC said:

That is beautiful. I think I have a new first choice for a new anvil.

Thank you, it really is a beautiful tool and i have thought about putting it my living room. Did we meet at SOFA by chance? We appreciate the support and advice this community has given us over the last two years! Cheers

Yip Yaye, tomorrow I will pick up my first own English style anvil. So far only 4 anvils in my possession with a double horn and German pattern (brand and weight previously described in this thread and some of them much too heavy for displacement) but now a Columbian of around 160 pounds take my attraction. Found it at the local CL. Will only buy it for the requested 243.36 $ if rebound (> 80) straightness and ring are Okay. Until now, always been on the road with only the 150 lbs UAT and an extra anvil made from railway track (50lbs), but soon possible with two full-fledged anvils and accompanying equipment and mobile blacksmith fires. Wish me luck.

FG -that is a special anvil an honor for your craft and the resurrection of the brand 'Made in USA'

$_86 (1).jpg

$_86.jpg

13 hours ago, Rojo Pedro said:

Love the shape and horn as well.  Curious, why no pritchel? I use mine regularly

It would be easy to make a "pritchel hole," bottom tool to drop in the hardy hole. 

Frosty The Lucky. 

1422927653_MyAnvil(resized).jpg.4837f6b1bf6489c55b67bada175008c1.jpg

This was a gift from the father of one of my best friends. It sat in a garage in Michigan for several years (note: rust). I believe it's Chinese. I don't know why there's a pritchel hole in the middle of the face. Can't wait to continue cleaning it with hot steel instead of a wire brush. 

Howdy to All...I'm aware that some don't like painted Anvils...This is My 1st Anvil and I needed the learning curve...So I'm sharing the journey 1-Bare 2-Masked off  3 & 4-Prime Etch 5-Paint  6 & 7-Paint Job.

Pic-1-1.jpg

Pic-1-2.jpg

Pic-2.jpg

Pic-3.jpg

Pic-4.jpg

Pic-5.jpg

Pic-6.jpg

Nothing wrong with painting "Your" anvil.  

The reason why people hate painted anvils is because the paint and bondo that has been put into all the holes, cracks and face chips disguises the faults when one comes to purchase it. 

I will paint most of my old anvils that make it into the spot light. 

You did a great job of painting it and left all the correct areas un painted.   Job well done. 

You also did a much better job than I do.. I just use Black Gloss oil based Rustoleum. 

23 hours ago, foundryguy said:

Our newest anvil at Holland Anvil. H13, 55 Rc, 235 lbs. This tool is 33.5 inches long and 3.875 wide. 

I really like that anvil. It looks very functional. I especially like the transition from horn to face. 

Pnut