I Forge Iron

Show me your anvil

I plan to make a good end to use, as well. That way I can flip it to end or edge.  I don't know what steel it is, but I suspect a low to medium carbon content, (based upon sparks) around 30 or so, but don't know the alloy. It has a slight ring to it, when struck on end.  It's made from the piece that it's sitting on.  I cut two 12" pieces, surfaced the mating surfaces, beveled, and sewed them together with 7014 rod. (what I had on hand)

Blue rooster, that is going to make a nice anvil. 

Burgersmith, congratulations on the nice anvil, I’m in the Baton Rouge area. Have you joined LAMA, Louisiana Metalworkers Association? We have several smiths in the area and have monthly meetings where experienced smiths help us learn. 

I’m a grown adult, away from home in a hotel room on my own with internet access.  This ‘show me your anvil’ thread is my go to to cheer myself up.  I love them all! Am I weird? 

bluerooster, I reckon that anvil will save you some hammer swings. Great project.